Richie Sambora's Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richie Sambora's Amps

What amps did Richie Sambora use in the early Bon Jovi albums? I'm thinking the tone on 7800 Farenheit in particular, I really like that Marshall-on-steroids tone, unlike a lot of higher gain tones its chock full of cutting mids that sounds really cool. I know he uses JCM2000 DSL's now.

I suspect he used modded 1959 SuperLeads or JCM800's, but if they were modded, who by? I've heard he had heads modded by Jose Arrendo, and I've got a schematic for his gain stage mods but haven't yet tried it out. Now that I've got my perfect Plexi finished and am really happy with the tone, I'd love to have a 80s style modded Marshall for tonal variation in studio work. Although I've designed my own 100% switchable gain stage mod, I'd like to try whatever Richie was using back in the 80s.
    Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
    Marshall Mods

Re: Richie Sambora's Amps

I saw him 6 days ago live and he is currently using 2 Diezel Herberts and 2 65 heads with 2 or 4 4X12 cabs (couldn't tell because if the stage set-up). I am not sure from that period. No MP1?
    MY MUSIC

When the going get's tough I get a machinegun.

Comment

Yup, he's using Diezel's now. Absolutely great tone too. That was one awesome show.

Back in the 80's, it was Marshall JCM800's I believe, but the channel switchers I think.

Comment

If memory serves, I remember seeing stacks of Marshall JCM800s behind him during live footage from that era.

He's also always used a an OD pedal to push the amps harder.

I've seen footage of him using Marshalls (JCM800s?), Fender Tone Master Stacks, Marshall DSL stacks, Diesels and (imo) he's always had a great guitar tone

Comment

Yeah, he's usually just used the current Marshall, whatever it was.
          The only time he had a terrible tone was when he was using Fender Tonemasters in the mid 90's. I hate those amps! Great cleans, and a cheese grater for a gain tone.

If he's using Diezels and 65Amps now, he's got no tonal problems whatsoever.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
          X