Analog or Digital Delay??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analog or Digital Delay??

i want to get a nice delay unit to put in my VHT Pitbulls loop.

what would color the tone less, Analog or Digital??

any recommendations?

i know that putting anything in the signal will effect the tone but i like a bit of a wet setup. Would a Boss DD3 do a good job you think or will it thin out the sound, being digital and all?

Please something a bit affordable too!
    Ibanez Roadstar II
    EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
    VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Re: Analog or Digital Delay??

I have the DD3 and like it very much.

I haven't really compared it to an analog type delay pedal, so I can't say this is better than the others. Try it and see if it is for you...
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

I've had and used my DD-3 exclusively for the last 12 years.
      Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

Digital delays can be too crisp and bright a sound for some people since they (ideally) perfectly reproduce the sound being delayed. The older digital delays used to run conversion after conversion after conversion on the sound as it was being delayed, so if you set it for infinite repeats you would hear degredation of the delayed sound (after 4-5 seconds of delay at equal volume to the original signal).
        The analog delays are usually less perfect a reproduction, rolling off the highs of your signal with each delay. The up side is that they sound warmer, the downside is that they are less accurate, and you often need to use more delay to get the desired effect . . . which can lead to mushy confusing sound. It really is just a matter of personal preference . . . I use a boss ps-3 pitch shifter/delay which is the same as a DD-3 and I like it. . .
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

yeah i guess just like anything i have to try a bunch of stuff out.

i wont know untlil i try.

My pitbull is already warm sounding. i just dont want it to make the sound too harsh or anything. i just want to wet it a bit. give it that rock stadium vibe i guess. i guess that is what i like about delay. Makes the sound a bit bigger than life.
          then again i do like the down to earth blues sound with nothing in it as well sometimes.
          Ibanez Roadstar II
          EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
          VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

Boss DD2

I own several analog delay but mostly use the DD2
            "knowledge speaks,wisdom listens" Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Digital for clarity, analog for ambience.

If you're going after that rock stadium vibe, you'd probably be happer with digital. Particularly if you're using alot of gain.

Keep that last sentence in mind as you try them out in a store.....analog will tend to get quite muddy.
              || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I got a chance to play an old Electro Harmonix Memory Man and it sounded really bad-ass! Very clean and incredible warm. It is a little noisy though. I dont think you can get as long of a delay with an analog unit compared to a digital unit and of course the tape ones. A digital delay can also work as a noise gate sort of thing. David Gimour and other guitarists just put a digital delay pedal after some boutique style pedals (figure some noisy fuzzes and such) and the delay cleans it up a bit.
                - BlueBurst Campellone Standard CSTM (Kent Armstrong Johnny Smith Mini HB n)
                - Pelham Blue Gibson DG-335 (Antiquity n/'78 b)
                - Goldtop Gibson R7 (Antiquity HBs)
                - Teal Green Metallic Fender '56 NOS Strat (Antiquity Surfers n&m/Antiquity Texas Hot Custom b)
                - Tungsten Buckwheat
                - Fender '57 Tweed Twin-Amp
                - Vintage Sound Amps VS112P (Princeton Reverb clone)
                - Henriksen JazzAmp 110

Comment

I just snatched up an Ibanez DE7. Really great sounding unit and a huge bargain. Really warm lush delay with perfect taper. I set it to echo vs digi delay, but both sound great. Ibanez has some cool sound samples on their site.
                  ]
                  FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

I have a Digitech Digital and its lovely, it does a pretty decent model of a tape delay but i generally dont use that sound as much as the "set the time" basic delay sounds built in, anyway its really nice and pretty versatile.
                    Cornford Hellcat
                    Peavey 5150 - Marshall 1960A cab

Ibanez 1994 Jem7VWH - Stock
                    Fender Strat - Fullshred/Duckbucker/lil59
                    Fender Strat - Jb Jr bridge + 2x Fender Single coils
                    Fender 1976 Precision Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

Comment

wat about digital / analog T.REX Replica type stuff
                      Listen to the edges(U2) early stuff (GREAT DELAY) thats a EH Memory man.
                      Gondola Kid
                      Bandcamp
                      Facebook
                      JimijaymesGuitarist
                      Youtube

Comment

They both have their tonal purposes. Go listen to a DD-3 (Love it) and a new Ibanez AD-9. There are some newer deays that offer "analog" switches if you feel you need both. I think for shorter "fatten the sound" delays, digital does well for the price. If you are going for medium and loud repeats I like analog. For really long it's your call. Digital gets a mor pritine sound and maintains highs better, analog gets a more organic decay.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                          Digital for clarity, analog for ambience.
                          This is my opinion in a nutshell. screamingdaisy's post absolutely nailed it. I had an analog delay and it was sweet, but with too much going on, it simply mushed out. With the type of stuff I do, I actually like the "more sterile" digital delays, they're simply clearer and more pronounced.
                          Originally posted by kevlar3000
                          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                          Originally posted by Zerberus
                          Better is often the enemy of good
                          Originally posted by ginormous
                          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

i use a line6 dl4 that i love- it can clone a lot of vintage delays, sound as crisp or clean as you want, be used as a chorus, autowah, overdrive, be used in true- or non -true bypass (I use *non* so the delays trail off), tap tempo and 28 seconds of looping time.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                            X