Fender Super-Sonic tried one out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Super-Sonic tried one out

Tried out a fender supersonic today. For around 900 bucks, these amps are hot. they did a few things that many amp makers should be doing. All of the faceplate buttons are footswitchable. To start with, the clean channel(s) are great. A vibrolux circuit, and a bassman circuit. The vibrolux has the nice shimmering fender clean sound that many seek fenders out for. the bassman sounds well..... like a bassman. Not much more to say about that. Within the clean channel side one can footswitch between these two settings. That in itself makes me give it great reviews. Whenever i have played a boogie rectifier, or the bogner exctasy, I was wishing I could footswitch the old/modern switch, or the plexi mode on the bogner. The hughes and kettner triamp would be another amp that would benefit from an increased ability to footswitch all of the various buttons on the front of the amp. The "Burn" channel sounds great. Anything from classic rock to modern metal. I really liked the way the bottom end sounded. Not at all farty. I went through many of the sample settings, and there wasn't a dud in the bunch. I could easily recreat zep, nugent, alice in chains, and a variety of modern metal sounds. Now the kicker. The Effects loop. the guy at the shop had a cable to jump across the loop, and used the send level, and return level to make it function like a boost. So when you hit the effects loop switch on the footswitch it boosted the channel. It worked for the clean and overdrive channels. I really liked that effect/feature. Also the volumes on the clean and drive channel were independant, so theoretically one could use the drive channel for rhythm, and use a ts-9 style boost on the clean channels at a higher volume for a searing lead tyoe thing. I really liked that effect/feature. One could have used a line 6 delay in the loop and had a boosted delayed lead. I immediatly saw the possibilities of more than just a 2 channel amp.

Some things I would have like changed, were that there is no reverb on the head version, only on the combo. I would also like tremalo/vibrato on this amp also. Oh, and a 1/2 power switch, or a class a/ab like the prosonic.

For the price of this amp i would give it a 7.5/8 out of 10. I played a marshall tsl right next to it, and in my opinion it was the better of the two, for what I like.
    Last edited by 54stratlover; 03-07-2006, 09:39 PM.
    Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
    gibson, marshall, fender, magnatone, THD amps
    SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Re: Fender Super-Sonic tried one out

I also should say, that this amp is in no way a bogner, or diezel, in terms of pure dimensionality of tone, but I believe it more than carries its weight at the price it sells for.
    Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
    SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Comment

Great review!
      '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Is the Bassman channel like a tweed, or is it more blackface?

Also, how much headroom does this beastie have?
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
          Is the Bassman channel like a tweed, or is it more blackface?

Also, how much headroom does this beastie have?
          The bassman channel is more like a tweed. As far as headroom goes, I would say the vibrolux circuit has the most. The bassman side tended to want to get a bit gritty, you know a little more bluesy. i could see using the vibrolux side for country, jazz, or just pure clean tone. NOW. I did not crank the amp up super high. Also the Dirty channel could be set to a clean tone. the cascading gain thing is rather interesting in terms of which side of the gain one turns up more. I remember that I did have it set to a cleaner setting, by turning up the master, and fiddling with the two different gain settings.

Comment

I'm curious about that amp, but haven't tried it. I had a Fender Pro Tube Concert Reverb for awhile, so I know how Fender is progressing when it comes to gain and features. They're finally getting the grasp of gain with a tight bottom end, because up until now it's been grainy and loose......just the nature of classic Fenders. The Concert Reverb was a very versatile amp, and I liked the FX loop boost feature. It essentially turned it into a 4 channel amp.

If there was anything I could change on my Bogner XTC, it'd be an added button on the footswitch to turn the blue channel's plexi mode on/off. The only reason they don't is probably because the cable can't handle more information. It'd be a cool mod though.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

thanks for the review. i've been dying to try one of them.

-Mike
              www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

sounds very interesting!?
                Originally posted by jeremy
                God hates bad guitar tone
                GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Did you try the head or the 1X12 version? It definately sounds interesting . . .
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I really want to try one. Hopefully it will change my mind on Fender channel switchers. I haven't found one that I like yet. Good overview!! Thanks.
                    Last edited by B Bent; 03-08-2006, 06:53 AM.
                    I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv
                      Did you try the head or the 1X12 version? It definately sounds interesting . . .
                      I tried the head. Through a marshall 1960B 4x12. The fender cab hadn't come in yet. The combo has reverb, were the head does not.

Comment

I'd love to have this setup!
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                          that is the color of the head I tried. The new black with the salt and pepper grill cloth isn't to bad either

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                            yeah that would look nice next to my Blues Jr.!!! oooohh yaaaa!
                            Originally posted by jeremy
                            God hates bad guitar tone
                            GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                            AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                            EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                            Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Sounds like a good one to check out! Reasonable price too.
                              Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
                              Ibanez RG1570 Custom
                              PRS McCarty STD
                              '71 Gibson SG Custom
                              Bogner Alchemist 2x12
                              Vox AD15VT

Comment

Working...
                              X