Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss CH1 or CE5?

Which one is better?

If it helps, I'm thinking of the "Hysteria" (Def Leppard) rythmn sound. I can't seem to find any info on what chorus Phil Collen is using.

The CH1 seems to be better as far as the harmony-central and musiciansfriend reviews are concerned.

I might not be able to A/B them in a shop and will be buying used, hence, I posted here.

Thanks for the replies!

Re: Boss CH1 or CE5?

I don't have a CE5, but I own a CH1.

The CH1 is a bit more on the heavy chorus imo, and there's a bit of flanging if you max out all the controls. Can really get a Nirvana Chorus effect if you run it stereo through 2 amps.

Some people complain the CH1 is digital sounding (it's pure analog). I love the CH1 nevertheless - gotta turn it on all times when I switch on DD3. I say, if you want a bit more heavy chorusing, go for the CH1. If you just want a very mild clean chorus, look for other chorus pedals.

Comment

I'd go with the CH1. Satch getssome nice tones with his.
      Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
      Ibanez RG1570 Custom
      PRS McCarty STD
      '71 Gibson SG Custom
      Bogner Alchemist 2x12
      Vox AD15VT

Comment

I tried both a CE5 and CH1 when I was looking to buy a chorus pedal, and I eventually bought the CE5.

The CH1 had a nice sound to it, but as Thor mentioned, it is quite a thick/heavy chorus sound, and wasn't quite the tone I was after. I personally preferred the sound of the CE5, bought 1 and never regretted my decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Brow
          I tried both a CE5 and CH1 when I was looking to buy a chorus pedal, and I eventually bought the CE5.

The CH1 had a nice sound to it, but as Thor mentioned, it is quite a thick/heavy chorus sound, and wasn't quite the tone I was after. I personally preferred the sound of the CE5, bought 1 and never regretted my decision.
          What's with the CE5 that made you chose it over the CH1? Was it milder? More versatile?

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner
            What's with the CE5 that made you chose it over the CH1? Was it milder? More versatile?
            I found the CE5 to have a more 'natural' Tone to it. I found the CH1 to be a little 'imposing' in places. It had a very thick/heavy tone to it that I didn't really like much. It reminded me of an EH Small Clone Chorus kinda tone, and that's not really what I wanted from a Chorus Pedal.

Comment

I found the CE5 to have a more 'natural' Tone to it. I found the CH1 to be a little 'imposing' in places. It had a very thick/heavy tone to it that I didn't really like much. It reminded me of an EH Small Clone Chorus kinda tone, and that's not really what I wanted from a Chorus Pedal.
              even with the "e. level" turned down?

i'm not really big in choruses and would only want a "slight" chorus on my clean tone when the song asks for it. you think the CE5 would suit me better?

thanks!

Comment

even with the "e. level" turned down?

i'm not really big in choruses and would only want a "slight" chorus on my clean tone when the song asks for it. you think the CE5 would suit me better?

thanks!
                For a slight chorus tone, I'd suggest the CE5 myself. I don't use too much of it myself, and for me, the CE5 fitted the bill better

Comment

For a slight chorus tone, I'd suggest the CE5 myself. I don't use too much of it myself, and for me, the CE5 fitted the bill better
                  cool. thanks man!

Comment

cool. thanks man!
                    No worries

If you can, try them both out and see how you like them. That's the best thing to do

Comment

No worries

If you can, try them both out and see how you like them. That's the best thing to do
                      yeah, i hope i can do that in some shop soon...then buy used.

rock on!

Comment

my friend has a CE3 and told me it can do the "hysteria" intro... makes me wonder, is the CE3 really much better than the CE5 since it's all analog? it isn't noisy he says (the common problem with analog pedals)

Comment

I went thru the same dilemma a while back... I actually purchased both the CE1 and CE5 to try on my home rig. I eventually went with the CE5, it had more of the tone I was looking for. I wanted something more versatile, that could go from a very mild, laid back chorus, to something that had more impact, almost phase-like. The CE1 was kinda limited to my ears, it only had 1 tone... So I went with the CE5...
                          If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                          DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

The CE-5 is a better chorus for cleans.

The CH-1 is a better chorus for high gain.

IMO.
                            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Find a used CE-2.

But I believe Hysteria was a TC chorus. And that was THE chorus box to have back then.
                              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
                              X