banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does ohms matter in 1x12 extension cabinets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does ohms matter in 1x12 extension cabinets?

Can you buy a 1x12 extension cabinet with an 8 ohm speaker and swap it with a 16 ohm speaker safely?

Re: Does ohms matter in 1x12 extension cabinets?

as long as the speaker output of your amp can properly match it, then yes.

what amp is it?
    gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
    '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
    mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
    marshall 1960A 4x12
    and a few pedals

Comment

I know my amp can match it. I thought maybe you needed a different type of wire for a 8 ohm cabinet as opposed to a 16 ohm cabinet, even though it's one speaker. I've never heard of anyone buying a 1x12 8 ohm cabinet and switching the speaker to 16 ohms.

Comment

The speaker's impedance (what is measured in ohms) is basically just electrial resistance. Essentally the lower the rating the more current the speaker will draw, causing the amp to run hotter. If your amp can match it you dont have to worry. Also if the amp runs at a lower impedance then the speakers you will be fine.
        - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
        Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
        Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
        I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake OvenŽ of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

Working...
        X