Name some recordings with 18 watt Marshall's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Name some recordings with 18 watt Marshall's

Since no one seems interested in answering JM's question, and just bashing the 18 Watter instead, I'll stick my nose in here.

My DIY 13 Watter is the best-sounding amp I've ever owned, period - and that includes two 2204's and two 2203's (JMP and JCM). Part of it is that its power output is more appropriate to my real needs, so I get to crank it to the sweet spot (which by the way is not "10" but around "6"). Mine is a Lite 2 version, built on an old Bogen PA chassis, using the Bogen's iron and ECL86 output tubes. (hence the 13 watts instead of the full 18).

I've written this before: it's a testament to the design that my amp sounds like a Marshall. It had EL84's to begin with, then I used ECL86's. In addition, I did just about everything I could to mess up this first-time build and it still came out sounding fantastic. No, it's not a Plexi, but it's a damn good amp at just the right power rating. If you want it a bit more Plexi-ish, build a TMB version and/or consider a solid state rectifier.

I also hear that the "6V6 Plexi" is another great-sounding amp with reasonable power. Search for Mark Huss' website for more info. I have another Bogen that's destined to be a JTM45, but I'm going to set it up to be convertible to a 6V6 Plexi by flipping a switch and swapping output tubes. 'Cuz I know I'll never be able to crank a JTM to the sweet spot.

JumpMarine, it's a shame you don't live in Texas - 'cause you're invited over to my place anytime to hear my blue mutant baby.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Thanks Rich, I appreciate the first hand account! I am considering building a TMB 18 watter, but haven't ironed out the details as of yet.
      '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

I see the attraction to the TBM, when folks are coming from a big Marshall or other amp with a full tone stack. However, I don't miss the extra EQ, and one less tube makes the whole amp simpler.

The Lite II preamp design is really clever - one input jack gives you a single input stage triode, the other jack gives you two triodes in parallel. I usually use the dual-triode input; it gives a fatter tone. I find that the choice of two input jacks plus the single tone control give me enough plenty of tone-shaping ability. It's still a one-trick pony, but it's a really great trick, and not completely non-tweakable.

I'll say it again - if you're looking for a tighter sound, consider a SS recto. Also, the speaker is important. A lot of people like the G12H30, but a Duane fan like you might want something more JBL-ish. I have a G12H80 in mine - a loud, clean speaker that kinda reminds me of the EVM-12L's I had 'way back when. Look into Ted Weber's high-powered speakers, too - the Michigan and the California.
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I've got a pair of V30's, Texas Heat and a Swamp Thang to start out experimenting with.
          '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Hey Jump....why did you bag the Goodwood set? I just ordered a set of the Fillmores based on the clip....silly i know...lol
            '05 '59 Les Paul RI, WCR Goodwoods
            '06 '58 Les Paul VOS, WCR Fillmores
            '04 '57 Les Paul RI, WCR Moore/Green
            '98 '54 Les Paul Custom RI, SD CS P90/A5
            '01 Firebird V
            '06 '51 Nocaster Relic, SD CS Broadcaster
            '94 40th Ann '54 Strat RI, Antiquities
            '96 '62 Strat RI, Fralin Blues Specials
            '05 '52 Tele RI, Fralin Blues Specials
            '94 Mexican Tele, Broadcaster/Vintage
            '04 Martin HD28V
            '66 Vibrolux Reverb
            Fender CS '57 Twin RI
            Marshall 1987x RI
            Soultone 18w
            Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S
              I have another Bogen that's destined to be a JTM45, but I'm going to set it up to be convertible to a 6V6 Plexi by flipping a switch and swapping output tubes. 'Cuz I know I'll never be able to crank a JTM to the sweet spot.
              I'll be looking forward to hearing about that when you finish it!
              formerly n00b

Comment

Originally posted by jdm61
                Hey Jump....why did you bag the Goodwood set? I just ordered a set of the Fillmores based on the clip....silly i know...lol
                What I thought, as well as the original owner, were Goodwoods, turned out to be Fillmore's. Don't get me wrong, the Fillmore's are awsome and I only swapped it for the CS Brobucker for the time being.

Comment

I did answer the question...I don't know af any recordings that were made with an 18 watt Marshall. I then also added my 2 cents that an 18 watt Marshall is a very over hyped piece of gear and IMO one of the worst sounding amps that lots of people go crazy to get, pay too much money for and built clone after clone after clone of.

If you have an 18 watt Marshall or one of the many lones or a homebrew and you like thats great really I was trying to make a very serious point...Ryan mentioned an 18 watt Marshall and the Bluesbreaker album with Clapton. If he is looking to get that tone and looking at an 18 watt Marshall he is gonna be very let down if you pays a load of money and spends a lot of time building an 18 watter because it's not gonna sound anything like the Beano record.

The other truth is that an 18 watt kit and a JTM-45 kit will cost with in a hundred dollars or so of the same thing so...if someone is looking for the beano thing a JTM-45 is the way to go and if someone is looking for an 18 watter relive that it doen't do the Beano thing.
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I hear what you are saying Christian...I agree they are overhyped (and the Marshall's way overpriced) and peoples expectations are misguided...AND they prolly don't know how to set them correctly...similar to the prob many have with a MESA. I personally don't think many if any NMV marshalls sound best dimed. I never dimed my 1987 nor the metalfaces/plexis/majors (ouch!) I've messed with. They just get too flubby..unless they are modded to compensate. 2 to 3 oclock seems to be the sweet spot on a "stock" NMV. Need more gain..goose it.

But in general I'm not a fan of EL84s at all. I do know Trace @ Voodoo recommends the "6v6 plexi" over El84s as I made some inquiries a year ago about getting a low wattage plexi built...he immediately dismissed using EL84s for "best" tone.
                    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

My JTM45 RI sounded great cranked all the way up......it sagged like Grandma's boobs...lol Jump....I can't wait to get my Fillmores. Did your R7 come with the RS electronics installed? Jim recommeneds those as a m"must have" They did wonders for my Mexi-Tele (along with the Broadcaster PUP) The RS kit tamed the biting high end and turned this $175 gitfiddle into what my tech called one of the best sounding Tele's he has ever heard.
                      '01 Firebird V
                      '04 Martin HD28V
                      '66 Vibrolux Reverb
                      Fender CS '57 Twin RI
                      Marshall 1987x RI
                      Soultone 18w
                      Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

Originally posted by jdm61
                        My JTM45 RI sounded great cranked all the way up......it sagged like Grandma's boobs...lol Jump....I can't wait to get my Fillmores. Did your R7 come with the RS electronics installed? Jim recommeneds those as a m"must have" They did wonders for my Mexi-Tele (along with the Broadcaster PUP) The RS kit tamed the biting high end and turned this $175 gitfiddle into what my tech called one of the best sounding Tele's he has ever heard.
                        The electronics are all stock and to be honest sound and feel pretty good. The RS kit would have to sound REALLY good to warrent me spending $ on it.

Comment

Thanks again Christian, I really do respect your ears on this stuff. I didn't think that you would take such a hard line about the 18 watters though, LOL. It's funny that I keep coming back to the JTM 45 as the sound that I'm really looking for. The clips of the homebuilts(18's) that I have been listening too are spectacular though. I wish that someone would post a clip of Scott's Edana.....you know who you are! I do like your idea of having the power on hand and then using the YJ's to cut the power down. But in reality, how good does that really sound?

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                          I did answer the question...I don't know af any recordings that were made with an 18 watt Marshall. I then also added my 2 cents that an 18 watt Marshall is a very over hyped piece of gear and IMO one of the worst sounding amps that lots of people go crazy to get, pay too much money for and built clone after clone after clone of.

If you have an 18 watt Marshall or one of the many lones or a homebrew and you like thats great really I was trying to make a very serious point...Ryan mentioned an 18 watt Marshall and the Bluesbreaker album with Clapton. If he is looking to get that tone and looking at an 18 watt Marshall he is gonna be very let down if you pays a load of money and spends a lot of time building an 18 watter because it's not gonna sound anything like the Beano record.

The other truth is that an 18 watt kit and a JTM-45 kit will cost with in a hundred dollars or so of the same thing so...if someone is looking for the beano thing a JTM-45 is the way to go and if someone is looking for an 18 watter relive that it doen't do the Beano thing.

Comment

My Tele needed a complete makeover, but as a stereo geek, what sold me was that Hovland cap. As for my R9, what I want most from the RS kit are the audio taper pots. I don't know sh*t from Shinola about these reissue "bumblebees" but the Hovland ain't gonna sound worse...lol. The current CTS pots are like a light switch at about 4. I also consider, in my VERY limted experience, that the JTM45 is a true "desert isle" amp like a Deluxe. If you can only have one amp, thats a damn good place to start. lookin.
                            '01 Firebird V
                            '04 Martin HD28V
                            '66 Vibrolux Reverb
                            Fender CS '57 Twin RI
                            Marshall 1987x RI
                            Soultone 18w
                            Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

Originally posted by JumpMarine
                              Thanks again Christian, I really do respect your ears on this stuff. I didn't think that you would take such a hard line about the 18 watters though, LOL. It's funny that I keep coming back to the JTM 45 as the sound that I'm really looking for. The clips of the homebuilts(18's) that I have been listening too are spectacular though. I wish that someone would post a clip of Scott's Edana.....you know who you are! I do like your idea of having the power on hand and then using the YJ's to cut the power down. But in reality, how good does that really sound?
                              Im not taking any line really about the 18 watters I just see them as over priced, over hyped, over used and IMO typically terrible sounding. Maybe thats just me but I don't care for them. I would much rather have a JTM-45 and if your looking for that sound (the JTM-45) there is only one way to get it...get a JTM-45. As for the Yellow Jackets I recently played a 70 model 1987 Marshall with a set of Yellow Jackets in it...it was missing a tad of the EL34 character but for bringing the power down from 50 to 15 watts it was MUCH better than any attenuator I have ever heard...attenuators sound better the less attenuation you use so it also allowed you to use an attenuator better since you are starting at 15 watts instead of 50.

if you want an 18 watter get one...belive me I have lots iof gear people advised against and I love it I just don't care for the tone of them most of the time. Also, people often call them the "Baby Bluesbreaker" that term couldn't be farther from the truth...a JTM-45 has got beautiful clean tones a killer mid gain grind and a beautiful cranked lead tone (the Beano record was recorded with the amp all but ALL the way up and using a Rangemaster treble booster...that is a GREAT tone and IMO the benchmark for LP/Marshall tone)...the 18 watters do not have that kind of tone. Thats all I was saying.
                              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                              X