Question For You Marshall Mod Guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question For You Marshall Mod Guys?

Regarding the 500 pf cap that goes across the 470k mixer resistors in a NMV Marshall(1959/1987)circuits.....

Do I Increase this cap across the 470k to get less brightness or raise that value? In other words.....250/330 pf or say 560/680 pf.....This is on my bright channel...I'd like to take a bit of the toppiness away and get a bit more range on this channel's treble pot...I don't have the .005 across the volume pot and went with just a 47 pf there...I just want to knock out a bit more of the highs and not have to have my treble pot on like 9 o clock or less...I don't want to remove the cap because I'll lose gain..

I have the stock tone stack and slope resistor values of .022/.022/500pf and the 33k and since the Normal channel is perfect,I want to solely hone in on the bright channel...

My bright channel has a .022 replacing the .0022 with the 500pf across the 470k....

Lew,Jeff Seal.Kevlar,Christian,Scott,etc(Anyone I've missed here sorry)....Please chime in...
    Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 03-10-2006, 09:29 AM.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: Question For You Marshall Mod Guys?

remember when Seymour said he'd sometimes use a 250k pot on a JB that was too bright (as opposed to the 500k)?

Go lower young man.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

For the 500pf/470k mix resistor arrangement, the RC time constant works out to this:

F= 1
      ------------------------------------ = 678 Hz
      6.28 * 00000000050 * 470,000

Meaning that every frequency below 678 rolls off. Change the capacitor value to find out what frequency you'll get by changing the cap.
      Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
      Marshall Mods

Comment

Originally posted by shredaholic
        For the 500pf/470k mix resistor arrangement, the RC time constant works out to this:

F= 1
        ------------------------------------ = 678 Hz
        6.28 * 00000000050 * 470,000

Meaning that every frequency below 678 rolls off. Change the capacitor value to find out what frequency you'll get by changing the cap.
        LOL.....Without all the math....Just was looking for higher or lower...LOL....Scott got it.... Your way is too techie for me buddy...Ha.Ha.....
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

:6:
          Richard

Marshall Mods

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
            remember when Seymour said he'd sometimes use a 250k pot on a JB that was too bright (as opposed to the 500k)?

Go lower young man.
            Well I needed to ask cause sometimes raising the cap value does the opposite,like in a tone control....We're almost talking about what a treble bleed cap does across a volume control...

Comment

I just had a non-coffee moment and realized that I was talking about variable resistors and not capacitors! duh! But go down anyway.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

or am I wrong... can't remember....

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

in all seriousness, I wired up a brigth switch with a 120pf cap and 47pf cap and the 120 was brighter.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

I just had a non-coffee moment and realized that I was talking about variable resistors and not capacitors! duh! But go down anyway.
                    I Lowered that 500 pf mica down to a 330 pf already and I was on the right track,but thought I should check with you guys...Maybe I should try a ceramic there instead? It's grainier,but it might be less bright there also? Have to try it and see...

I'm waiting on one of Trace's Custom MM output transformers and choke..The amp rocks already overall even with the O.E.I in there....Trace talked me into spending more money "again".....Bastard....LOL

Comment

in all seriousness, I wired up a brigth switch with a 120pf cap and 47pf cap and the 120 was brighter.
                      See now you're doing the same thing as me on this cap Scott?

The 120 pf is (I think) brighter than the 47 pf across the Fender bright switch...The 47 pf comes out of the circuit quicker on the volume pot as you volume up towards 10 also....The smaller cap only allows the "higher" frequencies to pass...And this stuff always confuses me! LOL
                      Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 03-10-2006, 09:41 AM.

Comment

A ceramic cap is more nonlinear... don't ask me how this affect tone
                        I really like this article though:
                        Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.
                        Last edited by Marcel; 03-10-2006, 09:50 AM.
                        RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                        TS 7 (modded)
                        Hot Rod 50+ XL
                        Framus Dragon 4x12
                        V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel
                          A ceramic cap is more nonlinear... don't ask me how this affect tone
                          I really like this article:
                          http://members.aol.com/sbench102/caps.html
                          I'm not going to get into the whole tone issue with caps....LOL...

I Just try different caps and different values until I happen upon something that I Like....That's the only thing that really matters!

Comment

On it's own, when the value of the capacitor increases, the lower frequencies let through increases.

When parallelled with a resistor, it forms a tone network. Increasing the value of either the resistor or capacitor now, will result in less lower frequencies going through.
                            Richard

Marshall Mods

Comment

Originally posted by shredaholic
                              On it's own, when the value of the capacitor increases, the lower frequencies let through increases.

When parallelled with a resistor, it forms a tone network. Increasing the value of either the resistor or capacitor now, will result in less lower frequencies going through.
                              Now you're talking my language!

Great info....Appreciate that...

Comment

Working...
                              X