Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GASers advice please!

Ok, here's the deal-

I started wheeling and dealing and didn't knwo where I would end up.

Originally I got a ridiculous deal on a Marshall halfstack and ended up with a 73 Marshall (handwired), original tranny's etc AND a Mojave 4x12 with G12H30s.

Then, I added another amp, did some trading and ended up with a stinking new Framus Dragon.

Some money came thru from selling gear and I ended up with a Rivera Knucklehead. Mind you, I bought the Knucklehead for the cleans, and the channel switching, feeling you cannot take a Marshall or a Dragon to country gigs, or R&B gigs - and trust me I get a bunch of those.

Then in a moment of stupidity I bought a Marshall 6100 (30th anniversary). Actually, my girl talked me into it, and loaned some money. I should marry her, huh? I got it home and I think it's one of the best amps I have ever played.

So I went from planning to have 2 amps max to four. My longer term plan had always been to have a Bogner Shiva or Ecstasy.

Frankly, I love all these amps. I am trying to get away from my - hey you are like Lenny Kravitz/Black Crowes - thing. The Framus I got sooo cheap and it does hard rock and metal with a modern-ish flavor while still being dark and fat. It sounds part Mesa, part Marshall, part Diezel, part Bogner. Very nasty honk in the midrange if you like rock and roll.

On the other hand, as far as tone - I prefer Marshalls hands down! I would sell the Rivera, maybe even the Framus, OR maybe one of my Marshalls?

Should I suffer and keep 'em all? Maybe I should still save for the Bogners, I think they are the most toneful. Here is the kicker - I have always wanted a high gain monster, and the Framus does it without being nasty in tone.

Ecstasy's seem to be getting more pricey by the day. I have given up on Boogie's for my sound.

NOT LIKE I DON'T NEED STUDIO TIME, RECORDING EQUIPMENT, NEW HEADSHOTS, A MUSIC ATTORNEY, ETC ETC ETC

They Call me "O", and I have GAS (everyone clap cry and have a group hug, I think we need an AA-type meeting)

AH, CONFUSION!'

ANY ADVICE?
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Re: GASers advice please!

You say ya like Marshall tone the best. Keep the 30th. Sell the rest and save up for the Bogner. Thats what I'd do

Well actually if it were me, I'd sell them all and buy a metalface 1987 and a JMP/JCM 2203 and get 'em modded...but I digress
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Keep the 2 Marshalls, sell the rest. Use 'em and use 'em well. Keep the '73 at home for studio work and use the 61 for gigs (ALL of them).

Comment

Sell the rest, keep the Marshall, save up for the Bogner and still keep the Marshall.
        That is what I would do.

Comment

lol that's great advice - is that everyone?
          1973 Les Paul Standard

Comment

hahah Gearjoneser said the Rivera makes him think 41 yr old session guy - we laughed really hard over here on that one.

OK OK, I am relenting - see that add for the Rivera in Craig's LA? That's me!

Happy now?

You ruined my love of Riveras! Paul will be calling you to tell you off shortly!
            1973 Les Paul Standard

Comment

Tell Paul his amps are ugly and they sound like a Carvin X100B! LOL

If I were you, I'd sell everything but the Marshall 6100, then search high and low for the matching blue 4-12 slant, so you'd have the 30th Ann blue halfstack.
              Then, buy that Shiva/2-12 rig we both saw in the recycler or a Shiva combo.
              Then you'll have two tonemonsters that look and sound killer......one for big stages, and one that looks appropriate at any venue.

Or, save money by selling off some stuff, and keeping most of your heads, then have a 4-12 and 2-12, so you can decide which cab to use with any of the heads.

It's a fun problem to have, huh?
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

wow sell of the 73?

In the studio the 73 is tops, Live it's hard to make it useful without a multi-amp rig.

Ok so how much should I sell the 73 for? It was a restoration from Plexi Palace, so Mason did it. $2k?
                Joe, I do think you have a great handle on tone and good advice!
                1973 Les Paul Standard

Comment

i will post my own thread about this later, but I would recommend to anyone to listen to the new 57 Handwired Tweed Twin. I bought mine on ebay for $1525 I had played one with the standard factory tube setup and was VERY impressed. Mine has NOS tubes of the original type that the previous owner put in and it sounds phenomenal........and i have had it above 5 (out of 12......take THAT Spinal Tap). This thing sounds like it was made for Les Pauls. Much better tone than the Plexi,and if I want more ovedrive, The guy included an NOS RCA 12AX7 in the deal......or I could stick in the Mullards that i have been saving More sag? Pop out one of the rectifier tubes. Scott was right about these Groove Tube GE 6L6 copies.....very nice tubes. It boggles the mind that such a simple old circuit can be so versatile. Out performs all of my other amps with ALL of the guitars. On the low gain normal side, The Tele sounds like i am channeling Brad Paisley...lol. check it out, friends and neighbors.
                  '05 '59 Les Paul RI, WCR Goodwoods
                  '06 '58 Les Paul VOS, WCR Fillmores
                  '04 '57 Les Paul RI, WCR Moore/Green
                  '98 '54 Les Paul Custom RI, SD CS P90/A5
                  '01 Firebird V
                  '06 '51 Nocaster Relic, SD CS Broadcaster
                  '94 40th Ann '54 Strat RI, Antiquities
                  '96 '62 Strat RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                  '05 '52 Tele RI, Fralin Blues Specials
                  '94 Mexican Tele, Broadcaster/Vintage
                  '04 Martin HD28V
                  '66 Vibrolux Reverb
                  Fender CS '57 Twin RI
                  Marshall 1987x RI
                  Soultone 18w
                  Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

Ok, I am going to ARGUE on this one

You cannot get MUCH BETTER tone than the PLEXI
                    you can get damn close or on par - but a Plexi, esp. a well tuned one, is to die for!
                    1973 Les Paul Standard

Comment

well they gap may diminish when i get the Metro handwired board and the MM transformer installed and retube the beast....lol But i will say this.....even considering my limited use, it seems that I can get more sounds out of the twin....which is counterintuitive, i know......very simple amp, old school design, no mid tone control, etc.....what can i say? i guess one factor is that Marshalls don't like doing clean all tha much and big blackface amps don't like doing dirty at volumes that won't make you sterile if played in a smaller room....lol. This thing does both and it does what i can only call a "slighty dirty clean" It moves a lot of air, but i can get a lot of differnt sounds without it being deafening. The Marshall gets dirty and LOUD real quick and has to be used with the Power Brake. Too many speaker cones, not enough square footage, i guess. Plus the twin has a couple of hundred buck with of NOS tubes in the preamp and whatI have been told are some of the best new 6L6's on the market. Unfair comparison, maybe. we'll see. The advantage the twim has is that you can buy it all day long fro $2100-2200 and you don't have to do anything to it. Handwired Tweedy Goodness as one of our fellow forumites said a while back.....lol
                      Last edited by jdm61; 03-29-2006, 10:04 PM.
                      '01 Firebird V
                      '04 Martin HD28V
                      '66 Vibrolux Reverb
                      Fender CS '57 Twin RI
                      Marshall 1987x RI
                      Soultone 18w
                      Deluxe Reverb RI

Comment

Keep the Plexi, 6100, and sell off the rest. With the extra money, buy a versatile combo.

In the 90's, I was buying/selling a lot of amps, and realized that I'd be better off if I condensed them into a few select pieces. I ended up selling Marshalls, Fenders, Blues Pearls, and Line 6 stuff, and went straight after the amps I REALLY wanted....The Ecstasy w/4-12 and 2-12, and the Matchless.
                        I have the Valvetronix because I like to play at night, and I keep the Jubilee just because of it's collectibility.

If I had to whittle it down, I'd probably have the Ecstasy w/2-12 and the Vox.
                        When I'm much older, I'll probably use whatever the best 3 ch. combo is, a LP, strat, and tele.
                        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Ok here's what you can do: give me the Framus, sell everything else but the Marshall and save up for the Bogner. Then we'll all be happy!
                          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                          • G&L Tribute Comanche
                          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by OlinMusic
                            Ok, I am going to ARGUE on this one

You cannot get MUCH BETTER tone than the PLEXI
                            Sure you can.......

With 2 Plexi's.

Then it's MUCH MUCH BETTER!

I already gave mine but I'll repeat...keep the '73 and the 6100.

Comment

How about finding a used Fender Tonemaster head? The few times I heard them, they sounded great......then of course, it was Joe Perry and Jimmy Page playing them.......lol And no doubt about keeping the handwired 73.....jus go ahead and build a shrine and worship the thing daily...lol
                              '01 Firebird V
                              '04 Martin HD28V
                              '66 Vibrolux Reverb