banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2x12 vs. 1x12 for non-gigging player - yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2x12 vs. 1x12 for non-gigging player - yes or no?

I currently have a 1x12 combo and was thinking of getting the matching closed back 1x12 extension cab or even an Avater 2x12 and wondered if it's worth having tonewise. Would you go for the extra cab if you had the money?

P.S. I do on occasion play with a drummer but it really isn't a factor in the decision
    Last edited by SoCalSteve; 01-24-2006, 06:08 PM.
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Re: 2x12 vs. 1x12 for non-gigging player - yes or no?

I always prefer 2x12s... the sound seems fuller and louder with the same wattage. Of course thats just extra speaker coverage and more moving air but hey I trust my ears.

Plus with the extra cab and a long speaker cable you can do some cool placement tricks. When i had my old power trio when i was 16-17 I had a 2x12 combo on one side of the drumkit and a 2x12 cab on the other side... bassist did the same thing with his rig using appropriate bass cabs. For a powe trio we filled out a LOT of sound! I didnt need to go into the PA so that freed up channels for vox and drums.

sorry I'm rambling... yeah I'd for for a good 2x12.... why not?
    Last edited by B2D; 01-24-2006, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Yeah the fullness is probably what I'm looking for. I've got a Vintage 30 and I was thinking of going with a G12H30 in the other one if I get it-seems to be a popular combo.
      Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

A 1x12 ext. cab should be a significant improvement in the overall sound, not quite sure how hard you want to push your amp, but I'm sure that 2x12s will be sufficient in what you want to do.

Comment

B2D, I was even thinking a 2x12 would give me options down the road as far as heads or whatever if I want something other than my Traynor. Maybe a Valvetronix head also.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
            A 1x12 ext. cab should be a significant improvement in the overall sound, not quite sure how hard you want to push your amp, but I'm sure that 2x12s will be sufficient in what you want to do.
            I knew I could count on you guys to justify spending money on gear!

Comment

Most 1x12s that don't sound boxy to me aren't much smaller than some 2x12s. It also gives you more options as far as speakers since you're not putting all the wattage through a single speaker.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
              My Music

Comment

My main gigging amp is either a Mesa Mark III or Mark IV combo with the 112 EV speakers, and whenever possible--a 112 EVM Mesa Theile cab. I love these rigs!!!! The Mesas have enough power for any situation, and can be stepped down to about 15-30 watts Class A. Not only does the Theile cab give me extra bass and a lot of projection, it raises the amp up to where the controls are more at hand.

The extension cab is great idea. Even amps like Peavey's Classic 30 benefit from using its matching 112E cab; and a basic Transtube 112 Bandit is a whole different animal with a 112SX cab.

Hmmm...better projection, better dispersion, better ergonomics; and since you're now splitting the load between two speakers, better reliability and longer life.....what's not to love about an extension cab???

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

From a technical aspect, with 2 speakers there is a 6dB boost in output over a single speaker. Although, with varying driver sensitivities this may vary.

Comment

If you're not gigging and you don't need to cover a wide area with sound, a 1x12'' is sufficient (there really is no need for anything more). As others have mentioned, there will be a boost in volume with a second speaker, so keep that in mind (especially if you're striving for bedroom volumes).
                    Originally posted by kevlar3000
                    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                    Originally posted by Zerberus
                    Better is often the enemy of good
                    Originally posted by ginormous
                    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Wasup my main man, Steve?

I actually found the "natural breathing" of a 2x12 to be the biggest benefit. It just seems that a 1x12 open-back is more of a sonic "spotlight", and a 2x12 open-back is more of a sonic "floodlight". The 2x12 offers wider attack, and a broader "sweet spot" without the spikey center. Hmmm, I do not know if you remember the oversize tennis racket craze in the early 1980's...but the wider "sweetspot" rendered the old rackets obsolete.

Do I feel that 1x12's are obsolete? NEVER! I actually sold my Carvin 4x12 after got a 1x12 Fender cab loaded with 1, 200 Watt EVM 12L speaker years ago. I used my ears. The quality of the EVM speaker said YESSS! This was over a decade before the internet so, it really was the Dark Ages. If I had happened to stumble onto a 2x12 at the time...I may have taken it. Speaker quality does play a major part of this whole dicussion.

Your added indepedent cabinet sounds great for sound dispersion AND cabinet placement flexibility.

Does a 4x12 make a better sonic "floodlight" than a 2x12? Nooo Wayy! Usually 4x12 cabs are closed back and are too often like Lighthouse "searchlights"...all projection and to little open-ness in any room smaller than an empty two car garage (too much like trying to swing a shotgun around in a closet!).
                      Last edited by Sludgenutz; 01-24-2006, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sludgenutz
                        Wasup my main man, Steve?

I actually found the "natural breathing" of a 2x12 to be the biggest benefit. It just seems that a 1x12 open-back is more of a sonic "spotlight", and a 2x12 open-back is more of a sonic "floodlight". The 2x12 offers wider attack, and a broader "sweet spot" without the spikey center. Hmmm, I do not know if you remember the oversize tennis racket craze in the early 1980's...but the wider "sweetspot" rendered the old rackets obsolete.

Do I feel that 1x12's are obsolete? NEVER! I actually sold my Carvin 4x12 after got a 1x12 Fender cab loaded with 1, 200 Watt EVM 12L speaker years ago. I used my ears. The quality of the EVM speaker said YESSS! This was over a decade before the internet so, it really was the Dark Ages. If I had happened to stumble onto a 2x12 at the time...I may have taken it. Speaker quality does play a major part of this whole dicussion.

Your added indepedent cabinet sounds great for sound dispersion AND cabinet placement flexibility.

Does a 4x12 make a better sonic "floodlight" than a 2x12? Nooo Wayy! Usually 4x12 cabs are closed back and are too often like Lighthouse "searchlights"...all projection and to little open-ness in any room smaller than an empty two car garage (too much like trying to swing a shotgun around in a closet!).
                        Thanks for the input Ray. I'm sort of in an undecided area right now. While I like the tone of the Traynor I still feel something's missing. And if I get another cab, by the time I'm done I may as well have gotten a higher priced amp. I'm also considering a Valvetronix. Or maybe I just need to chill and enjoy what I have at this point in time.

Comment

I like Sludgenut's analogy......1-12 = spotlight. 2-12 = floodlight.

That means 4 4-12's would be 'daylight?' hahahahaha

I should have a new motto. More is Better. LOL
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Definitely 2x12, the jump in the size of the sound is huge between 1x12 and 2x12. For two reasons, 1) depth perception, 2) the sound of the wood of the cabinet itself vibrating, particularly the backboard. The speaker projects forward, but the back of a closed cabinet projects backwards too, particularly low frequencies. There are a couple very well known guitar bands whose secret to big tone is a mic pointed at the base of the back of the cabinet. But that's another story.

So definitely 2x12 and preferably a single 2x12 cabinet and not two separate 1x12's.

And if I can make a personal recommendation, check out VHT Fatbottom and Deliverance 2x12's.

Comment

*cough* Bogner OS 2X12 *cough*
                              Originally posted by kevlar3000
                              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                              Originally posted by Zerberus
                              Better is often the enemy of good
                              Originally posted by ginormous
                              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
                              X