Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with BOSS SD1 pedal - Battery Vs Mains Power

Hey guys.

I've been digging out alot of my old gear lately, and came across an old Made In Japan BOSS SD1 Super Overdrive that I bought years ago, but haven't used in a while.

I powered it up with a 9V mains adaptor that I had handy, and noticed that the on/off LED was quite dim when the pedal was switched on. I then tried the pedal with a 9V battery and the LED was alot brighter when the pedal was switched on.

I also tried the SD1 with a brand new Diago Powerstation Pedalboard Power Supply and the LED was still dim.

Does anyone know what the problem may be, and how I could get it repaired?

Craig

Re: Problem with BOSS SD1 pedal - Battery Vs Mains Power

The old Japanese Boss pedals Run on a 12v adapter. Which is weird considering they will also run with a 9v battery. Makes no sense, But thats what the problem is. Try a 12v addapter and I'm possitive the problem will be gone.
    www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
    I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Thanx for the post Low Fidellity.

I had this pedal on a Pedalboard powered by a 9v power supply, and never had this problem until now

Thanx for the suggestion

Comment

He's right about the 12 volt adapter thing, I remember reading that if you use one of the boss pedals that converts power (like a PSM-5, LS-2, TU-2, NS-2) and then plug the DS-1 it's been designed to give the right amount of power so that the LED isn't dim.

EDIT - You can read about it here:
        Last edited by GuitarStv; 03-29-2006, 06:41 AM.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Thanx for the info guys.

I tried running the SD1 from the 12v setting on a multi voltage power adaptor and the LED wasn't dim, so I need to remember to use it at 12v if I'm using it on it's own

Comment

Quick aside

but those pedals sound MUCH better with Eveready Classics in them

AND NO I AM NOT AN EJ WANNABE! lol
            1973 Les Paul Standard
            1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

There is definately a difference in power supplies between old Boss pedals and the new ones.

All of the new ones can be sufficiently powered by the BOSS PSA-120 adapter.

But, there are some old Boss pedals that run much better on the BOSS ACA-120 adapter...PSA-120's make the LEDs dim.

You have to check on the bottom of your SD-1. There's a chart that states if the pedal needs PSA or ACA.
              Louis XIII!!!

Comment

whoa!! wait a sec - is the power supply core-negative?

i recently had the same problem - the SD-1 will still work with the pins reversed, but it's bad news!

tom

Comment

Thanx for the posts guys.

Originally posted by Imp
                  whoa!! wait a sec - is the power supply core-negative?

i recently had the same problem - the SD-1 will still work with the pins reversed, but it's bad news!

tom
                  The power supply I'm using with the SD1 (and all my pedals) is centre negative.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X