Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tubes dying.. how do you know?

Just a general (stupid?) question.

How do you know when your tubes need to be replaced?

I was playing thru my Blues Jr. the other day at band practice an it just sounded.. odd... Low end just seemed mushy and mids were wimpy. I'm thinking the tubes might be going... they've been in there for at least a couple years.
    The Band:
    www.myspace.com/hawkandroll

Re: Tubes dying.. how do you know?

If your power tubes are a couple of years old- and you use your amp regularly, yes you should replace them. Pre amp tubes usually last several years- but it wouldn't be a bad idea to replace them all- for reliability if nothing else.
    " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

I've had people tell me that tubes sound better with age . . . and I've also had people tell me that you should change them every few months . . . I figure if they sound funny to you, they're probably ready to go
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Power tubes I assume? Yes, when they lose their punch and you start having to crank up the volume to get it where it used to be and even that still isn't enough, it's definitely time for new power tubes.

But don't just grab some new ones and pop them in. They have to be a matched pair (or quartet, depending on how many power tubes your amp uses). The amp needs to be rebiased and if you don't know how to do that, you need to take it to the shop.
        Generic signature line.

Comment

When my power tubes start to go the bass sounds mushy and undefined, it looses all it's top end harmonics, and it's treble and midrange go south (huge volume loss).
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

yeah, all of the above...it's usually fairly obvious when tubes start going out...low end all but disappears or turns to complete mush...also clean headroom goes out the window and you start distorting at really low volumes, and we're not talking pleasant distortion..we're talking nasty, messy, unusable distortion. If it's sounding funny to you, tubes are the prime candidate
            Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
            It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

hmmm...that's funny the lows in my Jr yesterday started becoming pretty flubby and there's starting to be a bit of volume loss...there has to be something wrong because i had a great clean sound dialed in the other day and now that sound is just flubby...especially when i play the top two strings.

if i put the exact same brand of tubes in there would i need to rebias it?
              Originally posted by jeremy
              God hates bad guitar tone
              GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
              AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
              EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
              Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

I´m with Zhang and Daisy... flabby and undefined, but also "dull" tones are the first sign of powertube failure.
                Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Using the same brand of tube doesn't mean that they are the same RATING- to keep from a rebias, the replacement tubes must be of the the same value rating wise- example- Groove tubes #5, or in the case of Mesa- the color.
                  " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Working...
                  X