banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favourite available compressor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favourite available compressor?

New version of my last question - I am now convinced to try one out. Thus far, I've been looking at some cheap Boss CS-2s on ebay, or the more pricey, but presumably better, AnalogMan compROSSor. The Bicomp sounds even cooler, but I can't wait three months, I need something in the next few weeks.

So I guess my question is, has anyone tried out the comprossor, is it appreciably better than the dynacomp reissues that are out, and what else should I consider before deciding?

ETA: I've worked in studios and have a rudimentary one at home, so I do understand what compressors do and do not do. I actually own an Alesis 3630 and a DBX 1066 in my recording rack, so I understand quite intimately the heartbreak of a bad compressor and the worthiness of a good one. Therefore, spending the $200+ on the analog man stuff does not seem at all excessive to me, just potentially unnecessary. Lemme know.
    Last edited by RevJToad; 03-08-2006, 12:27 PM.

Re: What's your favourite available compressor?

See if you can find a Marshall ED-1 Edward the compressor . . . I've had no problems with mine, it sounds pretty good actually. For guitar, I can't hear much of a difference between that and the more expensive ones.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I'm not a fan of most guitar Comp's....... but i was really impressed with the Diamond Comperssor pedal...... Diamond pedals are great

Comment

*shrugs*.....I love my dyna comp...I got rid of the one I had a while back and just recently picked one back up and it's got me thinking..."what was I thinking?!?!" when I got rid of my other one
        Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
        It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret
          *shrugs*.....I love my dyna comp...I got rid of the one I had a while back and just recently picked one back up and it's got me thinking..."what was I thinking?!?!" when I got rid of my other one
          I found a 70's Dyna-Comp at a pawn shop for $20.....

Comment

Sweet...

Comment

The best compressor I ever played through was the Keeley Compressor. It is absolutely amazing. Blows the Boss unit out of the water.

Comment

I use, and really love, the HBE Compressor Retro. (CPR)
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Most players really do not want a compressor that works like they made too
                  Alot digs that boing or squishy thing, I like mine as my sound is
                  Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 03-08-2006, 11:44 PM.

Comment

I use a Boss compressor, and I think it is fine. Some think they are noisy, but I use very little compression.

My rule of thumb is that, if I can hear it working, it is too much.

Bill
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                    X