Tube amp advice... please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube amp advice... please

So I got this little tube amp since last week that I could only play twice . I know that you need to give it a few minute after switching it on before playing but, is there any particular manip you need to do turning it off?

Both times, I waited about five to ten minutes after playing before turning it off and it did a cracking noise. The kind of noise you don't want to hear too often. It wasn't too loud but I still didn't like it.

It is noted in the manual that you should let the valves warm up at the start but nothing is said about the end of the session.

Edit: Both times I put the volume on 0 and unplugged the guitar before switchin off.
    Last edited by Jazz Rock; 03-12-2006, 05:04 AM.
    2017 PRS SE Custom 24
    2007 MIA Fender Telecaster (The Boss set)
    1996 Gibson Les Paul studio (Mississippi Queen n, The Mule b)
    1995 Epiphone Les Paul classic (Mississippi Queen set)

2012 Martin
    2002 Freshman FA 100SC
    Sae Han SD 51BK

Eganter Tweaker head > Celestion V10 / Neunaber Iconoclast

Re: Tube amp advice... please

My 1972 Fender Twin Reverb has a "standby" switch. Usually I either switch both that and the power switch to off at the same time, if I'm sure I'm not using it again. No crackling. If I was worried about it, I'd switch it to standby first, then to off. I believe the manual says that standby is for when you're not going to use it for a little bit, but will use it again within, say, an hour, etc.
    My Music Page
    Originally posted by vinterland
    I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
    Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

Originally posted by neosadist
      My 1972 Fender Twin Reverb has a "standby" switch. Usually I either switch both that and the power switch to off at the same time, if I'm sure I'm not using it again. No crackling. If I was worried about it, I'd switch it to standby first, then to off. I believe the manual says that standby is for when you're not going to use it for a little bit, but will use it again within, say, an hour, etc.
      My amp doesn't have a standby switch. But I think it doesn't really change anything. Do you just turn off your amp right away after you stopped playing?
      2017 PRS SE Custom 24

2012 Martin
      2002 Freshman FA 100SC
      Sae Han SD 51BK

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz Rock
        My amp doesn't have a standby switch. But I think it doesn't really change anything. Do you just turn off your amp right away after you stopped playing?
        Yes, usually I just power it off right after playing, plugged in or not. As for the standby, that keeps the tubes warm but not "on". I don't usually use that unless I'm leaving for a while and don't want to burn it up. Not like it would, but it's just one of those things....
        My Music Page
        Originally posted by vinterland
        I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
        Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

I had a classic 30 that did the same thing, it had no standby. I do not think it is a problem
          Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
          Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
          Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
          Epiphone LP Special w/JB
          Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
          Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
          1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
          Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Well folks, Thank you for your help.

I really can be fairly stupid sometimes. I don't know where I had the idea but... anyway.

I had a really good session on Sunday evening with my LP classic, playing with the amp knobs to test it and found some really sweet clean and not so clean sounds I couldn't dream of with the Marshall. I am starting to discover and understand how important can be the attack of the strings in your picking style.

After that, just turned the volume down and switched off the amp before unplugging the jack... It went fine, no unwanted sound at all.
            2017 PRS SE Custom 24

2012 Martin
            2002 Freshman FA 100SC
            Sae Han SD 51BK

Comment

The crackling is no big deal. It's the sound of the caps discharging without being recharged....it won't hurt anything.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
              X