New Tube Amp Handbook Is Great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Tube Amp Handbook Is Great!

late here, but after much deciding how to best get it from US to Singapore, I finally clicked for -2- books from Amazon. One for me, one for a friend who wants to give it as a birthday present for his bandmate.

It's only 15.72USD at the moment, and 2 books ensure free shipping in US. Sweet.

Comment

I also recently bought two more books from the Dave Hunter series, one on classic guitar rigs and another on guitar effects pedals. Both are highly yummy.

- Keith
      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
      I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I did pick up the book but haven't had time to read it so far. Until tomorrow, 8.5 hour plane ride to Honolulu from Houston.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
          I did pick up the book but haven't had time to read it so far. Until tomorrow, 8.5 hour plane ride to Honolulu from Houston.
          Enjoy yourself Scott....You'll really enjoy the book alot...
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by KGMESSIER
            I also recently bought two more books from the Dave Hunter series, one on classic guitar rigs and another on guitar effects pedals. Both are highly yummy.

- Keith
            So tell me(show me) about the other two books. The effects pedal one really does sound cool!!!
            I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

WOOHOO!! After nearly two months my copy of this finally arrived!!

This is looking like exactly what I need - a way into understanding what goes on inside these magic boxes.

Thanks for the recommendation John.
              Last edited by Simon_F; 03-24-2006, 06:20 PM.

Comment

oh less than 25 bucks... that's ok ... why didn't I look for the price on the first read ... 1 stock on amazon...
                RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                TS 7 (modded)
                Hot Rod 50+ XL
                Framus Dragon 4x12
                V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Wow - that's great! I'm definitely going to pick up a copy. I've read a lot of the stuff posted by Randall Smith and it's been pretty interesting, but I've heard from some knowledgeable folks that what he says isn't 100% accurate, especially concerning class A designs.

I have no way of knowing, myself, but I love reading about gear. I guess that makes me a dork. Oh well.
                  -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

I couldn't remember what book you had recommended a couple of weeks ago and just happened to pick up this incredible book in Borders......it was the same Dave Hunter book. You were 100% right! Great and useful information on tube amps.
                    '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Glad you guys like the book....I told you all you would!
                      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Hey John, I actually bought this book 2 days ago and I friggin' love it too! It's amazing for beginners and those with more experience alike. I too would advise it to anyone.

Comment

Does it talk about biasing tubes? Since I'll hopefully be getting a tube amp soon, this is the only bit of maintenance I don't understand at all. I'd probably get it anyway though
                          The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
                          And Here on Bandcamp!
                          Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

I thought it to be rather general, good information for those folks that are "new" to the guts of their amps. I could have used this a few years ago. I especially enjoyed the interviews in the back of the book.

It's a good read.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
                            X