Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marshall 18 watter and clones

Originally posted by JumpMarine
    What do you have up in Spokane that's worth looking at gearwise? I'm about 3.5 hrs away.

Basically the shops worth going to are, Marks guitar shop (a couple of guys from rock city started it) It probably has the coolest gear. there is Hoffmans, and their associated used gear outlet "Music Connection". Decent shops, but Hoffmans is pricey. Guitar Center is here, but it doesn't seem to carry as much high end amp gear as say the G.C. in Seattle. Then there is Dutch's. It is a used gear shop with a couple of decent repair guys in the back. then there is a music replay, they have a few pieces there once in a while that are decent, but the volume is low, so they don't get the traffic. There is an older guy in Post Falls who was THE gear trader back in the day. He has a little shop he runs out of his house, with a lot of VINTAGE stuff. Mostly acoustic, and archtop kind of stuff. A few old amps too. Cool place. Coeure deAlene is getting a few decent shops. Also. Hey if you have the time, go to Ellensburg and check out Boogie Man Music. He had the marshal 18 and 20 watt hand wired amps before anyone had them in seattle. He is one of my favorite shops ever. I loved to zip over there when I was living in Wenatchee. I think I may try to go there later this week to have a looksee. Oh, and lastly there are the two really good amp guys here, along with two really good guitar people locally if you ever need repairs, an such.

E-mail me, if you ever get in the area, and I will show you around to those places.
    Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
    gibson, marshall, fender, magnatone, THD amps
    SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
      I haven't played one in a band setting, since I'm fairly new to the idea of a dual EL-84 Marshall 18W clone. I think the best results would be to get the amp cranked, then rely on the guitar's volume for clean playing. Also, single coils or split humbuckers can always sound pretty clean, even on a cranked amp.

I really don't view 18W clones as being the best for heavy humbucker tones, since the bottom end can blat out too much. I think that's how to measure the quality of these amps....the ones with the tightest bottom end, which resembles EL-34s, are the ones that are the best.
      Matchless figured it out, that blat issue/humbucker thing. Thought it was worth mentioning.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by JumpMarine
        LOL! Plug away, I'm looking for all ideas Scott....
        Matchless Lightning/Celtic Franklin....

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
        X