A building question (amp related)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A building question (amp related)...

I'm building my first amp. Now keep in mind, the last time I soldered something before I started working on guitars was back in 8th grade. I.e 6 years ago. I've been working on guitars for the past year but an amp is an entirely different beast. Here is my main problem so far:
    I just finished wiring the power section and I'm now grounding the other components (the amp by the way is a Madamp G2: 2W single channel all tube)
    However the wires I'm working with are single, not braided. Just a thick piece of wire. I'm trying to ground the volume control but as soon as the wire is soldered to the pot's lug, it breaks. It just always do... As soon as I touch it, it snaps. I have no idea why (it breaks just at where it starts to be stripped) and it's really annoying...I've tried it 5 times and always broke it.
    If you guys have any tips on how to work this out, it'll be welcome. I don't have anyone to show me or help me, I'm doing it all by myself and as such it's hard to do anything other than by trial and error. But right now I'm at too many trials.

Other question: Would it matter if I changed the type of wire? I have some gauge 24 braided wire that I use for my guitar work (though it's very thick) which would definitely work better for this kind of job on the amplifier. The way I see it, it'd make no difference to use this no?

Thanks guys...

Re: A building question (amp related)...

I'm in the process of wrapping up my kit as well, and I had the same issue once with the wire snapping. The issue I had on this end was I was bending the wire in order to get it into the volume pot lug and slightly overheating the wire during the solder process. When I'd try to bend the wire back, it'd snap.

Two things fixed the problem. I made the stripped lead a little bit longer (and would cut the excess off after the soldering process) and obviously was more careful not to overheat.
    PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
    PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
    GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
    Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
    Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
    various pedals

Comment

You might be stripping too much metal along with the plastic covering. Or you are using waaaay too skinny a gauge wire. Also, you might be using a waaaaay too hot solderiing iron. You don't need much heat for this stuff.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

25W.... It takes a while to heat up anything, I was thinking of using my 35W for the next jobs.
        I actually strip just enough wire for the length of the lug so I can get a nice connection. And I use the wire supplied with the amp.
        I think I'll just use my own braided wire then...

Comment

I prefer to use the cloth covered "push-back" solid core vintage style wire. It's so easy to work with. I know you're across the ocean, but if you really get into this, you might want to look into getting some of it.

Truth be told, it worries me that someone sent you an amp kit with wire that keeps breaking like that. Eitehr you're doing something way wrong, or that is like the cheapest piece of crap wire they could come up with.

I like your idea of using something you already have that sounds like it might be a bit heavier duty.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

I'll try that tomorrow then thanks. 25W is ok or too warm? And I'm not saying I'm not doing anything wrong, but I just can't pinpoint why it breaks And well the kit WAS under 100 euros, which IS cheap hehe but it's also why I got it. I'll probably go by some wire built for high voltages tomorrow so I can take all securities.

Comment

25w is just fine. Dont' go too much higher. 15w isn't enough by the way. Found that out. That wire must be like angel-hair pasta or something.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

It's actually pretty thick yeah.. I can't twist it around the lug for instance. Too thick for that. DAMN I need a digital camera now.

And I can't build those

Comment

If the wire is too thick to go through the little loop on the lug of the pot, how in the heck is it breaking? I assumed it was too thin. Can you even stick it through the hole in the lug? If so, and you just can't bend it around, just stick it through and solder it as it sits. As long as there is solder on both sides of the lug, it'll probably never come loose.

Another way you can do this is to bend the lug to the back side of the pot, solder the lug to the back of the pot and then run a long piece of wire and ground all the pot backs together. This is called a ground bus. Then ground one end of this long wire, preferably as far away from the power section of the amp as possible.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

No hole in the lug... and yes, you summed up the first part pretty good, hence why I'm totally baffled I'll just try to be more careful, but just even the little nudge on the wire breaks it.
                    The lug is also too short to go up to the back of the pot...I'll just use another wire or try to find another way I guess. I'll get better with it as I try. Thanks dude!

Comment

Working...
                    X