Combo Amp Invention...The Enhancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combo Amp Invention...The Enhancer

Some of you may have seen these. It's basically an amp stand shaped like a horn, which projects the open back sound forward, under the amp's speaker.

Anyone own one? Would you buy one?
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Re: Combo Amp Invention...The Enhancer

Looks cool, but I wouldn't buy one. If I'm going to carry something that big around I'd rather it be a 4x12.

Besides, I thought the whole point to an open/partially open back cab was that it reflected off the wall behind it?
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I don't think I'd buy 1, but I would be interested in what it does to the sound of the amp

Comment

Interesting concept, I'll give them that.

As for the "open back bouncing of the wall" thing....I think an open back just has an airy fuller sound to it, as opposed to a tighter in your face sound of the closed back.

Seems to me that The Enhancer would still need to be off the ground or all the sound is forced low & would be pretty bassy.

I wonder what it's made of, how heavy it is...and how much???!!!!

For me, I'd rather spend the money on a stand or one of these:

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
        Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
        FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

When I saw the title, a thought it meant "enhance" as in the way a pair of socks can be used to enhance the appearance of manliness. I envisioned a folding contraption comprising fiberglass rods and nylon fabric (sort of like those kiddie play tents) that would disguise your Blues Junior as a half stack.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I stick a 2x4 under the front center part of my 2x12 cab to get some projection upward and that's normally all I need...
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S
              I envisioned a folding contraption comprising fiberglass rods and nylon fabric (sort of like those kiddie play tents) that would disguise your Blues Junior as a half stack.
              Patent that idea before someone else does.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon_F
                Patent that idea before someone else does.
                Tell you what - you can have the idea; patent it yourself and make a million EU's. Just send me that JMP head in your avatar and we'll call it even.

Here's another idea I had recently (after too much correspondence with WhoFan) - an inflatable Hiwatt triple-double stack for Who tribute bands.
                Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I've played through one. It does make the amp sound huge...really huge. I like the concept, but it is a big clunky thing that I certainly wouldn't want to drag to gigs. I am very conservative about how much gear I want to take to gigs, though (aside from my rather large pedalboard).

Comment

Originally posted by msawitzke
                    I've played through one. It does make the amp sound huge...really huge. I like the concept, but it is a big clunky thing that I certainly wouldn't want to drag to gigs. I am very conservative about how much gear I want to take to gigs, though (aside from my rather large pedalboard).
                    I'm glad to hear that you tried it and liked it. It does look like a cool thing, although it's way too clumsy looking to be dragging it around. It's made out of plywood and covered with bedliner spray. Pretty cool invention.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I built a big shelf a couple of years ago out of some plywood we had lying around and I usually stick my one little open back amp in the bottom shelf and the other one on top. Same kind of idea I think . . . it seems to give more bass, and a little more of a focused sound if it is at all the same . . .
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have always been interested in them, but there are no dealers in the state of washington. I would try one. I am one of those guys that will try anything. Guitar equipment is a lot like women. I NEVER descriminate. If it looks good, or like it serves a purpose I am willing to try.
                        Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
                        gibson, marshall, fender, magnatone, THD amps
                        SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Comment

The cool thing is they calculated the shape and size to compensate for the out of phase signal coming out of the back of your speaker so it is time aligned when it comes out the front. Pretty killer, really...

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S
                            Tell you what - you can have the idea; patent it yourself and make a million EU's. Just send me that JMP head in your avatar and we'll call it even.

Here's another idea I had recently (after too much correspondence with WhoFan) - an inflatable Hiwatt triple-double stack for Who tribute bands.
                            The best idea I've ever heard! I'd buy as many as I could...or however many could fit wherever I'd be playing.
                            The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
                            And Here on Bandcamp!
                            Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

i saw the ad for that beastie in a couple of the mags. They claim that it can give you up to a 6 db boost in volume....that can't be all bad if you are really partial to your Deluxe or Princeton.
                              '05 '59 Les Paul RI, WCR Goodwoods
                              '06 '58 Les Paul VOS, WCR Fillmores
                              '04 '57 Les Paul RI, WCR Moore/Green
                              '98 '54 Les Paul Custom RI, SD CS P90/A5
                              '01 Firebird V
                              '06 '51 Nocaster Relic, SD CS Broadcaster
                              '94 40th Ann '54 Strat RI, Antiquities
                              '96 '62 Strat RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                              '05 '52 Tele RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                              '94 Mexican Tele, Broadcaster/Vintage
                              '04 Martin HD28V
                              '66 Vibrolux Reverb