Speaker wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker wiring question

The Vintage 30 in my combo amp has 2 posts for the positive and 2 for the negative. Of course 1 of each is being used by the amp iself. Is it okay to connect a different head up to the remaining posts and use the speaker in my combo? I'd like to trial a Valvetronix head before taking the full plunge for separate cab.
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Re: Speaker wiring question

Those posts are there so you can connect speakers together in a multi-speaker cab. It's fine to connect another amp to that speaker as long as you...

1) Keep the combo amp switched off

2) Match the impedance of the external amp to the speaker

3) Don't exceed the power handling of the speaker

Comment

I'd disconnect the wires from the combo amp first. Though if you keep the combo amp off I don't think you'd hurt anything. I'd disconnect them to be on the safe side since thinking tends to get me into trouble.

EDIT: looks like Simon F beat me to it.

Comment

Thanks guys. I thought it would be okay and is sort of obvious but I always wondered why they have two posts instead of one.
        Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Working...
        X