banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Perfect Tube for the perfect sound in my AVT150h?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Perfect Tube for the perfect sound in my AVT150h?

Hey!

I'm playing on a Jackson Warrior WRXT and I got a Marshall AVT150H head with a Fender RocPro 4x12 300watts cab (Ge-412) but I can't get a Tigh-Clear-Killer Heavily Distorted sound even with my Digitech DeathMetal pedal...

As you can see, I play Speed/Death Metal music. I never play on clean channel. But my amp isn't made for this kind of music I think... It's doesn't sound clear at High volume, it sounds too much bassy :S So I bought a DeathMetal pedal, it helped my sound alot but not enough; it still not as clean as I want.

I'm thinking about switching my stock Detonator bridge pick-up in my Jackson for a FullShred one (wich has more treble, less bass and less mid and I already own it) I hope It would help to clear my sound a little bit.

But now, after many websearch, I saw inside my Amp a Preamp Tube (It's an ECC83 (a.k.a.12AX7) wich is almost 5years old now...). I think it's time to change this too no?! I checked many tubes and the ones that kept my attention are :
    Sovtek: 12AX7LPS (Great for Distortion no?!)
    Groove Tube: GT-ECC83-S (is it the same has I have?!?!)

Ok here's my question: Should I replace the Tube and if so, what Tube should I get?!

Thank you!! And if you have any other Ideas to help me get a better sound let me know!!!

Re: What's the Perfect Tube for the perfect sound in my AVT150h?

umm I dont believe replacing the tube will do much. I dont know much about the hybrids but I am pretty sure the tube will pretty much last forever.
    Fender and Squier Guitars, Crate Amps and Seymour Duncan Pickups.

Comment

Well I know that those tube doesn't really need to be replaced, but My amp was made in 2001... And the sound isn't what I want. I thought changing tube would change something somewhere ... But I'm not sure, that's why I'm posting before doing anything wrong loll

Comment

You could try changing tubes and id even suggest a JJ ECC83S graded for high gain...but like someone else said i dont think it will do much at all.

I rekon you should sell both the head and the pedal and get yourself a half decent valve head, im sure there are some affordable options around.
        My Soundclick page.

Comment

Putting the Full Shred in will probably help a lot with getting the sound tight and clear.
          Changing the preamp tube will probably not do too much but if you want a tight/edgy/clear high gain pre tube get a Electro Harmonix 12AX7 EH, those are great. The JJ ECC83S is also a great tube but a bit darker and warmer sounding so it might not be fitting for you if the amp is already bassy now. pre tubes don't burn out AKAIK so that shouldn't be a problem.
          At last imo you should get rid of the digitech and replace it with something real. This thing sucks and just doesn't have the power and tightness you'd want for death or speed metal. Changing the amp itself is also a good possibility but of course a tube head will be expensive.
          - 03 B.C. Rich Custom Shop Stealth EMG 81(n)/89(m)/60(n)
          - 04 Malmsteen Sig. Strat DMZ HS-3(b)/YJM(m)/YJM(n)
          - 05 Line 6 Variax 700
          - 08 Schecter C-7 Hellraiser Blackout N/B
          - 04 B.C. Rich NJ beast(Speedloader) SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
          - 99 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
          - Clarity(by Johnson) Ovation Copy
          - Takamine acoustic(not sure abut year and model)
          -Engl Sovereign 100 Vintage 1x12 Combo + Engl Pro 4x12 (V30s)

Comment

it's not that I don't want to sell my amp, it's that none is buying it ... The Digitech sucks? Imo it sounds Fuc***g killer!!

If only I had money too ... I would buy a 5150 and a Duncan Distortion pick-up... but I wasted everything by buying my guitar, my amp and my pedal.... Anyway, thanks for the infos, I'll continue trying to sell my amp :P

Comment

Originally posted by Loserchief
              Putting the Full Shred in will probably help a lot with getting the sound tight and clear.
              I'd have to agree here. It's a brighter pickup, and the bass/mids are lowered, but since your amp is bass heavy, it'll give the low end back, while the FS will remain tight and articulate, and still have balls.

Comment

I own an avt150 (combo, but i have a marshall 4x12), its a decent amp but its not going to do the death metal thing very well, i also own a full shred equiped guitar (bridge pickup) and i own a peavey 5150.

Changing the pickup will not help much, if at all, the avt150 are good at clean and decent for rock and it can do metal but it just isnt tight, the top end can be shrill, the mids can be weak and the bottom end can be flabby.

The same guitar with the 5150 sound amazing.., id say save for a 5150 or live with your marshall.
                Cornford Hellcat
                Peavey 5150 - Marshall 1960A cab

Ibanez 1994 Jem7VWH - Stock
                Fender Strat - Fullshred/Duckbucker/lil59
                Fender Strat - Jb Jr bridge + 2x Fender Single coils
                Fender 1976 Precision Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

Comment

Working...
                X