banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Ever Try A 5751 Or 12AT7 In Their Marshall's PI Spot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Ever Try A 5751 Or 12AT7 In Their Marshall's PI Spot?

Curious? I've read several posts on other forums where guys have used either of these tubes in the phase inverter spot to "clean up" the overall tone of their NMV Marshall heads>>>>I've not tryed this,but my amp does get pretty aggressive pretty quickly!

What were the results and was it worth trying?
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: Anyone Ever Try A 5751 Or 12AT7 In Their Marshall's PI Spot?

haven't tried a 5751, but I've tried just about every other tube out there- any PI with a lower gain, such as a 12AT7, or AY7, will give you more clean headroom before the onset of tube distortion, In other words, you can turn your master up higher. You will probably have to turn it up to get the same amount of volume that a AX would give. Give it a try, you may or may not like it. One other thing, most tubes that have less gain, will pass more current.
    " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Originally posted by marvar
      haven't tried a 5751, but I've tried just about every other tube out there- any PI with a lower gain, such as a 12AT7, or AY7, will give you more clean headroom before the onset of tube distortion, In other words, you can turn your master up higher. You will probably have to turn it up to get the same amount of volume that a AX would give. Give it a try, you may or may not like it. One other thing, most tubes that have less gain, will pass more current.
      Once you got your volume up to compensate for the lower gain AT7 though,did it change the overall tone of the amp? Or did it just sound the same,but with lots more headroom? Headroom was where I was leaning....Most of today's 12AX7s are pretty gainey!
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I do it often. I actually have a 12Au7 in one of my Traynors. That thing is a screamer. It can really give some clarity w/o neutering the nasty. . I would say I do this in 4-5 of my amps, the 68 Traynor is the only one with the 12AU7 though. It will lower amp volume a bit. Very cool stuff to mess with. I really find every tube position dramatically effects the overall 'feel' of an amp. I am always trying different combos out. I only have a couple amps with the same brand tube in all positions. The rest were just what my ear liked....

Have you messed with the neg feedback wire on different taps? You have it on the 4 ohm right??
        ]
        FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Yes, as kevlar says, it affects the 'feel' of the amp- if you are going for a more bluesy tone, give it a try- the PI isn't really a tone shaping stage, except for how hard the signal drives the power tubes.
          Most of your older Fender tube amps use a AT7 in the PI position.
          " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

I just put a 5751 in PI of my HRD. That with a 12AT7 in V2 makes the harsh O.D. channel very usable. So I imagine it would have a similar effect in a Marshall
            http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000
              I do it often. I actually have a 12Au7 in one of my Traynors. That thing is a screamer. It can really give some clarity w/o neutering the nasty. . I would say I do this in 4-5 of my amps, the 68 Traynor is the only one with the 12AU7 though. It will lower amp volume a bit. Very cool stuff to mess with. I really find every tube position dramatically effects the overall 'feel' of an amp. I am always trying different combos out. I only have a couple amps with the same brand tube in all positions. The rest were just what my ear liked....

Have you messed with the neg feedback wire on different taps? You have it on the 4 ohm right??
              I've gone back to the 220k splitter resistors(PIMV Pots now) from 100k that I had before to my output tubes and yes,I'm still 100k NFB resistor at the 4 ohm tap...Thought about trying the 8 ohm tap? Haven't though...Since I can't crank this baby up(Shame really) at our gigs,I'm having to rely on keeping the amp clean with some headroom and use pedals to get my grind...I know I need an attenuator but I have to wait until I have the $$$$$ again!

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
                I just put a 5751 in PI of my HRD. That with a 12AT7 in V2 makes the harsh O.D. channel very usable. So I imagine it would have a similar effect in a Marshall
                Cool thing about my amp....It isn't at all harsh,but I do feel it wants to break just a bit too soon into the "grind" department....The MM choke and OT did this....LOL

Comment

Iv'e done it when a Marshall type amp head is needed for bass work, but I like the AX for guitar work. I will swap in the AX in Fenders for guitar work too. Nothing wrong with earlier breakup in my book. Earlier breakup works well with single coils and vintage output pickups. I think the vintage output pickups can be more dynamic and soulful this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues
                    Iv'e done it when a Marshall type amp head is needed for bass work, but I like the AX for guitar work. I will swap in the AX in Fenders for guitar work too. Nothing wrong with earlier breakup in my book. Earlier breakup works well with single coils and vintage output pickups. I think the vintage output pickups can be more dynamic and soulful this way.
                    I Like breakup also,but I'm currently using my Marshall at lower volume levels in smaller clubs with pedals and I need the amp round and clean....Unless I get an attenuator?

Comment

Working...
                    X