Pros and cons about the Peavey Classic 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and cons about the Peavey Classic 30

Lately, I've been hearing some bad things about the Peavey Classic 30, the amp I was planning on getting. Not being able to get good tones at bedroom volumes, lack of bottom end, and overall bad tone. What are your opinions on these amps? Can you get a good tone at bedroom volume, and do they have a Marshall/Vox tone to them? Suggestions for other amps like it would be helpful too. Thanks!

-Corbic
    The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
    And Here on Bandcamp!
    Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Re: Pros and cons about the Peavey Classic 30

I love those amps stock. The only things I would change are the non-footswitchable boost and shared EQ. The speaker and tubes can be changed to better suit your needs. With a Tube Guard and Tom's Tube Tamer the things are pretty solid all around too. I'd love to try the new head version but I haven't found anyone that carries it.

Comment

Another series you might consider is the crate palomino series, those have a pretty good tone. The only bad thing is they are only sold exclusively at guitar center.
      Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
      Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
      Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
      Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
      Fender Frontman 15g
      Cry Baby
      Boss DS-2
      Boss CE-3
      Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

How are the Classic 30s in comparison to the Delta Blueses?

Comment

Hands Down the WORST amp I've owned ! Harsh brittle distortion.The clean channel was O.K. but gave up it's headroom way to easy,And not a pleasant sounding breakup. Unable to cut though in a band situation at 30 watts? WTF! My 12 watt Princeton cuts though . Overall my Peavey Backstage plus was a much better amp. Seriously.
          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Just sold a tweed Classic 30 and picked up a Fender Pro Junior. Best gear decision I've made to date. I was jamming earlier w/ this little guy dimed....best amp tones I have experienced personally. The Classic 30's overdrive had very harsh mids and I did not like it. I've also determined that I much prefer 10" speakers to 12" speakers, which added to my decision. You can get a decent clean tone on the Classic 30 at TV volumes, but not much more.

Edit: WhoFan reminded me. Mine had terrible tube rattle. No matter what volume, certain notes would just set it off buzzing like mad.
            Last edited by Twitch; 03-09-2006, 12:56 AM.
            :banana: :banana: :dance: :banana: :banana:

Comment

I like my C30.... it does it's job well... but i do wish it had more bottom end.... but then again i wish all my amps besides my 5150 had a bigger bottom end tone..... The C30 i bought was a steal..... i got a used tweed C30 combo and a matching 1x12 tweed ext cab..... It is a very cool little set up and only cost me $500 Canadian..... I don't think i would of bought a new one as i like the Traynor amps in the same price range better.... But for the deal of a price i got it has been great! I mostly use mine clean with a large pedalboard... I do use the OD channel but i find it needs some volume to really come alive.... Saddly my C30 has a rattle inside it somewhere and i have never found it... Peavey is telling me it's time to change my tubes first and then try other things if that does not work...

Townshend uses Fender Vibro king combos with extention cabs these days on stage... tweed covered amps.... i could never afford such gear! only dream about such nice toys... Anyways on a budget the C30 and Ext cab kind of have almost that same look, only smaller....

In the end the C30 is a good little amp..... it is loud as hell..... i'm not a huge fan of it at bedroom levels myself.... but it is a nice tool.... but if i was buying a new C30 tomorrow i'd have to rethink and most likely buy a Traynor instead....

Comment

So overall the Crate Palomino 30 watt is considered a much better amp? It being at Guitar Center is no problem, it's the only good guitar store around for miles, and it's already a half an hour trip. I was also looking at the 15 watt Traynor combo, however I'm not sure that would be loud enough to cut in my fledgling band with a loud drummer, rhythm guitarist with 10 watt solid state practice amp, and bassist with 20 watt amp (We'll all be upgrading amps soon). If 15 watts will be enough, I'll definetly look into that or a Blues Jr. Or the Pro Junior Twitch mentioned. If not, it looks like the Crate might be the way to go, since I have no Classic 30s around to actually try.
                The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
                And Here on Bandcamp!
                Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

Hey Corbic, you can hear my C30 at www.getblind.com. Check out the audio demo (not the video). It's just a LP through a Classic 30, and don't listen to the actual playing too much!! I did put an Eminence Red White & Blues speaker in it though and thats' what's recommended most to sound better. If you want to remain stock, the Crate may be a better way to go. But, I really like my 30 and have gigged it a few times. My other head is a Budda and actually the 30 holds up against it pretty well. Those new Crate's are really nice too. For a bit more $$, the Traynor 50 Blue is terrific.

Comment

Hm..I´ve planned to check the classic out with a MI Audio Tube Zone pedal in front of it...perhaps I should buy the pedal first and then check some amps out and see which amp sounds best with the pedal..
                    Last edited by StrangeSound; 03-10-2006, 08:29 AM.
                    Originally posted by Guitarist
                    Honestly, I like Scott's words. "There is a rhythm to life. Ride the waves."

And keep in mind that while nothing lasts forever, nothing is lost.
                    http://soundcloud.com/adrian-czarnecki/tracks

Comment

Originally posted by StrangeSound
                      Hm..I´ve planned to check the classic out with a MI Audio Tube Zone pedal in front of it...perhaps I should buy the pedal first and then check some amps out and see which amp sounds best with the pedal..
                      i mostly use my Classic 30 for running clean with pedals in front of the amp.... great powerful clean tone for sure.... the OD channel i like only at high volumes.... And oddly i like my C30 more with Gibson style guitars and not Fender's.... i guess the extra mid and bass from my Epi's and Gibson's help

Comment

I think they sound kinda dull and sterile, but get you into the poor man's EL84/Class A type tone for cheap. I have heard some wicked Jazz players using them, and I know at least one heavy weight metal guy who uses them. Otherwise, I would only use one if I got it for under $200
                        1973 Les Paul Standard
                        1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Originally posted by OlinMusic
                          I think they sound kinda dull and sterile, but get you into the poor man's EL84/Class A type tone for cheap. I have heard some wicked Jazz players using them, and I know at least one heavy weight metal guy who uses them. Otherwise, I would only use one if I got it for under $200
                          mine was dirt cheap! I also have a C50 as well as a C30that i got dirt cheap... The c50 cost me $250.... they do not get high bucks during resale! Here in Canada the 4x10 C50 combo in Tweed sales for over $1200.... i saw one used for $400 before xmas....

Comment

+1 on 4x10 c50.If the weight is not a problem,find one used instead.Great sounding,simple working,anything from country,jazz,blues,rock.With an extra drive pedal it can do anything.

Comment

I've always been a big fan of Peavey gear, but the Classic 30 is not one of my favorite amps.

I wound up with a good deal on a used Mesa DC3 that I got several years ago, and I have never regretted spending the extra dollars on the Mesa. It's far more versatile, and just sounds better.

But, for the money, the Classic 30 does get it done for a lot of people.

Bill
                              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X