speakon cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speakon cables?

Get the guaranteed best price on Solid Body Electric Guitars like the Gibson Custom Zakk Wylde ZV Signed Electric Guitar at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

Can i plug a 1/4 speaker cable into one end of this. The reason I ask is that I will need to use the speaker in my combo and the cable is soldered to the speaker.
    Last edited by Reckless Abandon; 03-25-2006, 07:55 PM.
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Re: speakon cables?

eh..no. you'll need to buy a female-female 1/4 adaper. then run another cable. Speakons are mainly used for heavy-wattage pa systems as the connector locks in place, is virtually indestructable, and can transfer tons of power.

oh yeah, they are also hella-expensive (25ft is about $50). stick with the $6 adapter, its how i connect my combos.
    Last edited by ksmith63; 03-25-2006, 08:02 PM.
    - KEVIN

MY BAND: http://thefathom.bandcamp.com

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
    Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4
    Ibanez SR3006; Ibanez BTB1005

Originally posted by DankStar
    I'm the Betty Crocker Easy Bake OvenŽ of riffs. Ding! Another batch is done.

Comment

I am stupid. So they make speaker adaptors like that?
      thanks
      Epiphone LP Special w/JB
      Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

they are about $6. i have 2 of them so i can connect my line 6 amps together (the speaker cable is the exact length to the specific amp = 2 ft too short)
        - KEVIN

Budda Superdrive 80 II Half Stack; Mesa D-180 + Custom Emperor 2x12 Bass Cabinet
        Music Man John Petrucci (Scream'n Demon/Jazz); Ibanez S2120 (Full Shred set); Steinberger GR4

Comment

I will check the friend. I want all to be well when my amp arrives
          Epiphone LP Special w/JB
          Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Originally posted by ksmith63
            oh yeah, they are also hella-expensive (25ft is about $50). stick with the $6 adapter, its how i connect my combos.
            Speakon cables are the same as any other instrument or speaker cable- they just have the Neutrik Speakon connector on them instead of a 1/4" plug. They're solderless connectors- all you need is a screwdriver to install the connector. I don't know that the necessarily handle more power (comparing the contact area to a 1/4" plug), but the advantage is that the plug is securely fastened to what it's connecting.
            *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
            Originally posted by Slash2987
            Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
            Originally posted by PVFan
            I'm a good sex man.
            Originally posted by Grumpy
            I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Golden Boy
              Speakon cables are the same as any other instrument or speaker cable- they just have the Neutrik Speakon connector on them instead of a 1/4" plug. They're solderless connectors- all you need is a screwdriver to install the connector. I don't know that the necessarily handle more power (comparing the contact area to a 1/4" plug), but the advantage is that the plug is securely fastened to what it's connecting.

my speakon cables are 8-guage (and weigh about 40 lbs). never seen an instrument cable with wire that big......but they do make speakons that use the same wire diameter as 1/4" cables.
              - KEVIN

Comment

Originally posted by ksmith63
                my speakon cables are 8-guage (and weigh about 40 lbs). never seen an instrument cable with wire that big......but they do make speakons that use the same wire diameter as 1/4" cables.
                I think the Speakon to Speakon that came with one of my amps is around 12-14 gauge. But the idea behind the Speakon is that it's locking- you can put whatever diameter cable you desire on a 1/4" plug as well...
                *Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                Originally posted by Slash2987
                Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                Originally posted by PVFan
                I'm a good sex man.
                Originally posted by Grumpy
                I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Or you can just get the right cable in the first place so you do not need adaptors...
                  Lava Man
                  Lava Cable
                  Your One-Stop High End Custom Cable Shop

Comment

Working...
                  X