New 6l6s for Twin Reverb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 6l6s for Twin Reverb?

hey guys, i'm interesting in seeing what your opinions are on some of the better production 6l6s out there nowadays? Me and my dad may end up going with some decent NOS ones, but most likely some new production ones, for our fix up of our old silverface Twin Reverb.

Since a twin is a very clean amp, i'm not too interested in the highest headroom 6l6s out there, if they even vary in headroom by very much? (dont really know).

some opinions would be appreciated
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Re: New 6l6s for Twin Reverb?

I would go with the T.A.D. short bottles. Next choise would be J.J's.
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Both of the TAD tubes are nice the JJ's are good from what I hear and I also really like the Sovtek 6L6WXT's
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

I Like the small bottle TAD tubes myself....I had a set in my BF Pro Reverb,but I went back to the RCA Black Plates that I pulled out for these TADs and still like the RCAs better....We just bought a quad of small bottle TADs for my buddie's modded Yamaha/Soldano 100 watt head and they are great...Nice tubes for not alot of money...
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

how about the tall TAD 6l6s?

>cord<
          1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by flank
            how about the tall TAD 6l6s?
            Their good tubes as well...I have a set on my Mission Amps Super right now...tighter bass and slightly more highs that the short bottle...the short bottle TAD is more like a 50's 5881.

The Taller TADs woiudl be great in your Twin
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
              Their good tubes as well...I have a set on my Mission Amps Super right now...tighter bass and slightly more highs that the short bottle...the short bottle TAD is more like a 50's 5881.

The Taller TADs woiudl be great in your Twin
              see, the feeling i get from those short bottle TAD tubes is that guys use them in lower wattage fenders to get more overdrive at a bit more reasonable volumes? I want to run my Twin with a warm clean sound. I don't want a cold or sterile tone, but i'm not looking for overdrive.....cause for 1, it would be frickin loud to overdrive this twin (as you may know tgwif ), and 2, i don't even particularly like the breakup of a high powered fender amp like mine twin. I just want a warm clean tone thats got that good clarity and even-ness to the sound

>cord<
              1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Ok,guys......what are TAD tubes? And what would work best in a tweed Twin RI? Scott said that those GE repros that come with it are pretty good. Wouild you guys leave it with 12ax7's or go with the original type tubes?
                '05 '59 Les Paul RI, WCR Goodwoods
                '06 '58 Les Paul VOS, WCR Fillmores
                '04 '57 Les Paul RI, WCR Moore/Green
                '98 '54 Les Paul Custom RI, SD CS P90/A5
                '01 Firebird V
                '06 '51 Nocaster Relic, SD CS Broadcaster
                '94 40th Ann '54 Strat RI, Antiquities
                '96 '62 Strat RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                '05 '52 Tele RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                '94 Mexican Tele, Broadcaster/Vintage
                '04 Martin HD28V
                '66 Vibrolux Reverb
                Fender CS '57 Twin RI
                Marshall 1987x RI
                Soultone 18w
                Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

I'm using the Winged C/SED 6L6s in a couple of my Mesa amps and I like these a lot.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

TAD (Tube Amp Doctor),,, dude out of germany I think. He specs out and designs histubes and I think they're made in China.

Small bottle 6L6wgb are pretty similar to 5881's as someone earlier alluded to.

I'd try a set of the big bottles TAD's in that Twin. I also recently got a pair of winged C that sounded pretty good as well.

The 6L6 GE from Groove Tubes are expensive, but they're pretty darm sweet as well.

Good luck, too many choices.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Thanks Scott. The GT GE's in the amp will be less than a year old, so I will work with them initially. What would your opinion be a regarding the preamp tubes? I have ben told that you can replace 3 of the 4 12AX7'a with the original spec tubes (12AU or AT7...can't remember) for a more vintage correct setup....opinions?
                      '01 Firebird V
                      '04 Martin HD28V
                      '66 Vibrolux Reverb
                      Fender CS '57 Twin RI
                      Marshall 1987x RI
                      Soultone 18w
                      Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

Re the '57 Twin: The original preamp compliment in a 5E8A Twin is 12AY7 in V1, V2. V3, 12AX7 in V4. The 12AY7 will get you a cleaner, sweeter tone with slightly less volume overall, more like the old school tweeds. BTW, this is one of the first Fender amps with a dedicated triode to each 'channel', so you can try a 12AY7 in one and a 12AX7 in another for different tones...5751 (mu less than AX7, greater than AY7) or 12AU7 (lower mu than 12AY7) also works well in these for more variations in tone, but I never really liked the sound of 12AT7 in this position---maybe just haven't tried the right tube yet.

Comment

well, turns out my dad had 7 RCA 6l6GC's layin around downstairs, but i don't know how much they've been used. We'll have to take them to our tech to see whats up with them, but those could be a solution to some tubes for it
                          Last edited by flank; 03-24-2006, 07:04 PM.

>cord<
                          1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

i have 3 Mullard 4003's tat came out of my stereo preamp..the 4th was making some microphonic noises....can't remember if those are AT's or AU's..i know the 4004 is the AX. Just wondering how those would sound. I have 2 of the monster Mullard AX's so far for the handwired conversion of the Plexi.
                            '01 Firebird V
                            '04 Martin HD28V
                            '66 Vibrolux Reverb