Marshall JCM 800 4210

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM 800 4210

What do you guys think of this amp? I'm looking for a classic heavy metal distortion like Maiden and those boys

Also, what dist pedal do you think works well with it? I thought about a boss DS-1 or SD-1.
    The cake is a lie!

www.myspace.com/eternalexilesthlm

Re: Marshall JCM 800 4210

Get a sd-1 with it and you are set
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

I have that exact amp.

Very nice IMO. I can't really compare it to maiden and such because I'm really not a fan of that type of music...

The clean channel is ok and the OD is very very nice... Some folks like it, other don't. It's thick and very crunchy, It just fits me well. I use both sd-1 and ds-1 with this amp (they were both modded by John spina tho [aka stradeluxer here on the forum] ). The sd-1 is very nice as a boost, very nice overdriven tone. I use the DS-1 over the OD channel too when I need the tone to get more brutal (and believe me it does)...

Try it first if you can but I think you should be fine with it! Have fun

Comment

The 4210 is the 1x12 combo version of the famed 2205 head. The 2205 is a great head...not modern high gain by any means but with a boost of somekind you'd have a pretty versitile set up that could be moved with one trip! As for the 2 pedals you mentioned I'd go with the SD-1 since it has less gain and IMO works better as a boost into an already crunchy amp than a DS-1 would.
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Had one...nice amp..

Make sure ya put El34s in it and rebias it, if it came with 6550s.

I ran a TS/DS/Rat/SOD/Boss HM/Ibanez Distortion Charger/ MXR D+ pedal into it at various times. All worked pretty well.

DS-1 worked for Gary Moore and his Marshalls...makes a great boost...not so good a s standalone.

TS9 is nice and smooth, but the mid honk bugs some people and you'll cut off some low end.

RAT was prolly my least fave. A little too thin and grainy sounding for me, but others love them.

SOD is prolly the best all around. A little fatter/thicker than a TS, but also smooth.

HM pedal worked very well too...sounds HUGE...but buzzy.

Distortion Charger I actually ran on the clean channel for late night practice. Very cool pedal..I'd like to find another someday. Sounds like a little Marshall stack

MXR is a strange beast. People love it or hate it. It's fuzzy, and grainy. But thats what Dave and Adrian used 99% of the time (Adrian also used a TS). Worked well for them.

However the gain channel on that amp has more than enough crunch for classic maiden chordwork if you've got any volume on the thing. Any of those peds would make a nice goose for lead work.
          Last edited by JeffB; 03-09-2006, 08:26 AM.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I have the 4211, which is the 100 watt 2x12 version. Killer amp once it's re-tubed and re-biased. I stick a TS-9 in front of it as a booster and it kills.

Comment

Thanks guys going to try it next week probably
              The cake is a lie!

Comment

teh bump
                The cake is a lie!

Comment