Fender Twin and pedals issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Twin and pedals issue

I dont know if I have been looking at pedals wrong. Well I have this fender twin (well actually its my brothers but in the same house). The only pedal i have is a digitec rp7 pedal board which is alright but when its used with the Fender it flattens the tone and almost makes it sound like a solidstate. could the because the pedal board has a preamp tube section. I have been wanting a new amp forever but can not find a good tube amp that has the versitility that I am looking for. I like Fender amps (twin reverb, deluxe reverb). Will i have simlar tonal problems when using single overdrive units pedlas with the tube amp.

Thanks my search has been so frustrating.
    Fender and Squier Guitars, Crate Amps and Seymour Duncan Pickups.

Re: Fender Twin and pedals issue

I play thru a Super Reverb and a Deluxe Reverb. I try to keep the volume on the Super below 5 to keep it clean and the Deluxe about the same. I use a Spina Modded TS9 to increase Sustain and give the Amp a little push. It works exactly the way I want it to. I think the issue you are having may be related to the multi effect processor you are using.

A Twin is one of the CLeanest loudset AMps I have ever used. They take pedals very well.... you should not have any trouble getting a good OD/DIstortion pedal to do what you need. IF you are attempting to get a Twin to sound like a Plexi..... well that may be a problem. Great amp Try some different pedals before you decide which one will give you the siund you want. I have used a variety of OD pedals in both my Deluxe and my Super. Here are the Pedals I have used.

1. Marshall Bluesbreaker..... Great OD pedal sound really natural thru a tube amps.

2. Boss Super OD. I used this for over 10 years with no major issues. It does what it is supposed to. Nice smoothe OD.

3. Ibanez TS9 RI. I use this with my Super today and it sounds great.

4. Ibanez Ts9 RI (modded by our Stratdeluxer97). I use this pedal with my Deluxe. It works very well with this Amp. The bottom is thick and the gain is much stronger than the original.

Out of the pedals I have listed abouve an inexpensive choice would be the Boss Super Over Drive. You can buy one new for around $40.00 and it is a good overall OD pedal. If you don't mind spending a little more for about $100. you can get the TS9 RI. IMO the TS9 is a little more natural sounding and if you get it modded by you know who it will sound like your amp Dimed!!!
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

well, I really like the deluxe reverb. I am just not sure about how well it will take pedals. I think the problem with the digitech is it really doesnt have a true bypass. for a overdrive pedal i was looking at boss blues overdrive.

Comment

I mean this in a nice way - but your PROBLEM is the RP7. I have a friend that uses one through a Vox AC30 and it makes that amp sound like SH*T. I just don't want to be the one to tell him. There are better units to consider. If you get a full bodied pedal you can get all the gain you need thru a Twin. A lot of famous players actually use Twins behind their stacks of Marshalls (I won't say who). It won't be as rude as a Marshall, but for less than hard, hard rock, I would consider keeping the Twin and using something else.

Twins are a little too much on the clean side for me. You should consider the ones with 25w attenuation. Also, I prefer the sound of the Jensen speakers. The 65 reiussues sound great! Speakers are a HUGE part of the equation in making them sound classic and full, rather than hi fi and harsh.
        1973 Les Paul Standard
        1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

I figured the problem was the RP7. I dont really like the thing, we just have it around the house. It was fun for a while but I really only need a great clean that doesnt break up to bad and then i nice gain channel. Thats why I was looking into boogies F50, but after exprience with the fender twin and the DRRI I dont think I can go back. I mean if I have to compare my tones, I am probably similar to john mayer. I have gotten to a point in my guitar playing that I need something better than my crate and I cant really afford a Deluxe Reverb and a JTM45, which would be my dream set up. I am in college and that would be alittle too much space for my jailcell, I mean dorm room.

Comment

anyone else have exprience with these amps?

Comment

RP7 is also the new modeling type of multifx units, meant to replace an amp and not work with real guitar amps.... The RP7 even thogh not the greatest units would sound much better direct to a PA, recording sorce, or a keyboard amp.... Something that would reproduce the RP7's sound banks without adding colour.... A Fender Twin may be the cleanest amp going it is still a guitar amp and it will not reproduce the sounds in the RP7 well enough to pass the grade...

Comment

I think you need an amp that breaks up a bit like an AC30, Deluxe, etc etc

You can consider Matchless, mayyybe Budda. I am a fan of The Mesa Boogie Blue Angel as a cheaper alternative for EL84s.

Just some ideas.
                1973 Les Paul Standard
                1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

The Blue Angel is the only BOogie I plugged into thet really got the sounds that I like. A great Amp.
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

burn that rp7 and stick with single pedals.

i had a twin from 18-26 and played maybe 500 gigs with it. what i have found to be true is that most multifx dont sound good thru a vintage style amp. it almost always kills some of the tone.

even the boss gt8 or gnx4 dont cut it

Comment

I think I am probably going to go the the Deluxe Reverb. breaks up alittle lower volume than the twin and probably go with the Route 66 Overdrive pedal. Thanks guys. I thought it was that ****y RP7. I do hate it, its fun with headphones though

Comment

I don't like most digital pedals in front of a tube amp, certainly not digital OD units like the Digitech line or Pods. I have a Princeton that is very clean all the way to 10. I have had trouble finding an OD pedal that sounds good with it. My Fulldrive 2, which sounds great with all of my other tube amps (Fenders, Gibsons, Bad Cat), sounds poor through the Princeton -- too grainy sounding. Right now I'm testing a Damage Control Womanizer, and it sounds great with the Princeton, as well as my other amps -- also sounds great direct to a mixer. It's very expensive at $375, but I think it just might be worth it, since it provides excellent OD tube tone in front of an amp and/or direct to the board and it has a wonderful opto-compressor that beats any stomp comp I've tried (including Keeley, Rt. 66, HBE CPR).

Comment

I think you need to try the new Duncan pedal when it comes out in March. That should be killer though a Twin OR Deluxe.
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I guess I am just going to keep looking. There are couple amps I still want to play. Fender Bassman RI and there is a THD dealer around here those univalves look interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Telesexual
                              I dont know if I have been looking at pedals wrong. Well I have this fender twin (well actually its my brothers but in the same house). The only pedal i have is a digitec rp7 pedal board which is alright but when its used with the Fender it flattens the tone and almost makes it sound like a solidstate. could the because the pedal board has a preamp tube section. I have been wanting a new amp forever but can not find a good tube amp that has the versitility that I am looking for. I like Fender amps (twin reverb, deluxe reverb). Will i have simlar tonal problems when using single overdrive units pedlas with the tube amp. Thanks my search has been so frustrating.
                              Well first off, what is the RP7? And no, I wouldn't think the preamp tube section would be at fault, but the RP7 could be dying. I would think you wouldn't have similar problems, but I'd try testing other things out, sort of trial and error, see what the problem is. Sometimes amps go bad, sometimes it's pedal boards. If you want to simulate an overdrive pedal, and your amp has a separate channel and master volume, put channel at 10 and master at 5, that should simulate an overdrive. Try it.
                              My Music Page
                              Originally posted by vinterland
                              I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
                              Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

Working...
                              X