C30 oddity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C30 oddity

I was on my way to a small city about a 1/2 hour away tonight for a Jam with a drummer i know.... I took my stock 99 MIM Tele Standard and my Classic 30... We did some computer recording and that combo with the tele made some cool sounds! But my C 30 still has that buzzing sound inside the chassy somewhere with the low notes....

but some other things i noticed tonight...

1-The amp started to sound a little cleaner the longer i used it... strange!!! could this be a sign of needing new tubes?

2-the Reverb unit in my C30 has always been extremely sensitive when i move the cabnet around... sitting in the back seat of my car the reverb was making all sorts of noise with every little bump in the road. Is this normal? Loud slapping noises from the reverb tank as i drove along. I can imagine what that would of sounded like if i had it pluged in and on!!! On my C30 the reverb is so sensitive i never have it above 2 at the most.

WhoFan

Re: C30 oddity

The reverb tank in the C30 is really small and not damped in any way. It is very sensitibe and doesn't sound that great. Thats more or less why it should only be on 2.

The chassis buzzing is normal for that amp. It can't handle much low end. If you're up for it, take the chassis out and run a bunch of weather stripping foam around the edges that touch the cabinet. This will calm those shakes down a lot...

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by msawitzke
      The reverb tank in the C30 is really small and not damped in any way. It is very sensitibe and doesn't sound that great. Thats more or less why it should only be on 2.

The chassis buzzing is normal for that amp. It can't handle much low end. If you're up for it, take the chassis out and run a bunch of weather stripping foam around the edges that touch the cabinet. This will calm those shakes down a lot...

Mike
      I may try this weather stripping idea.... I also had the idea to remove the amp guts and make a head out of it! that way it has no vibrations as i can seperate the amp and speaker cab... Mind you reverb would not work at all..... For now, to quiet down the Reverb i have been wondering if i stuck a piece of foam under the bag the reverb is in may quiet it down a good bit.... Also part of me wonders if the vibration noises i'm hearing is the reverb springs?
      Last edited by WhoFan; 03-19-2006, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Usually the springs bounce around like crazy in the car for most amps. The only amp I own that doesn't do it is my Mesa because they have the pan encased in a heavy foam bag that really absords a lot of vibration. I like the idea of a Classic 30 head!

Comment

Originally posted by msawitzke
          Usually the springs bounce around like crazy in the car for most amps. The only amp I own that doesn't do it is my Mesa because they have the pan encased in a heavy foam bag that really absords a lot of vibration. I like the idea of a Classic 30 head!
          Since i already have a matching Classic 1x12 ext cab i was thinking if i remove the chassy from the combo and use it as a head only with the ext cab and save the combo shell and speaker for resale that this could be a way around some of the trouble i'm having with it... but first i'm going to try and solve as much of it i can without modding much....

Comment

Working...
          X