Broken DSL50 revisited...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken DSL50 revisited...

So I do the deal with a bit a trepedation...$375 for a non-working DSL-50. Everything lights up, tubes glow, channels switch(light does at least), etc, but nothing comes out. I bring it home, pop off the back panels, dust it off a bit. I pull the HT fuse and it is burnt and doesn't pass signal with my multimeter. "Could it REALLY be this easy?" I say at midnight last night...today I hit the electronics store and get 4 fuses for $1.29. I come home, pop a fuse in, and the thing works. Ridiculous, eh? Who owns an amp and doesn't know changing the fuse is a user servicable thing? I actually feel bad about it. . .I certainly can't tell the guy it was JUST THE FUSE!!!

The reallly great part is I really like the amp. I've never owned a Marshall and have tried to coax Marshall tones out of my Mesa and my modded Classic 30 with limited success. I plug into this and its like "duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh". :-)

I guess Karma came back around for when I get ripped off last month.

Mike

Re: Broken DSL50 revisited...

I think you're a lucky guy....
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Oh man, you scored bigtime! I love my DSL 50. Had the bias lowered from 45mV to around 35 mV and I'm getting some great tones out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by msawitzke
        So I do the deal with a bit a trepedation...$375 for a non-working DSL-50. Everything lights up, tubes glow, channels switch(light does at least), etc, but nothing comes out. I bring it home, pop off the back panels, dust it off a bit. I pull the HT fuse and it is burnt and doesn't pass signal with my multimeter. "Could it REALLY be this easy?" I say at midnight last night...today I hit the electronics store and get 4 fuses for $1.29. I come home, pop a fuse in, and the thing works. Ridiculous, eh? Who owns an amp and doesn't know changing the fuse is a user servicable thing? I actually feel bad about it. . .I certainly can't tell the guy it was JUST THE FUSE!!!

The reallly great part is I really like the amp. I've never owned a Marshall and have tried to coax Marshall tones out of my Mesa and my modded Classic 30 with limited success. I plug into this and its like "duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh". :-)

I guess Karma came back around for when I get ripped off last month.

Mike
        Excellent deal..... now if the guy is a good friend give him another 100. If not don't worry about it!
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I never met the guy before in my life, just answered a classified. I figure I took the risk that the transformer was blown and got lucky with the fuse...

Comment

nice!!!
            gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
            '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
            mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
            marshall 1960A 4x12
            and a few pedals

Comment

Hey, as far as he knows, he got rid of a non-working amp.

If he cared the slightest, he would've had it checked out before selling it.

His loss = your gain

The fact that you feel bad says you're a character guy...on top of being a lucky MOFO !!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Dude that rwaks!

Don't feel bad about it, after all...HE wanted to sell it as-is.

See, karma IS real!
                J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                mixer|producer|recordist
                mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Excellent score! I'd retube the whole thing, and have a fresh new amp!

I wouldn't feel a bit bad. He sold you an amp with a defective fuse filament! hahahahahahaha
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

It is not wrong to find out it was an easy fix. How would you have felt if it cost $400.00 to fix? You fixed it, the other guy didn't.

Joneser mentioned an important thing, get it retubed and biased.

This may be a result of someone skipping some maintenance.

Just like a car, people that know how to do maintenance can get the easy fixer-uppers fixed. Don't learn how to do maintenance, and you could be the guy who sold this amp.
                    Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
                    Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Oh, that's sweet. I love those DSL50's. The clean channel is very nice. Overall I'd say that amp nails the Marshall tone...Oh, that's right, it is a MARSHALL!!!
                      GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
                      KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

I'm digging it a lot...I'm already plotting tube swapping...I'm plotting for a 2x12 cab, too...the combination of which raises a question: If I run a 4ohm cab, I'd be doubling the output of the Marshall(in theory, I don't know the real numbers). What kind of effect does this have on tube life?

I'm considering converting my mesa to a head and running my mesa and the marshall with an amp switch into one 2x12 cab. I'd have a lot of tone at my command and I'd finally have a good clean, dirty, crunchy, shred all at my feet kinda rig. Both heads are 50 watts into 8ohms, but will run at 4ohms as well, so I'm thinking of doing a 4ohm cab. Is this a bad move? I'm fine with 50 watts, so maybe 8ohm is better if it keeps the tubes and amps cooler...just thinking out loud!

Mike

Comment

How about a 2x12 with one amp running to each speaker?

One of my friends does that with a 4x12 and two heads, a Rivera & a chopped Deluxe Reverb. He loves it even though miking for a gig or recording takes a little more time to sort out.
                          J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                          mixer|producer|recordist
                          mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                          All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Interesting idea...I'm sure it would kick ass in parallel...I'll have to play around with that...

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose
                              How about a 2x12 with one amp running to each speaker?

One of my friends does that with a 4x12 and two heads, a Rivera & a chopped Deluxe Reverb. He loves it even though miking for a gig or recording takes a little more time to sort out.
                              I was gonna say the same thing, only with a 4x12...in an X pattern setup.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Working...
                              X