My New Laney LC15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Laney LC15

Just arrived the other day and I've noticed that when I turn it on the amp seems to buzz. I don't have p90's or single coils, so I thought that was a bit strange. Of course, I can't hear it while I'm playing, but it was odd to hear that right after I turned it on. Is this normal?

I'd also like to know if you fellowLaney players can recmomend some favorite settings for the amp. I'm looking for a fat, nasty Billy Gibbons crunch for hard rock/blues, and a clean glassy setting a la Hendrix.

Thanks
    --------------------------------
    Gibson '57 Historic Les Paul
    Traynor Blue YCV50
    Peavey Classic 20 (FOR SALE)

"Say hello to my lil' friend!!!!!!!!"

Re: My New Laney LC15

Mine doesn't buzz JM.

You may want try a different guitar cable and/or try plugging into a different wall plug for a different source of power.

Sounds like a grounding issue.
    Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
    Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

******.. mine was supposed to be here this week.. probably wont be till next friday...

probably tubes warming up & cable, since you dont have a standby switch. check the manual, there are a couple of settings for clean and rock-ish stuff.. but for the nasty & raunchy tone, you'll gona need something bigger than the stock speaker

Comment

Someone get Davey a Floyd.

JM, I don't put alot of importance into settings, as everyone has a different setup. I mostly play with the mid-band of the EQ depending on which guitar I am using. It isn't a high-gainer, more of a VC than a LC, but a speaker change, as Davey said, can get the amp to break up earlier. An Eminence Ramrod makes its home in my LC15.
        Last edited by wixedmords; 03-03-2006, 08:58 AM.

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Funny, I have an Eminence Ramrod in my Valvetronix amp and was thinking of swapping it into the Laney. You digging that combination?
          --------------------------------
          Gibson '57 Historic Les Paul
          Traynor Blue YCV50
          Peavey Classic 20 (FOR SALE)

"Say hello to my lil' friend!!!!!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by jonnymangia
            Funny, I have an Eminence Ramrod in my Valvetronix amp and was thinking of swapping it into the Laney. You digging that combination?
            Yes, It will add some growl to it. The Ramrod will allow it to break up easier, and has a strong bass, while not robbing the top end. I was not a 10" speaker fan until I heard this one. I am pretty darn happy with that speaker in that amp.

It gives it a bit of a Plexi feel. Not too much gain, but a real quality gain.

I would figure out your hum first. Don't do any mods until you have figured out the issues, IMO.

EDIT: I should qualify that "best" I guess. It is something I would strongly suggest with Marshally tones pushed through a 10" speaker.

I may add the speaker adds a warmth to the top end but doesn't kill it.
            Last edited by wixedmords; 03-03-2006, 10:29 AM.

Comment

upon reading countless reviews and hearing people talk about their, i cant wait to get my hands on the little bugger

Comment

Working...
              X