No announcement yet.

KT66 tubes for Zeppelin and Hard Rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KT66 tubes for Zeppelin and Hard Rock?

I think KT66's are gorgeous and have a sweet top. So much glass. HOWEVER, if you like Live Zep, Hendrix, or Cream - the formula is simple - CRANKED PLEXIs with EL34s and a Pedal or 2. Nothing is nastier.
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

If you want to kow what KT66 equipped, tube rectified JTM45's and 45/100's can do with traditional guitars plugged straight in, listen to any and all AC/DC discs. Angus records his solos in the studio using a 45 and both brothers use 45's and 100's for the rythym tracks........nuf said.
      '05 '59 Les Paul RI, WCR Goodwoods
      '06 '58 Les Paul VOS, WCR Fillmores
      '04 '57 Les Paul RI, WCR Moore/Green
      '98 '54 Les Paul Custom RI, SD CS P90/A5
      '01 Firebird V
      '06 '51 Nocaster Relic, SD CS Broadcaster
      '94 40th Ann '54 Strat RI, Antiquities
      '96 '62 Strat RI, Fralin Blues Specials
      '05 '52 Tele RI, Fralin Blues Specials
      '94 Mexican Tele, Broadcaster/Vintage
      '04 Martin HD28V
      '66 Vibrolux Reverb
      Fender CS '57 Twin RI
      Marshall 1987x RI
      Soultone 18w
      Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

I recall reading an in depth article a few years ago were they were rejuvinating AC/DC's old Marshalls. Both the 100 watt models and Angus's 45 still had the original, but tired KT66, tubes aboard. They scoured up some NOS KT66's, some NOS mullard ECC83's, rebiased, and viola: the amps were killer again!

Comment

Originally posted by jdm61
          If you want to kow what KT66 equipped, tube rectified JTM45's and 45/100's can do with traditional guitars plugged straight in, listen to any and all AC/DC discs. Angus records his solos in the studio using a 45 and both brothers use 45's and 100's for the rythym tracks........nuf said.
          I really like the tone Angus gets on all the studio albums, great stuff. If thats a JTM-45 I think I should be fine. Now the only problem other then the money for the amp...is money for new KT66 tubes if they ever die on me! Those things, even the new Tung Sol reissues are really expensive as far as tubes go!

And on a lot of Jimi's live albums, the clean tone he gets doesn't sound at all like a Marshall plexi, it sounds more like a Fender amp. So I'm guessing he has either 6550 tubes (What I heard he used) or KT66 tubes in his amps. The new Marshall Jimi Hendrix Full Stack also uses KT66 tubes. But I do agree, EL34s would get me the best Cream and Zeppelin sounds. But if I can get in the ballpark and still get some good clean tones, I'll be a happy guitarist.
          The G.B. Kirch Band on Facebook!
          And Here on Bandcamp!
          Crankin' a Gibson Les Paul and a Fender Strat into a Crate V32, in an attempt to deafen those who don't enjoy good ol' fashioned blues and rock n' roll

Comment

Working...
          X