Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Subwoofer Question.?

Oops. Didn't realise it was active

Ok for just under twice the price of the behringer would be I could get A JBL
    M PRO 255 S 200 SeriesJBLhttp://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_jbl_m_pro_255_s_200_series_subwoofer_prodin fo.html?sn=09ece959250f6b06051fde5bfd1e82da

link to JBL site>> http://www.jblpro.com/mpro/series_200.htm
    It's a Dual 15" Sub, it would also look well with the Grey carpeted ALTO tops..

I don't see how 1 of them Couldn't be too little for even a small-med sized Club So i guess if i'm spending my own cash i might aswell get good quality everything!!

So if that would be a satisfactory Sub what would your recommendation be for a Power amp?

keep in mind that for a power amp i might buy a good and powerful one to use for the TOPs instead of the 600w Alto one so as I could maximise headroom where its much more important..?

Thanks again benjy, ks and muttons

EDIT: have you had any experience with Crown Poweramps or Phonic? I see 2 pretty powerful ones in my immediate price range.
    Last edited by y2stevo; 03-03-2006, 12:05 PM.
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

I can highly recommend crown power amps. IMO best in the buisness.
      - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
      Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
      Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
      I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake OvenŽ of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

Originally posted by ksmith63
        I can highly recommend crown power amps. IMO best in the buisness.
        Cool

Do you have experience with the XLS series?
        I was looking at the XLS 602 II

Thanks
        Marshall JVM 410C
        Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

Crown is solid, but the QSC RMX series has a better slew rate (it reacts faster). This is desireable in a power amp used with subs.

If you aren't clipping the amp for your mains, just get the big amp for the subs.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Oh yeah. Those M Pro cabs romp.

Comment

I have tons of exp. with the CE series (1000 and 2000), the K2 (i think thats what its called) and the macrotech 3600. All of these have been extremely reliable and i cannot recall one ever failing (the macrotechs are simply awesome).

No exp. with the XLS series but if they have the crown name on them, they will be reliable.

I have head good things about QSC amps but never got to try them. Dont know anything about slew rate (what a good/bad one is or how to compare them).
              - KEVIN

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
              Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4

Comment

Okaley dokely!
                I'm really liking the look of the Mpro 15 x 2! The 2 Crown amps that appeal to me(at elast price wise) are the XLS series and the "QSC"??? series? are they actually crown?

price-wise they're more expensive than the XLS which may indicate better quality, but honestly i don't know.
                The XLS to me seems quiet appealing, so I may pounce on that and the JBL M Pro 15"x2.
                Marshall JVM 410C
                Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

QSC is a seperate company from Crown. Which QSC are you looking at?

Comment

Ditch the 15" and go for a couple of 8s or 10s....you'll thank yourself in the long run.

A pair of 8s has more surface area that one 15....so it moves more air. They're also faster/punchier.....so they kick harder and don't woof out trying to keep up with a fast beat like a large sub will.

Bass and sub bass technology has come a long way in the last 15 years. Using lots of smaller, faster speakers is the way to go. Big, slow 15s are way old school.....and they sound like it too.
                    Last edited by some_dude; 03-04-2006, 02:20 AM.
                    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

On closer inspection, the ~same power qsc (RMX 2450) is about €250 more than the Crown XLS 602II.

Hey Screamin', do you know of any 4x10 Subs that are used as part of a PA?
                      Anything not as wide as a 15" cab would look very odd as my tops have 15"-ers.

EDIT: and for that matter, do you kno of any cab loaded with 10's or 8's for a bass bin in a pa??
                      Last edited by y2stevo; 03-04-2006, 03:57 AM.
                      Marshall JVM 410C
                      Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

Hmmm....A quick browse and Bose was the only company I could find producing PA speakers with 10" subs. I guess you can ignore what I said....it holds true for home and car audio, but it looks like it's not common in PA systems yet. Odd......

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                          Ditch the 15" and go for a couple of 8s or 10s....you'll thank yourself in the long run.

A pair of 8s has more surface area that one 15....so it moves more air. They're also faster/punchier.....so they kick harder and don't woof out trying to keep up with a fast beat like a large sub will.

Bass and sub bass technology has come a long way in the last 15 years. Using lots of smaller, faster speakers is the way to go. Big, slow 15s are way old school.....and they sound like it too.
                          eh....not sure where you are getting the area thing. area = (pi/4)(diameter^2)
                          area(2 8"s) = 2(pi/4)(8^2) = 32pi = 100.531 in^2
                          area(1 15) = (pi/4)(15^2) = 176.715 in^2 (almost double that of 2 8s)

Also aren't most smaller woofers made with heavier cones/dust caps so that they can have a similar Fo frequency (around 30 Hz) as larger woofers? A lighter cone would also equal a faster response?

If you have 12's or 15's on your other p.a. speakers, the speed of the bass response shouldn't be a problem. (i've got cerwin vega 15's crossed over at 80 hz with folded horn 18's for the lows and they hit both hard and fast)
                          - KEVIN

Comment

Okaly Doekaly,

The JBL Dual 15" is looking good in that case, Defintly enough power there for a large bar i'd imagine?

KS: yes I have 15" s in the Tops

Well thanks alot guys for your input!!
                            Marshall JVM 410C
                            Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

Originally posted by ksmith63
                              eh....not sure where you are getting the area thing. area = (pi/4)(diameter^2)
                              area(2 8"s) = 2(pi/4)(8^2) = 32pi = 100.531 in^2
                              area(1 15) = (pi/4)(15^2) = 176.715 in^2 (almost double that of 2 8s)
                              My mistake....I mixed 8s up with 10s there.

Also aren't most smaller woofers made with heavier cones/dust caps so that they can have a similar Fo frequency (around 30 Hz) as larger woofers? A lighter cone would also equal a faster response?
                              They do more than that; it has more to do with the driver than the cones.....and no, smaller subs don't go quite as deep as larger subs.....but at those frequencies we're talking rumble and not thump.

If you have 12's or 15's on your other p.a. speakers, the speed of the bass response shouldn't be a problem. (i've got cerwin vega 15's crossed over at 80 hz with folded horn 18's for the lows and they hit both hard and fast)
                              Fair enough. As already mentioned, I suppose I shouldn't be applying home/car audio theory to a PA system.

Comment

The QSC RMX 2450 is a fantasic amp. Definately a step up from the Crown.

Get the Crown now, and when you have more cash to upgrade, use the Crown with your tops and get a RMX 2450 for the subs.

Comment

Working...
                                X