X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Effects Loops

This is about placement of stomp boxes in my effects loop

My amp (Hartke GT60) has an effects send/return loop built in... it says

In-line effects (such as foot pedals) intended for low signal levels should be placed between your guitar and the front panel GT SERIES amplifier input and not connected with the rear panel Effects Loop jacks.

Later it talks about "professional external signal processor that has Line-level inputs and outputs" being put into the Effects Loop.

As I read this, ALL my stomp boxes should be ahead of the input and not in the effects loop. I guess my confusion stems from not being sure about what they mean by "low signal level".

Is this how you all set up your effects? In my old Crate I set them all into the effects loop - I guess that was wrong? Are there some effects that are better ahead of the input and some better in the effects loop?

Sorry for sounding stupid here - but I can't help it...
    Rick
    (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
    Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Re: About Effects Loops

It's not wrong if you think it sounds good. I'd very surprised if you could damage the amp or pedals in any way by putting them in that effects loop.

Effects like delay, reverb and some modulation effects (for a more upfront sound) should go in your effects loop.
    Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
    Marshall Mods

Comment

Originally posted by shredaholic
      It's not wrong if you think it sounds good. I'd very surprised if you could damage the amp or pedals in any way by putting them in that effects loop.

Effects like delay, reverb and some modulation effects (for a more upfront sound) should go in your effects loop.
      That's kind of what I was thinking...

I currently have
      -compressor
      -wah
      -distortion
      -fuzz
      -phaser

Of those, I was thinking the phaser might be good in the loop.
      But what is the difference? I mean, other than stringing two extra cables to my pedal board. Am I gaining anything by putting it in the effects loop?
      Rick

Comment

Everything you have there is fine out front. Try the phaser in the loop and see if you like it there. If not, leave it out front. I personally like phasers out front, distorted pre-amp or not. Chorus, Flanger, Delay, Reverb....all in the loop.

Comment

It is because the effects loop (on that amp) is for rack effects (different levels line instead of instrument)
          Some amps have switches so u can use either stompboxes or rack effects on the loop.
          Gondola Kid
          Bandcamp
          Facebook
          JimijaymesGuitarist
          Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by James Rock
            It is because the effects loop (on that amp) is for rack effects (different levels line instead of instrument)
            Some amps have switches so u can use either stompboxes or rack effects on the loop.
            Okay... that's good to know... so it sounds like stompboxes wouldn't work as well in this situation.
            Rick

Comment

Not necessarily - I run my analog delay (floor pedal) through my Plexi's effects loop on the line setting and it sounds better (clearer).
              Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
              Marshall Mods

Comment

Originally posted by shredaholic
                Not necessarily - I run my analog delay (floor pedal) through my Plexi's effects loop on the line setting and it sounds better (clearer).
                Ditto

i hate the sound of a delay infront of the amp.
                At least thats been my experience with my Line6 DL4 and DSL50.
                The reason the Delay usually sounds better in the loop is because( at least when you are using overdrive ) is because if you have the Delay infron tof the amp, you amp is distorting a delay, So the trail-offs from the delay will not just sound less loud, but they will also have less gain(since there is less of that particular signal going into the preamp tube).
                The other way around(The Delay in the Loop), you are delaying a Distorted sound, so the trail-offs will all have the same intensity of gain and no changes in tone etc..
                Marshall JVM 410C
                Mesa Boogie DC-3
                ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

I have always run pretty much everything through the loop except distortion or overdrive pedals, which I believe sound pretty bad looped. I have used a 7 band eq pedal for years, in front, and it pushes the preamp nicely, but totally changes the sound when put in the loop. It's guitar - Dunlop crybaby - Ibanez eq - amp. Through the loop it's TCelectronic gmajor-BBE Sonic maximizer. The more stuff in the signal chain going into the amp's input, the more noise, etc. The loop makes for a nice, clean quiet patch.

'79 Ibanez Iceman JB/Jazz
                  '83 Washburn V Invader/SD
                  '05 Fender Tele A2P
                  '07 ESP Viper 1000 EMG 81/85
                  '08 Warmoth Iceman PG/A2P
                  Dr Z Stangray Head
                  Peavey 6505+/Genz Benz 212
                  Peavey VTM 120 8x12
                  Peavey Triumph PAG60

Comment

Originally posted by y2stevo
                    Ditto

i hate the sound of a delay infront of the amp.
                    At least thats been my experience with my Line6 DL4 and DSL50.
                    The reason the Delay usually sounds better in the loop is because( at least when you are using overdrive ) is because if you have the Delay infron tof the amp, you amp is distorting a delay, So the trail-offs from the delay will not just sound less loud, but they will also have less gain(since there is less of that particular signal going into the preamp tube).
                    The other way around(The Delay in the Loop), you are delaying a Distorted sound, so the trail-offs will all have the same intensity of gain and no changes in tone etc..
                    Thats a very good point sir
                    My Soundclick page.

Comment

Working...
                    X