ei Elite golds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ei Elite golds!

So how you guys like them? I have them in my amp, a 12ax7 and el84, I'm not sure what other tubes (of the same type) sound like compared to them. I can say these tubes increased my amp's definition but not in a way that i like. Do tubes need to be broken in?

Re: ei Elite golds!

I haven't tried the EL-84's, but I have 3 of the 12AX7's (ECC83). I was thinking they'd be great, especially because the gold pins make them look like something special. The truth is, they're OK. I thought they were a little bright and sterile sounding, but it's hard to tell with preamp tubes because their tone isn't dramatic. I've got them sitting in my box of tubes, not in an amp.......they're still decent tubes though.

I still like the JJ EL-84's, and would probably use those if I got another EL-84 amp.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

^thats exactly what I felt too. They are a bit bright and sterile sounding, I was trying to convince myself that it was just me since these are advertised as the greatest thing since slice bread. But I gotta say, I was using the amp as a speaker last night as one of my computers does not have one, and it seems that these tubes make good hi-fi ampliers tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
        I haven't tried the EL-84's, but I have 3 of the 12AX7's (ECC83). I was thinking they'd be great, especially because the gold pins make them look like something special. The truth is, they're OK. I thought they were a little bright and sterile sounding, but it's hard to tell with preamp tubes because their tone isn't dramatic. I've got them sitting in my box of tubes, not in an amp.......they're still decent tubes though.

I still like the JJ EL-84's, and would probably use those if I got another EL-84 amp.
        GJ....I also tryed the EI Gold 12AX7 in my Marshall the other day for V1...Guess what,stuck the NOS Mullard back into V1....Was disapointed with the EI my darnself!
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by fatigueofheart
          ^thats exactly what I felt too. They are a bit bright and sterile sounding, I was trying to convince myself that it was just me since these are advertised as the greatest thing since slice bread. But I gotta say, I was using the amp as a speaker last night as one of my computers does not have one, and it seems that these tubes make good hi-fi ampliers tubes.
          Wasn't just you forum brother!
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I might sell my 3 12AX7 EI Gold Elites, and a set of regular EI's I have.
            For the money I'd get for them, I'd probably go out and get a handful of those newest JJ's....the ECC803S. I also really like the GT 12AX7C's. I think they're highly rated Shuguang 9th Generations, tested to high standards, and relabeled by Groove Tube.

Comment

how and where do you sell them?

Comment

Probably on here or Ebay. I couldn't really sell them as new, since I used them for an hour, but essentially they're new. They aren't bad tubes, but I wouldn't buy EI's again.

Comment

Yep, JJ EL-84s own, definitely the best modern production EL-84 available.

Sorry for getting off topic on this, anybody know where the best place to get Shuguang 9th gen Chinese from? I'm looking to buy some for my Bogner.
                  Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                  Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Better is often the enemy of good
                  Originally posted by ginormous
                  Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

wat bout EH 12ax7 they imporved my tone but i had 12AX7WB before that
                    Gondola Kid
                    Bandcamp
                    Facebook
                    JimijaymesGuitarist
                    Youtube

Comment

EH Electroharmonix tubes seem good. I think they're just top shelf Sovteks, but Sovtek's best tubes are perfectly good. The EH and Sovtek LPS are excellent 12AX7's.

Comment

I had some older Ei's in my Mesa Blue Angel....Ei Silvers or something like that.

Anyway, they were very good......don't know about the gold ones, but I've heard from a lot of people that they aren't all that

Never tried the EL84s....

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                        Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                        FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Working...
                        X