70's Fender Amp Guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70's Fender Amp Guys...

What was the name of the 1970s 300w or so Fender amp with 3 handles on the top?

Where can I find info on that beast?
    *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
    Originally posted by Slash2987
    Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
    Originally posted by PVFan
    I'm a good sex man.
    Originally posted by Grumpy
    I am just jug the merlot.

Re: 70's Fender Amp Guys...

I think this is what your talking about. Fender's idea of a SVT.
    http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/400ps_bass.html
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

The 400PS is an interesting animal..... It remains as the only tube amp ever known that will safely run without any speakers plugged in!!!!. This is due to fact that the cathodes are disconnected entirely until one of the three speaker jacks is used. (an idea utilized by your's truly to make amps much more "bulletproof"....ok, so I "borrowed it" from this design.. )
      Each spkr jack, turns "on" a pair of 6550's....(which proved to be a really bad idea) You can actually get all six 6550's to work by simply inserting a 1/4" plug into all the speaker outs...the plates are all tied together. Naturally nobody figured this out and even if they did, it was pretty pointless.

Unfortunately, for Fender, most could only afford one cabinet and that configuration was easily dwarfed by the much less expensive Super Bassman (69-71) and to add insult to injury, the Bassman 100 into the same cabinet...and the PS400 was three times the cost.(not the best thinking) and SVT's still ate them for lunch regardless of how many cabs you had...

Probably explains their rather "short" production run. In theory, they could easily be re-engineered to be the most powerful tube amp ever made.....but given the rarity of them, no real point!

They were originally advertised as the "no-conversation piece", but unfortunately that's exactly what they became....

Jeff Seal
      ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
      www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

That's EXACTLY the one I was thinking of!

I can get my grubby mitts on one of these for next to nothing.

I'm kind of getting the hankerin' for a tube bass amp. More or less for something a little different. I've never been a real fan of the SVT or the Sunn 300, but I also haven't put a lot of time into eq-ing them either. I'm much more into the solid state bass amps, but enough headroom should be the way to go.

This thing would CRUSH through my 2x15!

Of course, not that I'd want to haul around an 85 lb head to match my 115 lb cab...
        Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
        I'm a good sex man.

Comment

I found one of those in a pawn shop years ago...I didn't get it though, another guy I told about it picked it up and ended up selling it a little later. Of course, I wasn't playing bass at the time, just guitar...kinda wish I had snagged it back then!
          Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
          It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

GB, those amps are very similar to the Sunn bass amps. Just so you know.

It even looks like a Sunn Model T, or something along those lines to me.
            Originally posted by Kyuss_Rock
            Thats what I like to hear. Family massacre heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedDemon
              GB, those amps are very similar to the Sunn bass amps. Just so you know.

It even looks like a Sunn Model T, or something along those lines to me.
              However, 135w more.

Jeff, does that run down to 2 ohms, or is that really pushing it?
              I'm a good sex man.

Comment

The trannies will handle 2 ohms with no problem......in reality, 1.33 ohms was what they were designed to push....massive doesn't begin to describe it!

But again, a SVT will still outperform it..... but then again everyone has a SVT.....right?!

Jeff Seal
                ..lots and lots of toys!

"I am Phil"....
                www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

1.33 ohms...

I'm running all 3 of my cabs!

When you say "outperform" what do you mean by that? I'm looking for a lot of clean headroom, with as little "sag" as possible.

Originally posted by Jeff Seal
                  but then again everyone has a SVT.....right?!

I'm a good sex man.

Comment

The output of an SVT is about twice what the output of the 400PS is.....sorta strange the preamp isn't stouter given they were trying to compete with the Ampeg's. The tone selectors are vastly superior on the Ampegs.

Again, it could easily be modded to outperform any other bass amp, but it just doesn't compare in it's stock form.

JS
                    ..lots and lots of toys!

"I am Phil"....
                    www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Seal
                      Again, it could easily be modded to outperform any other bass amp, but it just doesn't compare in it's stock form.
                      Jeff,

The one I could get a hold of is kind of a basket case- we haven't gone through it to see exactly what's wrong with it. We were going to fix up a Sunn 350 L, but it was totalled.

What things can you recommend to make this thing worth the effort?
                      Last edited by The Golden Boy; 01-15-2006, 11:24 AM.
                      I'm a good sex man.

Comment

Working...
                      X