X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey ValveKing 112

Guys,

Just had me a play on one of these new Peaveys:

I really wanted to compare it with the latest version of the Bandit 112, but there wasn't one in the shop... BUT this is a great little amplifier! Loads of different tone settings (most of 'em good, which is novel!) loads of power from a compact package and over-all great value. MEAN blues lead tone!!

Check it out if you're in the market for that sort of thing; it won't break the bank and it looks pretty funky too!

EW

Re: Peavey ValveKing 112

I heard its good. Not much gain compared to a 5150 tho, but thats not what its designed for.
    PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
    DAW: Nuendo
    Noise: 5150
    Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Comment

I had one for a while. Decent amps.

Rock On ~ Kac
      ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
      2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
      Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

I got to hear one the other day. Sounded like a pretty good, entry level tube amp. With them being made in China I worry about the reliability, but it seemed pretty solid.

I heard it while a buddy of mine was out looking for a new amp. He tried that and a couple of Line6 amps. I was much more impressed with the ValveKing.
        It's hard to be metal in girl pants.

My Gear

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonMIA
          With them being made in China I worry about the reliability, but it seemed pretty solid.
          Peavey are generally pretty reliable... I might well buy a ValveKing but I'd really like to try the current Bandit first; trannies are more reliable, have more poke and cost less...

EW

Comment

I havn't heard one, but I have read all good feedback on them. The China thing does bother me, but I will go out on a limb and say the chinese are making better stuff than they used to. Those amps are pretty affordable, too.

'79 Ibanez Iceman JB/Jazz
            '83 Washburn V Invader/SD
            '05 Fender Tele A2P
            '07 ESP Viper 1000 EMG 81/85
            '08 Warmoth Iceman PG/A2P
            Dr Z Stangray Head
            Peavey 6505+/Genz Benz 212
            Peavey VTM 120 8x12
            Peavey Triumph PAG60

Comment

Really can't beat the price. I think that tube combo even kills other tube combos at the $500 range. Such as the Fender Hot Rod, Then again, two different beasts.
              Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
              Ibanez RG1570 Custom
              PRS McCarty STD
              '71 Gibson SG Custom
              Bogner Alchemist 2x12
              Vox AD15VT

Comment

Not a bad amp at all, in fact I've got Kac's VK 112. The speaker is crap and must be changed, I put one of my Vintage 30's in. Tubes are ok, Sovtek 6l6wxt's and EH12ax7's. I've swapped the 6l6 for TAD 6l6 longbottles to warm it up a bit. It may say that it's a 50 watter, but it's a very weak 50, more like 35 to 40 really. Here's a short clip that I did a couple of weeks ago.
                https://forum.seymourduncan.com/showthread.php?t=66344

All in all, a lot of amp for the price.
                '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

I was pretty amazed Peavey put out an all tube amp for $399 street price.

I imagine it's the absolute minimum inside; basic functionality, cheap output transformer etc. Still it puts tube tone in the hands of low-budget guitarists.

Comment

Originally posted by Koreldyre
                    I imagine it's the absolute minimum inside; basic functionality, cheap output transformer etc
                    It's a long time since I've been out shopping for an amp, but looking around the other day at amps in the ValveKing price bracket, the cheapest and nastiest aspect of all, in every case, is the quality of the cabinets. My ancient Bandit 112 is built like a tank by comparison.

EW

Comment

I tried the Valveking head, i found it had as much gain as a 5150, i thought it was amazing, giving the price and the fact that its so versatile..

its a KILLER metal amp.. i loved it.
                      Cornford Hellcat
                      Peavey 5150 - Marshall 1960A cab

Ibanez 1994 Jem7VWH - Stock
                      Fender Strat - Fullshred/Duckbucker/lil59
                      Fender Strat - Jb Jr bridge + 2x Fender Single coils
                      Fender 1976 Precision Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

Comment

Originally posted by BigBazz
                        i loved it.
                        Me too, but I want to try to find out how it compares with the Bandit 112 before I get me wallet out...

Comment

I have hear pretty good things about these on another forum.

Funny thing about the peavey's there is a guy at a local "botique" guitar shop, he is of high compitence and a good player and he is always telling me to just get a peavey delta blues and these guys sell bogner, geronimo, dr z etc etc.... go figure
                          "...Strange brew -- kill what's inside of you..."

Comment

The bandit isnt in the same league, theres no comparison, the way i see it the valveking is the the best low budget amp on the market at the moment, the fact that it manages to be versatile in different styles is awesome, the class A thing is pretty cool (though i doubt id use), in my opinion this amp is very much a cheaply made 5150 with a better clean channel and more versitality, its a monster metal amp as well as being a great rock amp that covers blues, what makes me think is that a lot of people played this amp and said they thought it a good rock amp, others saying that it had nice blues tones, and myself i just thought "wow, an awesome metal amp for £300, amazing".(but i have only tried the head)

The valveking sounded better to me than the JSX that was sitting underneath it in the shop.

Anyway, buy it.
                            Cornford Hellcat
                            Peavey 5150 - Marshall 1960A cab

Ibanez 1994 Jem7VWH - Stock
                            Fender Strat - Fullshred/Duckbucker/lil59
                            Fender Strat - Jb Jr bridge + 2x Fender Single coils
                            Fender 1976 Precision Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

Comment

Working...
                            X