gibson goldtone rv-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gibson goldtone rv-15

anyone have one of these. came with a celestion vintage 30, tone was to bright with this though, put in a reissue greenback, sounds better but kinda boxy, anyone know of what speaker may go good with this amp, play rock&blues
    thanks
    Fender American Standard Strat Hard Tail- SSL-2 set
    American Special Tele- Antiquity set
    American Standard Tele-stock
    Music Man Stinray Bass
    Martin DR Acoustic

Re: gibson goldtone rv-15

Alnico Blue Dog? It is an EL84 amp, unless I'm mistaken.

Comment

I've got one and kind of like it the way it is. Although, I have been toying around with loading a 2x12 cab I've got with some Eminence British flavored speakers and running in it thru that. I also run a RC Boost thru the amp as it is right now, which enables me to tone down the bite a little bit. Where do you set your Tone knob? Have you tried running it at half power and or using the low gain input?
      Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
      www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

i keep the tone at 12, been using with a maxon tube overdrive, been using with a fender 1x12closed backed cab also with a green back and it sounds pretty good, just looking for the right internal speaker more for clean tones of say deluxe reverb, heard weber makes a good alnico blue just wasn't sure of the tone. do you have problems with hum on reverb when using internal speaker
        thanks
        Fender American Standard Strat Hard Tail- SSL-2 set
        American Special Tele- Antiquity set
        American Standard Tele-stock
        Music Man Stinray Bass
        Martin DR Acoustic

Comment

I keep my Tone knob down to 9:00-8:00 when using the full 15 watts, and around 10:00 when the watts are down to 6.

As for hum, no I don't have any hum issues. However, I did have a lot of noise problems when I was trying out different tubes in this amp. I don't know if the speaker being so close to the tubes was the cause, but every NOS tube I tried in the amp made for all kinds of noises. Finally I resigned myself to sticking with JJ's. The reason I think it was the speaker is that when I was using an external cab, the noises didn't occur.

I have given thought to a Weber Blue Dog, but I'm also considering several Eminence speakers as well.
          Not a 5150 Kramer, but a 5149 1/2 Shamer
          www.bigmouthbetty.com

Comment

try the celestion G12H30 anniversary- I had an amp similar to yours, and I put the G12 in and it was just what I was looking for-tried the GB, and the V30. THe G12 made it sound very musical.
            " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

anything blue!!! epecially a celestion
              Gondola Kid
              Bandcamp
              Facebook
              JimijaymesGuitarist
              Youtube

Comment

Working...
              X