Fane Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fane Speakers

This brand of speakers seems to be held in high regard at this forum *cough* guywhoinventedfire *cough* and I'm wondering which particular fanes are the 'best' ones. How does Fane compare to Celestion?

I'm eyeing this ebay auction purely because of the name but I have no idea what they're like:

I have a Laney AOR50 head going into a 1x12" open back cabinet equipped with a 90 watt Mesa Boogie Black Shadow celestion. I've heard that Laneys sound best with a Bristish sounding speaker setup. I feel like as if I'm missing the "sweet" mids with my current setup. Although replacing one speaker with another won't solve all of my tonal problems I'm interested in messing around with this stuff, especially when I get a quad box in the near future, it would be handy to have a number of speakers to experiment with at my disposal.

But meh, please feel free to tell my I might be wasting my time so I'll have a reason not to spend more money on gear when I only have several hundred dollars to my name atm.

Re: Fane Speakers

I do love my Fanes! I have owned several Fanes over the years but so far my favs are the ones that Fane made for HiWatt and im not sure if you could ever just by those outright or not. As for the tone of the Fanes they do have the classic Brittish midrange your talking about but as for the Fane vs Celestion issue tey are pretty diofferent sounding speakers. My Fanes are tighter and more solid in the bottom than a most Celestions but have a sweeter midragne than most Celestions as well and have NO icepick highs at all...they are also a bit cleaner sounding that most Celestions.

The one in the ebay auction you linked is not a speaker that I know anything about...it's a bit newer than the ones I have now. I had a pair of Fane speakers called Medusa's for a while and to be honest the speaker you're looking looks JUST like a Fane Medusa with a different sticker on it.

Based on what you are looking for I would try a Fane if I were you, you will get a Brittish sound for sure but it will be a bit different that a Celestion.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
      As for the tone of the Fanes they do have the classic Brittish midrange your talking about but as for the Fane vs Celestion issue tey are pretty diofferent sounding speakers. My Fanes are tighter and more solid in the bottom than a most Celestions but have a sweeter midragne than most Celestions as well and have NO icepick highs at all...they are also a bit cleaner sounding that most Celestions.
      Ha ha. You pretty much described exactly what I need improving with my sound. Tighter bass, sweeter mids, and relaxed highs.

The one in the ebay auction you linked is not a speaker that I know anything about...it's a bit newer than the ones I have now. I had a pair of Fane speakers called Medusa's for a while and to be honest the speaker you're looking looks JUST like a Fane Medusa with a different sticker on it.
      From the photo I thought that the speaker may have been older model given that it has a worn, slightly kicked around and retro look. I'm can't seem to find any info on the net about the classic 12/65 speaker model.

Based on what you are looking for I would try a Fane if I were you, you will get a Brittish sound for sure but it will be a bit different that a Celestion.
      According to Screamingdaisy in an old thread, the speaker I have now is basically a built up version of the Celestion Classic Lead 80 with a heavier build and a slightly tweeked voice. Not sure exactly where that puts me in the trans-atlantic tonal spectrum of things but I have a feeling Laney is after something that is dripping with brit-mid sweetness.

Comment

The Mesa 90 is a slightly hopped up Classic lead 80 which a good speaker but doesn't really have that Celestion sound to my ears...it has a slightly more netural tone that lets a little more of the amp come through. A good speaker but not one with a signature tone of it's own.

When I say that ebay Fane looks newer than mine keep in mind that mine are from 1972!

Anyway...grab a Fane and try it out, I think you'd really like it!
        If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Fanes are the seceret sound of Hiwatts..... I've heard a few guys i know say that without the Fanes in the cabs, their Hiwatts are nothing.... i've also heard the same guys say their Marshall heads sound better thru the Fanes too....

but there is different types of Fanes.....

WhoFan

Comment

Fanes in Hiwatt cabs, marvelous clarity and depth, Hiwatts do sound great with higher powered Celestions and Jensens as well
            It is hard to make a good vintage Hiwatt sound bad as it is...hehe

Comment

Originally posted by WhoFan
              Fanes are the seceret sound of Hiwatts..... I've heard a few guys i know say that without the Fanes in the cabs, their Hiwatts are nothing.... i've also heard the same guys say their Marshall heads sound better thru the Fanes too....

but there is different types of Fanes.....

WhoFan
              Do you know which kind of Fane speakers Townshend used in his Hiwatts circa Live at Leeds/Isle of Wight/Who's Next? The sound he gets is probably one of the greatest classic rock distortions I've ever heard.
              The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
              And Here on Bandcamp!
              Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

Fane made speakers for HiWatt. They were cast frame, ceramic magnet drivers rated at 50 watts each. My 4x12 is loaded with a matched set of 4 of them from 1972.

There are some pics of my 4x12 with a few pics of the speakers on my webshots page...

Look here

look at the album titled Sound City 1/2 stack and you'll see pics of my set of 1972 purple label Fanes

Comment

Working...
                X