banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's official - just got the Marshall 6100 (30th anniv. model)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official - just got the Marshall 6100 (30th anniv. model)

All I can say is WOW WOW WOW!

God lord. I had a choice between this and the Silver Jubilee 2553 (50w model). This just did it all - I was blown.

A true clean channel, a JTM 45 sound, a great rip off Plexi sound (and I have heard it against my Plexi), and the perfect hot rod sound on channel 3. The Hot Rod sound has a nice feature called countour if you want a modern nu-metal sound (hey, it's there), and a Gain boost.

It's very easy to set. You get all the classic tones - esp the 800 series tones.

The Plexi sound is amazing considering it doesn't have 2 bridged channels. hell, I prefer it in that it has Master Volume and I don't need all my tricks like a Variac, etc.

I must say NOTHING sonds like a Marshall - nothing. It doesn't have the crushing low end and huge boutique sounding gain of the Framus, but it sounds like a real deal, bona fide Marshall.

I will say, the jube sounded a tad warmer to me, but it was also a 50w going thru a vintage cab, versus the 6100 thru Soldano/Eminence 2x12 and a Mesa 2x12 (v30s). Of course I think the Mesa sounded best for rock.

Hmmm now I have to sell a bunch of stuff.
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Re: It's official - just got the Marshall 6100 (30th anniv. model)

Did you buy the one I saw on Craigslist L.A.? Is yours the 6L6 or EL-34 version? It sounds like the type of amp that'd fit your style. I'd probably sell off everything but your 30th Ann, 73 JMP, and maybe the Framus. It's all fun and games till someone goes deaf. LOL
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Congrats!

I always liked these amps...especially the little combo...I remember feeling they were a little smoother than a Jubilee (?)

But good lord what alot of flexibility and options in such a teeny package.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Those amps never really got the praise they deserved If I were to buy one Marshall, that would probably be it
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

great amp !! i had a black one from the first year when they still used el-34's and it was a cool head. they do have a history of switching problems but other than that they do it all marshall.
          Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
          Suhr OD-50
          Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

Did you get the hand made one with the gold logo and everything or the production model? I've never heard either, but the production model gets a bad rap. Unfair?
            My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
            or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
            http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
            700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Yes, it is the one of Craig's, Joe. It plays gorgeous. A couple of tears in the tolex which I want to glue down.

FUNNY THING - the Channel 2 LED went out not long after I got home. Irked me. Wondered if I should ask for more of a discount than I got on the amp. I dunno - ANY ADVICE?

On the flip side - I bought it regardless that I was on a Jubilee search. I trust my girl's ear more than most people, no lie. She always nails what good tone is on a blind test. She actually liked the 6100 more than the Jubilee 2553.

I feel it totally gets into the Jube territory - but remember this is ALL TUBE. The midi will be of value to me. I do fear reliability and switching issues. I know people who have a great experience with these, i hear strange reviews. Guitar Center Hollywood had TWO which were always broken.

I think the thing I like most is that with Reverb on the FX loop, the clean is pretty damn gorgeous, it has power down to 25w - I like it full out. The amazing design, is they have buttons to compensate for single coils or HBs should you want. THE BEST PART is a button that compensates for low volume to take out the fizz when you play low. This works without reducing power settings.

My girl actually put cash with me for this, that's how good she thought it was. We both cannot stand TSLs (I do think DSLs sound better). Trust me, I will have to sell a ton of stuff to keep this - obviously I saw something a little extra special.

I generally prefer 100w amps BTW - I feel they sound bigger and nastier in overall.

Among Marshalls I must say only the SLP100 sounds better - and by this I mean a 68 plexi (with real plexiglas) I played once which I am only using my memory to comment on.

So all in all, yes, this is the most versatile, usable Marshall. It can play most any style from blues to metal and country - no lie. It sounds almost NOTHING like the 900, IMHO. I totally hear clean thru hot rodded 800.

The only thing I wish Marshall would INVENT is something like the RIVERA NINJA BOOST. I love the NINJA. It gives you that option of getting the clean channel into a slightly louder, more bluesy grind on the fly.

This is the EL34, standard model.
              1973 Les Paul Standard
              1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Congrats man, I want pics!
                TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

i want that!!!
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X