I think i need more cabs now....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think i need more cabs now....

my new amp came today...Mesa 3ch Dual Recto. i got very familiar with using them in the studio and the sounds i would get from them that i thought it was time to buy one and i'm happy as can be with it!

my new pedal board is MIA from the pic since i'm waiting on one more pedal to get here to finish laying it out and wiring it. it matches, the recto well, that's all i'll say and you'll have to wait for those pics

anyway here is the new wall of DOOM minus the pedal board

now i think need another 2 cabs.

-Mike
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Re: I think i need more cabs now....

Wow, your neighbors must hate you!

Comment

I'd platonically love him if he was my neighbor.

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Comment

I'm curious about how the Mesa compares to the ENGL on all their channels?
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Gimme the Marshall half-stack and I'm happy as a pig in the mud.

What's in the coffin next to the Marshall?

Comment

thankfully my gear is in the basement and the neighbors are cool and party way too much to care LOL.

GJ...i'll have to A/B them back to back through the splawn in a few days. i've had fluid in my right ear for weeks now and tomorrow i think my Doctor may have to puncture my eardrum to get it out. i'm freaking out a bit about having that done. i'm also going nuts not being able to hear 100% out of my right ear. it makes getting the guitar tones i want a bit tricky since everything sounds a tad bit muffled.

however being that i have played both before in different settings through different cabs i can say this...i think i'm a bit bias towards the recto since it's a bit fatter and less compressed with less of a midrange push. the PB is a killer don't get me wrong and pretty versitile, however i actually think the mesa does mid/mild gain better than the PB. although i am more of a high gain player. both amps shine for high gain but the PB is more edgy/agressive with less of that big bottom which i like from a recto. the PB always feels a bit tight to me, not bad just sometimes you need that big chug from the bottom end and it can't do it the way the recto does. i think for a death metal player or speed metal or even 7 string metal the PB would be better due to the very tight bottom. however with my odd mix style of playing i rather have that kick in the chest ground shake from the recto. also through the splawn cab VS a normal recto cab that i use in the studio i instantly realized the recto is tighter with less of the sloppy bottom some people complain about when they use too much bass. this is a good thing with the splawn. the bottom is still HUGE yet never flubby or anything like that. through a mesa cab if i have the bass on lets say 6, through my splawn i can go to 8 or perhaps more without hitting an area of flab from the bass.

once my ear is better i can give a better review through the same cab with the same guitar in the same room. but for now that's a muffled right ear a/b from present and past use of both amps.

-Mike
            www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
              Gimme the Marshall half-stack and I'm happy as a pig in the mud.

What's in the coffin next to the Marshall?

oh you mean my dust collector LOL. i can't sell the marshall, it was handed down by my brother and i think he would be pissed if i got rid of it. now having it voodoo modded hmmmm wonder if he would notice LOL. in the coffin is my schecter XXX. it was my main rehersal guitar for a LONG time so i always used that case when going to and from the studio so it would be safe. now it just kinda hangs out in the case since i've become a super strat junky LOL. i did have it out the other day though.

-Mike
              www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE
                oh you mean my dust collector LOL. i can't sell the marshall, it was handed down by my brother and i think he would be pissed if i got rid of it. now having it voodoo modded hmmmm wonder if he would notice LOL. in the coffin is my schecter XXX. it was my main rehersal guitar for a LONG time so i always used that case when going to and from the studio so it would be safe. now it just kinda hangs out in the case since i've become a super strat junky LOL. i did have it out the other day though.

-Mike
                I see the row of strat cases on the other side of the pic. Even though I haven't started my Tele yet (other homeowner expenses crept up on us), I'm spec'ing out a Jake E. Lee copy...hehehe. I have specs for like 4 or 5 guitars now.

I'd be pissed if you got rid of the Marshall too. Everyone needs at least one. Looks like a 2203/2204. I wouldn't mod. Not many stock ones left anymore. Everybody mods 'em. Leave it as-is.

Comment

i've had fluid in my right ear for weeks now and tomorrow i think my Doctor may have to puncture my eardrum to get it out. i'm freaking out a bit about having that done. i'm also going nuts not being able to hear 100% out of my right ear. it makes getting the guitar tones i want a bit tricky since everything sounds a tad bit muffled.
                  No wonder you prefer the friggin rectumfrier over the Marshall...you can't hear for $hit!!!!

J/K Bro. Hope everything works out.
                  Last edited by JeffB; 03-07-2006, 03:37 PM.
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB
                    No wonder you prefer the friggin rectumfrier over the Marshall...you can't hear for $hit!!!!

J/K Bro. Hope everything works out.
                    BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice one, Jeff.

Comment

Erik: the strat cases are a few clones and my iron maiden strat...the wayne and 2 real charvels stay in my bedroom along with a few other guitars. guitars are everywhere lol. under the coffee table, behind the couch, under my bad etc etc. A jake copy would be great! i always liked them. as for the Marshall it's a 1979 JMP 50w. part of me says NO mods, keep it stock. then the other part says...they don't pull crazy money yet and i can't/won't sell it anyway so why not mod it so i actually use it. still tossing and turning on the idea.

Jeff: LOL i hear 100% out of my left and 50%+ out of the right so it's not that bad. kinda odd though since my own voice echos in my head when i talk. even with perfect hearing or slightly off hearing i know i'd take a dual recto over any marshall ever made LOL. i'm just not a marshall fan, never was. i tend to lean to 6l6 high gain amps (not in all cases but most) for the bigger warmer bottom and less mid focus.
                      thanks for the kind words though, i'm a bit worried about this crap with my ear but hopefully it won't be that big a deal.

-Mike
                      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

i'm just not a marshall fan, never was. i tend to lean to 6l6 high gain amps
                        It's OK..you're still young..you'll grow out of that

thanks for the kind words though, i'm a bit worried about this crap with my ear but hopefully it won't be that big a deal.
                        Keep me in the loop Bro!
                        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Ohhhhhh, a JMP 2204....Hmmmm, nice. The 2203/2204 models were JMP's then JCM's when the designation changed in the early 80's. Those WILL go up in price soon. Just wait. With the high gain monsters you have already, no need to mod it. Ya never know when you need that classic metal tone.

You're ear will be fine. I had ear issues as a kid (tubes and everything) so I know what it's like. No biggie. A little uncomfortable but nothing to worry about.

Comment

You definitely need another 4x12'', I'd go for something like a Bogner, ENGL or Diezel.
                            Originally posted by kevlar3000
                            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                            Originally posted by Zerberus
                            Better is often the enemy of good
                            Originally posted by ginormous
                            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Jeff: why would i grow out of good tone? HAHAHAHAHA

Erik: yup, it's a 2204 right before the JCM change. so...1/2 the balls LOL. it does clean well and gets enough push for some zz top-ish style gritty rock/blues perhaps but not enough for any maiden or anything or i'd be happy with it. it's also real thin sounding. not just compaired to a recto, compaired to anything lol. sure if i DIME the knobs it starts to get useful for me, but i can't do that.

as for my ear, well good to hear it's not that big a deal. as far as my Doc said last time i saw him i wouldn't even need tubes. he said he will just make a pin hole, drain it right there and that's it and it will close in a few days. i hope it's that simple.

-Mike
                              www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Working...
                              X