Marshalls for Slash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshalls for Slash

Hey guys, I know there is a thread that asks about cloning Slash's sound. Im a HUGE Slash fan and have really been lusting after his tone, all of his eras really, but just as a reference, let says that I like the tone on the Illusions the best (The Garden, Locomotion, Right Next Door to Hell etc). Ive been taking a break from playing blues and jazz stuff and going back to straight up rock and roll (GNR, AC/DC, Aerosmith mostly).

So I looked on the bay for some Slash type amps. Seen the 2555s, seen some other silver jubilees and the slash signature head and really fell in love with them. I kinda do not want to rely on ebay and bust my ass looking for the right one when the time comes. So I was wondering about the JCM 800 reissue 2203 model. Do they sound like a jubilee or something of the such? I looked on some Slash fan sites and it said that he used some JCM 800s. They were made in similar years (the 800 in 83 and the jubilees in 87). So would I get a good slash sound with a JCM 800? My guitar is a stock LP R7 Goldtop (2005) and an Epiphone LP Standard (2004) that is in the shop getting outfitted with PGs. Id use mostly the R7 obviously, but I am not putting Alnico Pro IIs in it, its got too much moral value to me. If I decided to go and clone Slash's sound, Id buy a Boss EQ pedal, and I already have my Crybaby Classic. Being familiar with Orange amps and cabs, Id buy a 2 x 12 (I dont need a 4 x 12) Orange cab which are loaded with Vintage 30s (Slash uses them). Any suggestions? Thanks.
    - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
    - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
    - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
    - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
    - Tungsten Buckwheat
    - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
    - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
    - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Re: Marshalls for Slash

If you do buy an EQ get the MXR 108, its a billions times better than the GE-7, and of course slash uses that.

Slash's live tone has quite a lot of gain and upper mids, much more than the 800. I've been able to get slash's sounds easily with a DSL on the ultragain channel lead 1, with all the extra buttons and such off. But i also have his pickups so that contributes aswell.

But then again the rest of the DSL does kinda lack in many other areas if you wanted versatility. So you could get the 800 and run the EQ in front and boost the gain and upper mids.
    Last edited by Funky P; 03-15-2006, 03:12 PM.
    Ibanez SZ520 (APHn/APHb)

Comment

Per Slash's tech Adam Day: Slash has used DSL's in a pinch.
      Originally posted by Frankly
      PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
      Originally posted by Diocletian
      Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

I would grab a DSL or TSL and then you just have that much more versatility at your disposal. And i'm sure you could get pretty damn close to Slash's tone with one of those
        Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
        Warmoth Musiclander (Invader/'59 model) see display pic <---
        Jackon Pro Series Dinky w/OFR (EMG 81/60)

Marshall JCM 800 4104 (2xEminence Governor)

Visual Sound Route 808
        Boss SD-1
        Digitech Bad Monkey
        Vox V-847 wah

Comment

You know, I think everyone will tell you the DSLs and TSLs are just as good.

POLITELY, NO NO NO NO NO THEY ARE NOT! The originals do have a MOJO thing going - BUT THEY ARE INCONSISTENT - not everyone sounds good.

Some people will tell you the 2205 and 2210 are a poor man's version - and they might be right. Then there are those that dispute the LATER models of those amps are better sounding.

The Jube is diode clipped as is the 2205 and 2210, esp those near 1989. I happen to like almost everyone I have heard at clubs.

That being said - between the DSL and TSL I would take the DSL since it is more "BROWN". On the other hand, I have A/B's the JCM800 RI against a TSL and really felt the 800 is more brown and fuller - thought it LACKS versatiity.

I can tell you this - I use an oooold RAT pedal thru a JCM800 (horizontal input model) and the tone is AMAZING! (not my rig btw)

If you really spend the RETAIL price on the Marshall and want a sweet, classic Slash-like tone - consider some other brands in the 2000 range such as the Bogner Shiva.

Keep in mind - PURE TONE and Marshall mids count.

My argument in favor of the RI is you can mod it, esp if you put in a Mercury Mag tranny, it will get darker and meaner.

Since you like new Slash tone's as well you can consider some higher gain options. I think you can get amazing Marshall tones out of cranked NMV models with a pedal in front.

Had to throw in the 2 cents because I feel all the new Marshalls can get the tone, but some amps have that extra sauce to them.

GEARJONESER owns a BOGNER ECSTASY and a JUBILEE FULL STACK so ask him!
          1973 Les Paul Standard
          1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Jubilees are flying upwards in price, so if you really want one you'd better act quick. They made silvers in 87, black in 88, and Slash's in 96.

The DSL's are the closest relative of the Jubilees, in sound. I've had a DSL sitting next to my Jubilee and A/B'd them. The clean channels are way different. The DSL's clean is fat and round like a JTM 45. The Jubilee's clean is thinner, glassier, and more Vox-like. The gain on the DSL is versatile and pretty similar to a Jubilee. The Jubilee gain channel is equally versatile, and sounds a little more open and less boxy than the DSL, although the DSL will get you closer than any other Marshall. The Jubilee's diode clipping circuit sounds great with humbuckers, but kinda thin with single coils, which is the only thing that bugs me about Jubilees......they aren't the best amp to use with a strat.

I think you'll get close to Slash's sound by using a DSL 50 or 100 with a Marshall 1960AV Vin 30 cab, and Alnico II Pro's in a Les Paul.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks a lot for the replies. Ugh, I really do not care for the DSLs and TSLs though. Just my opinion of course. I played the TSLs numerous times and they just didnt give me any warmth and the lead channel was useless to me. The DSLs werent as bad, gave that Marshall crunch better than the TSLs, but I still wasnt crazy for them. I gotta try one out again and think this whole thing out. Myabe look at some jubilees on the internet some more.

BTW, Id get an attenuator (probably a THD Hot Plate) with the Marshall. I know how to hook one up to an open back combo (you can reach the speakers), but how do you hook it up to a closed back cab? IS there a way to do it without taking apart the whole cab? Thanks.
              Last edited by Gunny47; 03-16-2006, 06:22 AM.
              - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
              - Tungsten Buckwheat
              - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

Head/ speaker out - attenuator - into the cab.

A nicely tuned up DSL50 is a good Marshall. It's so hard to appreciate them in the store though because the volume has to be past 3 before you hear the real tone. Below that and you're just hearing preamp buzz. Plus, you really need to own a Marshall w/Vintage 30's or H30's to get a great tone. Most Marshall cabs still come with the G75T's which are a little too bright and crunchy.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

U gave me a major gas attack dude. i looked up some info on the DSL and pics. Reviews from Harmony and Musicians Friend, I got some major cravings for that crunch now. I played some sound clips of the DSLs on MF and I fell in love, I gotta give the DSL50 another chance. Like I said before, Id probably pair wit with the Orange 2 x 12 cab (with Vintage 30s) and would put an attenuator with it. Im still not sure. Im not a modern guy at all, I was going to get the Fender Tweed Twin-amp (57 RI PTP combo) but now I just got some gas for some Marshall sound. Ill have to think about it some more.

I played a TSL100 with the Marshall cab with those G75T speakers and thats what really turned me off to the modern Marshalls a while ago. They are so bright and crumby sounding, I could not get any warmth for crap. So I gotta check out the DSLs. I played the 401s before and they are a good combo, never got to crank them though. Any other suggestions for a good 2 x 12 speaker cab for the DSL50? Any other suggestions whether to get that or the Fender or the JCM 800 2203X? Thanks.
                  - Tungsten Buckwheat
                  - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

Working...
                  X