Kudos to Crate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kudos to Crate?

Just have to say, the fender twin is officially gone and I have been playin my crate alot and I have to say I am in love with it. The overdrive channel is killer with the guitars volume rolled back. I guess its just because I never really played a SS amp like I would a Tube amp. My GFX is rockin when it comes to bluesy tones.

Man I never thought I would say that, but I think my amp hunt has been temporarly stopped. Although, I am still a true tube whore at heart.
    Fender and Squier Guitars, Crate Amps and Seymour Duncan Pickups.

Re: Kudos to Crate?

Yep, Crate does make some good stuff here and there, regardless of the opinions of many players. I think my half cracked (and hotrodded) V32 Palomino can stand head to head with A LOT of stuff even 4 x it's cost. The bang for the buck is unbeatable IMHO.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Good to see you're happy with what you're currently playing through. It's good to catch a breather between gear scouring, huh?

If you're gonna go solid state--go Crate. They are the orignators of tube emulation in an amplifier, among other first's--over 25 years of experience.

I haven't been playing for over a decade only to play crap. So--kudos to Crate.

Comment

i just tried out a crate vtx200S at a store today and i couldn't believe the sounds that were comin out of it... nice tube-like dynamics and breakup... nice fat full tones.
        i really tried hard not to like it coz the salesman was really "sellin" it to me. but for some reason i couldn't get it to sound bad.
        i had to double check if it had tubes in it, and i also double checked the logo to make sure it was really a crate.
        so kudos to crate for this amp too.

Comment

They've got some good stuff out right now. The V-Series amps are really nice. I especially like the V3112 with a Tone Tubby speaker. Incredible tone clean and overdriven.

I still have my little GX-15 practice amp from the 90's. Never had any problems with it and it sounds great. Lots of folks have been floored at the big sound such a little amp can produce.

Too bad the Blue Doodoo I had was a POS. I hope they make them better than when they first came out.

Comment

I had that exact same amp for a couple years.

Quite a good little amp. I especially like some of the on-board effects.

I must say I like my marshall much more but if it works for you this is great!

Comment

yeah those GFX/GTX 212 are great amps!

i almost bought one but i wouldnt forgive myself again if i didnt buy a great tube amp so i had to go for my VHT 50.

They are real good amps though. like i said before i think that they do Marshall better than Marshall. tons of gain too if you want. real smooth gain too not buzzy like most SS.
              People just get turned off by the Crate name, but they kick.
              Ibanez Roadstar II
              EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
              VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

Oh, God I hate to say this out loud -

I LOVE THE POWER BLOCK - esp thru v30s. My friend's are quite impressed.
                I must say the V series (that's the class A tube one, no?) sounds quite good as does the Blue Voodoo (you can get a whole stack for $400 used).

SHHHHHHH keep this post secret. I can't let this get out.
                1973 Les Paul Standard
                1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Originally posted by OlinMusic
                  Oh, God I hate to say this out loud -

I LOVE THE POWER BLOCK - esp thru v30s. My friend's are quite impressed.
                  I must say the V series (that's the class A tube one, no?) sounds quite good as does the Blue Voodoo (you can get a whole stack for $400 used).

SHHHHHHH keep this post secret. I can't let this get out.

Those are Single channel with Volume and Gain, right? Are they total club volume or will they work for home use as well?

Comment

I have a GX15 somewhere, I am going to have to find it. I am happy some others have enjoyed crates. Usually you bring up crate around guitarists it turns into a flame war. The fender twin was nice but not really my style. Too loud and didnt break up at all. I am looking for Fender Bassman/JTM45 for my next venture but the crate will get me buy for a lil while.
                    Fender and Squier Guitars, Crate Amps and Seymour Duncan Pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by gOgIver
                      Those are Single channel with Volume and Gain, right? Are they total club volume or will they work for home use as well?
                      Yes, and it sounds terrific by itself and takes pedals well. Will get very loud but sounds good at low volume too. I rarely buy anything new anymore, but after I played this for a few minutes in the store, I had to have it. I can't think of a better backup amp and I wouldn't be afraid of gigging it at all. It has about marshall 800 amount of gain. Really cool toy.

Comment

Working...
                      X