Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question For You Marshall Mod Guys?

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
    I'm not going to get into the whole tone issue with caps....LOL...

I Just try different caps and different values until I happen upon something that I Like....That's the only thing that really matters!
    You're right!! Nothing beats experience!! But it's fun to compare what you're ears tell you and what some theory tells you ...
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel
      You're right!! Nothing beats experience!! But it's fun to compare what you're ears tell you and what some theory tells you ...
      Yes....That's pretty much where I was trying to go and agree with you brother...
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by shredaholic
        On it's own, when the value of the capacitor increases, the lower frequencies let through increases.

When parallelled with a resistor, it forms a tone network. Increasing the value of either the resistor or capacitor now, will result in less lower frequencies going through.
        I Love the Sozo caps as they've loosened up and smoothed out a bit more...Trace likes using the 715 Orange Drops....
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

How's the Marshall sounding now, John?

One of common mods done to those amps, and the JMP/JCM 2203/4 was to remove the 470p cap that is parallel to the 470k resistor between the first and second gain stages. That instantly took any brightness away.

Comment

mmmmm.....

cheese

I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH
              How's the Marshall sounding now, John?

One of common mods done to those amps, and the JMP/JCM 2203/4 was to remove the 470p cap that is parallel to the 470k resistor between the first and second gain stages. That instantly took any brightness away.
              The Marshall is absolutely great Erik....I'm waiting on Trace(Voodoo Amps)to send me one of his V Plex Transformers and a better choke...

Removing those caps across the 470Ks also loses some gain....Don't want to do that...Trace said the Output transformer and choke will make the amp perfect....The amp sounds great right now and I'm really wondering about the extra stuff I bought now and if it's really needed? Each time I play through my amp,I notice it's more open....Sustain and great note articulation with it now with any of my guitars.....I'm real happy with it overall..

Comment

Working...
              X