treble boost/clean boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• treble boost/clean boost

i need something to kick up my levels for solos -- i use a spina-modded ts-9 and an ibanez delay, and i want something like a rangemaster or a clean boost -- actually something with some grit in it, but not too much -- all suggestioins gratefully considered.......... thanks!

Re: treble boost/clean boost

Have John modify a Sparkledrive for you. It can be dirty or used as a very transparent boost....I love the versatility it has.

Originally posted by tone4days
    we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

that sounds like a really interesting idea -- i sent john a pm asking about it -- i should remember that the best advice comes from this forum!!

Comment

SD pickup booster or a fulltone fat boost.

chris
        "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

I used to have an Analog Beano (Dallas Rangemaster clone). It was a great little pedal, and the germanium transistor in it adds a really organaic feel to it.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

The Xotic AC Booster and RC Booster are becoming pretty popular. Check into those.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              The Xotic AC Booster and RC Booster are becoming pretty popular. Check into those.
              +1. Great boost pedals.
              GUITARS
              STRATS: Custom Strat - Lil 59/Classic Stack/Hot Stack, Jackson Fusion - C5/JB Jr/JB Jr, Kramer Pacer Custom - CC/SSL-1/SSL-1, Schecter V-1 Plus - C5/SSL-6/SSL-6, VH1 Strat - 59, Fender Partsocaster - C/PG hybrids

LESTERS: Edwards Sykes Custom - DD/DD, Edwards Custom V/white - JB/59, Burny Floyd Rose Les Paul
              AMPS
              Engl Screamer 50 combo + V112 Cab, Splawn Competition, Marshall 1982A & 1982B, Marshall 1960A.

Comment

The Boss BD-2 has got craploads of clean boost . . . and you can add some grit to taste . . .
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

bungalow -- john says he's not thrilled with the idea - he recommends the sd pickup booster -- but shopping for this stuff is too much fun to stop yet
                  anybody know the difference between the AC booster and the RC booster? has anyone tried the keeley katana boost?

Comment

The Katana Boost is excellent. It's really clean but gets real nasty too, with the additional gain stage enabled. I really like it. Don't own one but played with one for a while last year at a guitar show.

If you know how to build your own, look in to the AMZ Mosfet Boost or AMZ Mini-Booster.
                    Rangemaster clones are a dime a dozen and can be built for a fraction of what people charge for a clone.
                    The EH LPB-1/2 is really nice too, some serious boost there.
                    Last edited by ErikH; 03-16-2006, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hellatone
                      bungalow -- john says he's not thrilled with the idea - he recommends the sd pickup booster -- but shopping for this stuff is too much fun to stop yet
                      anybody know the difference between the AC booster and the RC booster? has anyone tried the keeley katana boost?
                      I use mine as a clean boost and an OD, works good for both. If you want a dedicated boost, GJ gave you a couple of good ones.

Comment

i'm actually still intrigued by the sparkle drive idea -- what did john's mods do for it?

Comment

Originally posted by hellatone
                          i'm actually still intrigued by the sparkle drive idea -- what did john's mods do for it?
                          The SD is a TS-808 circuit made with high grade components complete with mid hump. After John's mods it is much more transparent, has more gain, less mid hump, more bass response, and is very "amplike" in tone. The clean control is cool.....you dial up clean tone to mix with the OD to make the tone more "real" sounding. I love mine for low to medium gain bluesy stuff and I use it as a clean boost when I rehearse with my Blues JR.

Comment

The RGW Electronics Bad Bob Booster is excellent and pretty much fits what you described -- a full clean boost with a bit of grit available. It is based on the Jack Orman (AMZ) JFET mini-booster circuit, as are many others (e.g., Fulltone Fat Boost). There are also MOSFET boosters out there, but they apparently tend to sound a bit brighter. The EH LPB-1 is another cool option that is a bit grittier yet than the Bad Bob, but perhaps not quite as smooth overall -- more like a fuller-bodied variant of a treble booster. I think the SD pickup booster may be a spin on the LPB-1 with some added features.
                            It's best to try before you buy, as they all tend to sound a little different.

Comment

Try before you buy, or in my case....breadboard before perfboard.

Comment

Working...
                              X