my foot is in my mouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my foot is in my mouth

well i've officially placed my foot in my mouth for all my ranting about tube amps. im so pissed at Marshall right its not even funny. I spent $1500 on a brand new TSL 100one year ago in may. I've played 4 gigs with it. Other than that, i've just used it in my own house. So far its been in the shop twice. First time was because the reverb was broken. The guy had to replace a resistor on the circuit board to fix it. Then, the footswitch wouldn't change channels on the head anymore. Had to take it in again for the guy to order me a new footswitch. Tonight i decided to play it for a little. Turn it on....she's humming like palm sander. Now i've been very patient with the repairs up until now. When you spend $1500 on a tube amplifier from a reputable company like Marshall, you expect it to be a quality product. Maybe i just got a "bad seed"...but this thing has caused more problems in my life than a woman. And worst of all, its past the purchase period, so i can't just return it for another one which is what i really want to do. I shouldn't have to repair a brand new product this much. It should be replaced, no questions asked. Hopefully that will happen. Thanks for listening to me vent. I needed that.
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    I always think of man bulge
    "How 'bout are you willin' to make the commitment, wakin' up, goin' okay, it's gig time, what t-shirt am I gonna wear?"-Tenacious D

Re: my foot is in my mouth

Everyone I've known thats had a Marshall TSL, or DSL series amp seems to have nothing but problems with it. Thats soo odd, when you consider the price and what not. You shouldn't be haveing this sorta problem with a high end amp. Sorry ta hear about it. I have no advice to offer. But thought ya might feel better ta know your not the only one geting screwed by marshall.
    www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
    I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Yes, I'm sorry to hear that too, been hearing it much too often lately.
      I've had my JCM 602 for years and years, and had absolutly no problems with it, use it hard just about every weekend. And the JCM600's were supposed to have reliability issues... go figure!
      " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Originally posted by Low_fidelity2100
        Everyone I've known thats had a Marshall TSL, or DSL series amp seems to have nothing but problems with it. Thats soo odd, when you consider the price and what not. You shouldn't be haveing this sorta problem with a high end amp. Sorry ta hear about it. I have no advice to offer. But thought ya might feel better ta know your not the only one geting screwed by marshall.
        the only people i've never heard complain are those that own a JCM 800 or 900.
        "How 'bout are you willin' to make the commitment, wakin' up, goin' okay, it's gig time, what t-shirt am I gonna wear?"-Tenacious D

Comment

Originally posted by hareek
          the only people i've never heard complain are those that own a JCM 800 or 900.
          Yeah, or the people that have the older amps, Or The really good handwired reissues. But still even some of the handwired reissues have problems.

I've never owned a marshall So I have no real personal experiance, Just the stuff I hear from friends. So I Have No idea for sure. Maybe everyone I know just happens to get the bad apples, I dunno.

Comment

i just want a personal apology from Jim himself and a brand new TSL 100 head with no problems. is that asking a little too much? haha

Comment

Originally posted by hareek
              i just want a personal apology from Jim himself and a brand new TSL 100 head with no problems. is that asking a little too much? haha
              Nah thats not asking too much....when you get that appology, Make sure you let me know. I've always wanted to go ice skateing in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Low_fidelity2100
                Nah thats not asking too much....when you get that appology, Make sure you let me know. I've always wanted to go ice skateing in hell.
                dude.........your into ice skating? haha

Comment

I've got mixed feelings about mine. I had to go through about 3 or 4 footswitches before I got one that finally lasted. Mine had the same problem as yours with the chanel switching. Their pedal design is horrible. As far as the rest of the stuff I don't know what to tell you. I know someone with the TSL combo and his reverb broke but that was only after it was banged around in his car on a rough road for a considerable drive.

My two gain chanels just went out on mine and I had to have it repaired. He said that there is one preamp tube that drives the rest and it was out. Something about if one is out, its not gonna work. But I can't really complain because its seen the country a couple of times. Its lived in road cases, but shaking and bumps are still not too easy on it. So I can't really say that its that bad of an amp reliability wise. Wish you the best of luck though. And if you're really worried about it, just send it to Voodoo amps and have them work it over. Once they mod it I'm sure it'll be more reliable, might have a warranty with them, and will sound loads better.
                  DayGlo

Comment

I've heard some say the TSL's have some bugs to them.... I have my eyes open as i want to buy a new Marshall oneday..... Hope they fix any bugs before i can afford one...

Comment

i swear, marshall and gibson, the "industry standard", are both just going to crap.

Even the output transformers are junk.

I'm convinced that if someone built a jcm2000 from the ground up with quality parts, it'd sound like an entirely different amp
                      Originally posted by gibson175
                      metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by suislidE03
                        The JCM 600 and 602 are different series of amps. I don't know much about the 600 series really, but the 602 is the JCM 2000 TSL series. Anyone know the 600's precedent?
                        Sorry to disagree with you, but in the JCM600 line- the JCM600 is the head only, the JCM601 is the 1x12 combo, and the JCM602 is the 2X12 combo- the front panel of mine says JCM600,although it has 2x12. It is a 1995 model. The JCM line is closer to the DSL, in that it only has two switchable channels.
                        I think you may be confusing the JCM600 with the JTM60- which was the forerunner of the JCM600 they are basically the same amp, the JCM has some minor mods to improve the circuit board cooling, and a few other small changes. The schematics are almost identical between the two.
                        Last edited by marvar; 01-13-2006, 07:54 AM.

Comment

well its friday the 13th, but maybe i'll have some good luck. I'm headin to Guitar Center at 10 to see what they say. Maybe by some grace of all that is holy, i'll walk out with a new tsl 100. If not im gonna yell until it happens. and if that doesn't work, then its off to the repair shop for the third time in 5 months. wish me luck.

Comment

>Dude,

ok i have to say this again......
                            i had a JTM60 that i had nothing but problems with. Marshall bites in my opinion.
                            do a search for threads with JTM60 in it and you will find me *****ing.

I would Never ever buy another Marshall except if it was an old one. All i hear from people is how cheap and unreliable they are.
                            i know some people are gonna hate me for this, but if you want a Marshall but a Clone cause there are so many of those guys that are doing it the way Marshall isnt.

Marshalls need to come with techs included to take care of the amp every ten days or so

Forget Marshall.
                            Ibanez Roadstar II
                            EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
                            VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

Originally posted by tone?
                              >Dude,

ok i have to say this again......
                              i had a JTM60 that i had nothing but problems with. Marshall bites in my opinion.
                              do a search for threads with JTM60 in it and you will find me *****ing.

I would Never ever buy another Marshall except if it was an old one. All i hear from people is how cheap and unreliable they are.
                              i know some people are gonna hate me for this, but if you want a Marshall but a Clone cause there are so many of those guys that are doing it the way Marshall isnt.

Marshalls need to come with techs included to take care of the amp every ten days or so

Forget Marshall.
                              Sorry to hear that Marshall has left a bad taste in your mouth-
                              Over the long number of years I've been playing, I've had alot of different amps- Fenders, Boogies,Sunn, Sound City, even Peavey's, and quite a few Marshalls- I've never had any problems with any of the above amps- but nothing does it for me like a Marshall.
                              To each his own ,use what works for you

Comment

Working...
                              X