Knobs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knobs???

Attention Forum Police: if this is in the wrong room, please forgive me!

Anyways, what kind of knobs do you folks like? Do you choose them based on looks, functionality, or otherwise? I myself prefer barrel-types that are easy to grab, and pull; I don't care for chickenhead-types because of this reason.

(This all sounds very wrong after reading what I've just said...knobs that are easy to grab and pull... )

Re: Knobs???

I like chickenhead knobs.. They look really cool on most amps.

BC Rich Mockingbird (Gibson Iommi/stock PUP)
    Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
    Marshall JCM900 50W Hi Gain Master Volume MKlll
    Laney GH100TI Tony Iommi signature amp
    Framus FR212 CB cabinet
    Marshall MG10CD (pretty crappy :laugh2: )
    Line6 Toneport UX2
    Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

Are we talking about on amps or on guitars?

On the amps, I generally don't like the chickenhead knobs. I have one Seymour Duncan amp that has chickenheads on it because the original knobs disintegrated after cleaning the pots.

On guitars I prefer 50s style tophats to the reflector knobs or speedknobs or witchhats. They seem easier to control, and the reflectors rims can get chipped. On my Tele I have standard knurled knobs. I saw a dude who made knobs out of pistons. Those looked cool.
      *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
      Originally posted by Slash2987
      Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
      Originally posted by PVFan
      I'm a good sex man.
      Originally posted by Grumpy
      I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

My Les Pauls have Speedknobs and my Strats have 'standard' top hat style knobs.

I'm contemplating changing the volume knob on my Fender Strat as I find it difficult to use on the push/pull control. Maybe to a chrome Tele style knob

Comment

For amps:

I like numbered "witch hat" style knobs, because you can glance at the 12 o'clock pointer postion across the front panel...and you know where the knobs are pointed! I do not like the numbers printed on the front panel, as one needs to look around the circumfrence of the knobs to look for the the "dot"...and then compare it to the numbers around the knob. It takes longer. What is worse, some of these companies are starting to put on silver knobs so you can't even see the "dot".

Chickenheads are good for the rear of an amp, so you can feel the postion of the control by feel.
          Last edited by Sludgenutz; 03-05-2006, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X