Fender Devilles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Devilles

besides the fact that the hot rod deville has a "more drive" switch, the reverb isn't switchable, and it has a different look, what are the differences between the Hot Rod Deville and the Blues Deville?.. any facts or opinions (especially first-hand) are much appreciated.. and does the Bassman LTD blow both of those out of the water for not much extra $$$?

Re: Fender Devilles

anybody played one of these things?

Comment

Yeah. I like the Blues Devilles more than the Hotrod Devilles, because the overall tone is slightly better, plus the higher OD on the Hotrod is worthless IMO.
      Actually, the OD channel is misunderstood on all the Devilles. It's NOT a highgain channel that should be turned up high. Ideally, it should be set just a step above the clean channel, as a sort of boost.......not a singing gain channel.
      Also, notice that the original 90's Blues Devilles are finally getting the respect they deserve, as the prices have gone up on used ones.

I've had the Bassman LTD, 4-10 Blues Deville, and a 4-10 AND 2-12 Hotrod Deville. The Bassman is a much better made amp with a beefier clean tone, but the Blues Devilles give it a run for the money because they also have reverb and the additional channel. I liked the 2-12 versions of the Devilles more than the 4-10 because they sound bolder with less honk.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I have a heavy hitting drummer so I think I'm gonna go with the 410s so I'll be pushing more air.. plus I've heard they won't break up us much as the twelves which is desired since I'm using it as a CLEAN amp only.. I get your point about the second channel in the devilles, if it were really a separate high gain channel rather than a boost there'd be a separate EQ IMO.. another Q, would the bassman LTD have more clean headroom?

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
          Also, notice that the original 90's Blues Devilles are finally getting the respect they deserve, as the prices have gone up on used ones.

Guess I shouldn't have tossed the two defunct BDV carcasses I had in the dumpster...

Comment

The Bassman LTD has a nice natural drive and compression, really sweet glassy top AND YOU CAN BRIDGE THE CHANNELS.

You will find a Fulltone FullDrive 2 or OCD (or many other pedals) through a Bassman better than the drive channel on the Deville's.

Gearjoneser is right - though I will say, with some verb and the gain a bit below half with the moredrive on tap - you can get a nice brown tone and the joy of channels.

The FX loop isn't much.

I prefer those amps WITH Jensens over the harsh eminence models. The Jensens make them sweet and throaty. Great clean amps. See the blues model as a warmer, fatter Hot Rod.

As awesome as 4x10s are, I always prefer the meaner lows of 2x12's.
            1973 Les Paul Standard
            1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

you can actually get more volume out of the 2x12, especially if you swap the speakers

that said, i think the bassman is still a much better amp
              Originally posted by gibson175
              metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

[QUOTE=rainsong86]I have a heavy hitting drummer so I think I'm gonna go with the 410s so I'll be pushing more air.. QUOTE]

If you want to push lots of air and be cleaner than hell, get the 2x12 combo and swap in a pair of EVM 12L's. Get a good chiropractor too.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I've found that the 12's handle the volume better on those amps.....especially with humbuckers. 10's just fart out when the amp is competing with a drummer.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I'm looking to keep the stock speakers.. which are better.. the Jensens or the eminences?.. and I've never gotten to play 4 10's very loud (except on bass ha ha) but do they fart out even for sparkling clean settings?

Comment

Working...
                    X