Just Retubed my Amp...WOW!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Retubed my Amp...WOW!!!!

I am relatively new to tube amps (owned my Tremoverb for just over a year now) and never realized how much different tubes affect tone. When I received the amp it had relatively new (so I was told) Mesa 6L6's and Sovtek 12AX7WB's in it. I found it very cold so swapped the 6L6's for some JJ E34L's. This was the exact change the amp needed. I thought it sounded much better. So in the past year I have been practising with my band and recently gigging quite frequently and noticed my amp losing the power/volume it once had and also degrading in it's general tone. So I decided to do a complete retube. I swapped the Sovteks for some 9th Gen Chinese 12AX7's and got a new set of JJ E34L's (after much deliberation about trying the new JJ KT77's). All I can say is WOW!!!! This amp is a tone monster now. The power/volume has returned, as well as much tighter, more defined bass. The tone in general is also much improved. It's the best $150 I've spent in a little while.

I may still grab a quad of those KT77's and give them a whirl.
    Looking to Purchase:
    Axe-FX Ultra
    ART SLA2
    Mesa Boogie 2X12
    PRS Tremonti
    PRS Singlecut, SC245 or SC250
    Edwards Les Paul Custom
    Gibson Explorer
    Fender Stratocaster
    Fender Telecaster

Re: Just Retubed my Amp...WOW!!!!

yeah ,

my friend has a Marshall 100 watt Power amp with EL34's in it which he hasnt changed in like 7 years!
    the moron. he plays awesome too and i tell him dude you got to get new tubes in the thing.
    Ibanez Roadstar II
    EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
    VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

According to the guy who sold it to me, the tubes in the amp I just bought hadn't been changed since 99. I retubed it the other day and it's a huge difference. Just getting rid of those Sovtek preamp tubes made a significant difference.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Those 9th Gen Chinese 12AX7's (12AX7C's) really do a lot to tighten up a preamp section. Along with JJ E-34L's, you can't go wrong. Those are what I use in 2 of my amps, and they beat a lot of other combos, including some NOS stuff.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Bob
          I am relatively new to tube amps (owned my Tremoverb for just over a year now) and never realized how much different tubes affect tone. When I received the amp it had relatively new (so I was told) Mesa 6L6's and Sovtek 12AX7WB's in it. I found it very cold so swapped the 6L6's for some JJ E34L's. This was the exact change the amp needed. I thought it sounded much better. So in the past year I have been practising with my band and recently gigging quite frequently and noticed my amp losing the power/volume it once had and also degrading in it's general tone. So I decided to do a complete retube. I swapped the Sovteks for some 9th Gen Chinese 12AX7's and got a new set of JJ E34L's (after much deliberation about trying the new JJ KT77's). All I can say is WOW!!!! This amp is a tone monster now. The power/volume has returned, as well as much tighter, more defined bass. The tone in general is also much improved. It's the best $150 I've spent in a little while.

I may still grab a quad of those KT77's and give them a whirl.
          dude, you swapped changed the 6L6s with EL34s yourself? how difficult was it?

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner
            dude, you swapped changed the 6L6s with EL34s yourself? how difficult was it?
            With the Dual Recto's or Tremoverbs you can run either 6L6's or EL34's. There is a switch on the back that basically changes the bias based on tube type you've selected.
            Looking to Purchase:
            Axe-FX Ultra
            ART SLA2
            Mesa Boogie 2X12
            PRS Tremonti
            Edwards Les Paul Custom
            Gibson Explorer
            Fender Stratocaster
            Fender Telecaster

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Bob
              With the Dual Recto's or Tremoverbs you can run either 6L6's or EL34's. There is a switch on the back that basically changes the bias based on tube type you've selected.
              It's great feature when you get tired to your sound!
              My amp picks up a radio station - what can I do about this?

Tech Head response: Nuke the radio station?

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                Those 9th Gen Chinese 12AX7's (12AX7C's) really do a lot to tighten up a preamp section. Along with JJ E-34L's, you can't go wrong. Those are what I use in 2 of my amps, and they beat a lot of other combos, including some NOS stuff.
                I basically decided to go with the Chinese tubes based on your tube shoot out you did. It was definitely a great choice. I had godly tone at my gig last night. Much smoother, yet no less gnarly gain. Thanks GJ
                Looking to Purchase:
                Axe-FX Ultra
                ART SLA2
                Mesa Boogie 2X12
                PRS Tremonti
                Edwards Les Paul Custom
                Gibson Explorer
                Fender Stratocaster
                Fender Telecaster

Comment

Working...