Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do? - Vintage Pedal Question

Hey guys.

I have a vintage Maxon Phase Tone Phaser pedal that sounds great, but I don't really use it all that much as it's too 'subtle' for the sound I want. It also doesn't have an LED and because it's such a subtle effect, I sometimes have difficulty even telling if it's switched on or not!

My options are:

1) Sell the maxon and get something that's more 'tweakable' and able to get more of the sound I want.

2) Mod the maxon with an LED, maybe a new switch and tweak the circuit board controls to see if I can get more 'effect' out of the pedal.

What would you guys do in my position?

Re: What would you do? - Vintage Pedal Question

Sell it. Someone will get what they have been wanting and it will enable you to get what you want. No reason to muck up a perfectly good piece of vintage gear. You should be able to get a good price for it.
    Originally posted by tone4days
    we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Thanx for the reply

Selling it was my 1st thought, but I've put it on Ebay 3 times now and it's never sold! Hence the reason I considered modding it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brow
        Thanx for the reply

Selling it was my 1st thought, but I've put it on Ebay 3 times now and it's never sold! Hence the reason I considered modding it.
        Do you belong to The Gear Page? If you do, it would sell there and there is always the trading post here. You could also trade with someone for another pedal that would suit you better.
        Originally posted by tone4days
        we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Originally posted by bungalowbill
          Do you belong to The Gear Page? If you do, it would sell there and there is always the trading post here. You could also trade with someone for another pedal that would suit you better.
          No, I don't think I am a member of The gear Page to be honest (I'm joined to that much stuff I often forget!)

I may have posted it on The Trading Post in the past, I can't remember.

I agree though, it probably would be better for me to sell/trade the epdal for something else that does the job I want

Comment

You did post it in the trading post once before and before that you and I even PM'd back and forth about a value...what have you been trying to get out of it? Im surprised you haven't sold it!
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
              You did post it in the trading post once before and before that you and I even PM'd back and forth about a value...what have you been trying to get out of it? Im surprised you haven't sold it!
              I wasn't sure if I'd posted it on the Trading Post to be honest.

It's a great sounding pedal, but it's just too subtle sounding. I sometimes have trouble telling if its even switched on or not!

I'm looking for something thats more 'obvious' as an effect. Maybe a Phase90 would suit me better?

I gather that there's 2 trim pots inside my Maxon Phaser. But that still doesn't cure the lack of an LED problem!

Comment

These things are pulling in the $70-$85 range on ebay....I'm thinking with them going like that, you may be better off trying to trade it!
                Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret
                  These things are pulling in the $70-$85 range on ebay....I'm thinking with them going like that, you may be better off trying to trade it!
                  Thanx for the word of advice

I'll ask around and see if anyone's wanting 1 of these pedals.

Comment

Analog Man Guitar effects pedals, where WE DO PEDALS RIGHT! All the best vintage, boutique, and new pedals and modifications.

Try this guy. He buys and sells vintage pedals. Maybe he will trade you something for it.
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
                      http://www.analogman.com/

Try this guy. He buys and sells vintage pedals. Maybe he will trade you something for it.
                      Thanx for the info

I'll have a dig around there and see if he may be interested

Comment

Maybe get it modded so that u can switch back to the old sound aswell (if it has good tone y lose money where u might get another less subtle effect that sounds bad) that said u might not wont to wreck it so it is really up to u.
                        Gondola Kid
                        Bandcamp
                        Facebook
                        JimijaymesGuitarist
                        Youtube

Comment

I've been thinking about this alot and I think I'd be better of if I either sold/traded the Maxon and got something that did what I want. Sooner than mod this vintage pedal to do something I want it to do

Comment

Uh, me, I'd get it modded for an LED maybe. I don't know if I would part with it, if I were in your shoes. Maybe I'd get something less subtle for other styles.
                            My Music Page
                            Originally posted by vinterland
                            I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
                            Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

Originally posted by neosadist
                              Uh, me, I'd get it modded for an LED maybe. I don't know if I would part with it, if I were in your shoes. Maybe I'd get something less subtle for other styles.
                              Thanx for your post.

I'm currently considering 1 of those Build Your Own Clone Phasers as they have good reviews and enough control over the effect that I feel they would suit my style more than the Maxon I currently have.

Comment

Working...
                              X