Favorite Tweed Speaker Config

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Tweed Speaker Config

I'm going to put my Tweed Pro/Bandmaster/Super on the market soon.

What is the most popular speaker config? Not too many folks seem to like 15" speakers.

I'm guess a 3x10 might be the most popular.

Thanks.
    3x10
    38.46%
    2x10
    38.46%
    1x15
    23.08%

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Re: Favorite Tweed Speaker Config

2x10 for me. Makes it easier to swap speakers if I feel the need to.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

The 3x10 makes the most of that amp by pushing a lot of air...not quite a Bassman, but a considerable improvement in low end and a bigger tone over the 2x10. Maybe one of the best configurations in a medium power tweed for rock stuff. I also like the 1x15 a lot, but I use it clean and it sounds big and fat in front of a mike or in lower volume situations. They both have their place...

Comment

I'd go with 4 10" and make it more like a real Super or Bassman. I think a 15 in a lower wattage amp is also a good way to go. If you think of some of the shortcomings of a Deluxe Reverb, a 15" speaker would solve a lot of it. I have not given up the idea of putting a 15" Jensen or Altec in my Deluxe yet!
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

i prefer the 2x10 since then you can add another cab if you want. the bandmaster is a great amp too, a little cleaner and with a tighter bottom end but i still like the 2x10. never loved 15" in guitar amps, something in the mids never sounds right to me

Comment

What's wrong with a good 12" in that combo? Failing that, I think a 2x10 or a 1x15 would be the most versatile if you provide an ext cab output and impedance switch. The 3x10 would add bulk and limit extension options, but I'm sure it would sound very cool in its own right.

Comment

I think you should offer what the other companies didn't offer. The Tweed configuration that I always thought would be the absolute best is a 12-10, like the Gibson Goldtone. You'll cover all the good frequencies with a 12 and a 10.

Plus, it'll grab players' eyes, because I don't think Fender, Victoria, Holland, or Blues Pearl ever did those, and they're the benchmark for boutique Tweeds.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I can just have a new baffle cut for the existing Tweed Pro. A 12/10 combo might be kinda cool. Hmm... what speakers now.....

How about a nice ceramic 12 and an alnico 10? C12N/P10R ?

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

One 12 and one 10 could be cool but be honest if you use the right 10's 2 10's is plenty of speaker! I know you use the Jensen and Mojo speakers in your amps but I have 2 Weber VST 10's in my Mission Amps Super and they kick like a mule...I don't think I woudl gain anything by going to 12's in this amp. FWIW, I went with a 10A100T and a 10F125 (that is a P10RT and a C10Q in jensen speak) it is a killer set...killer honky/reedy tweed tone from the alnico and massive lows and punch from the ceramic. I love it!
                  If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

lWell, I want to sell the amp. I got very little interst in the 1x15 configuration. I thought I might try it as a 3x10 or 2x10. I need to make some room here.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

I was thinking of a Bassman/Bassbreaker hybrid with the 12/10, since I remember the 12's on the Bassbreaker handles lows better than the Bassman.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Fender makes (or made) an amp - The Two Tone, that had a 10" and a 12" speaker - sounded awesome, but only 15 watts. I would make mine with the 10 and the 12 - then you get best of both worlds. A 15" speaker is just wrong for a guitar. The Vibro King, with 3 - 10s is great - but big and expensive. Hmmmm..... What about 2 10s and a 12..... big but....?
                        Take care!

Comment

15" speakers are cool if used in the right applications. Nothing tops one for a good smooth sound and they just sound "old". Plugged into a bassman 60 the other day farting around in a pawn shop. That old 15" speaker was SO nice to the ears. Very pleasing once the tone was dialed in right.

Comment

With a 15 inch speaker, you have to dial in the tone, but once it's there It's there. Your better off using 2 - 10's or 2 -12's to maintain that portability.

You can alway use an external cabinet or mike the amp.

To properly use the 3-10's or 3-12's combination, you need to match the transformer and then you have problems with extension cabinets...

Other choices are to mix different speaker types together (My Little Jimi does exactly that Hopefully, you remember the full bodied tone from the Houston jam two years ago.)
                            Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                            When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                            Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                            Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                            Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

If you want to maximize clean headroom and volume output, consider the Jensen Neo speakers. I tried a Neo 12 with my '54 tweed Deluxe, and it sounded fantastic. Unfortunately, it was too loud for my recording needs, but it would be my first choice for turning this old 5D3 into a giggable amp. I think a pair of Neo 10s would be a great sonic choice in a tweed amp, and would be extremely portable and easy on the back. I may try a set in my '63 Tremolux cab.

Comment

Working...
                              X