Could a better speaker fix this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could a better speaker fix this?

Its hard to describe but the tone in my V1512 has been not quite what I want it to sound like. It has this kind of percussive sound I guess, kind of brittle to me ears on cleans especially. The overall character of the tone I like but theres just this feel to how its projected that gets on my nerves, especially at higher volumes. Do you think that this could be helped with a nicer speaker such as a Tone Tubby or a Weber? I really just want to keep the overall tone and just make it smoother and clearer with less brittle highs. The current speaker is the stock Celestion 70 eighty.
    Originally posted by ratherdashing
    If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Re: Could a better speaker fix this?

yes
    Originally posted by gibson175
    metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Ok, cool. What speakers would you guys recommend? My guitar teacher said that Weber makes some good affordable 12 inchers, I want somthing that sounds good in a low power (15 watt) amp. Has anyone with a V1512 or a Palmino V16 replaced thier speaker and if so what did you use? I have no experience with speaker swapping and dont have much cash to drain on experimenting.
      If inviting 200 drunken strangers to your parents house is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Comment

Actually, this sounds more like a bad, microphonic tube--from what I can hear all the way over here....

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

you could also try a Weber Beam blocker...it's a device designed to tame ice pick high end...I think it could help you and it's a good bit cheaper than new speakers
          Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
          It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

it might be a bad tube, I have one of those GT 12AX7M mullard reissue tubes in V1 and its starting to make funny noises like everyone says they do, all of the other tubes are stock including the NOT MATCHING output tubes, i am serious. The amp came with 2 different models of GT EL84s, one with a red label and one with a grey (I think, they are definatly different colors but its late and my memory sucks so im not sure what colors) the other 2 preamp tubes are generic sovteks. You guys think Tung-Sol tubes and JJ output tubes? Still a speaker upgrade might be in my future.

Comment

Working...
            X