Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogner Shiva Gain Boost Mod

Anyone used it?

I was talking to Bogner today and they were saying it's a great way to get more volume and gain at the same time, and you can set it to any level. They add a small knob on the face plate. It's cheap too - $150!
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Re: Bogner Shiva Gain Boost Mod

I think they should update the Shiva by adding that boost volume, and also a midrange knob on the clean channel. They should also redesign the Shiva FX loop so you don't need a special cable.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

AH, this is why I have not bought one.

I needs a 3rd channel too.

If they would just fix the loop and allow you to vary the mid or gain on the first channel - it would be quite an amp! (not that is isn't great!)
      1973 Les Paul Standard

Comment

I think the clean channel on the Shiva is perfect..... I would not change a thing. I get all I want out of it and it is so simple to set up. It took me a little while to dial it in, but now its right. What I would like is a volume adjustment on the boost and it would be nice to have a boost level for both channels. I also spoke with Bogner about the clean boost mod. I have decided to hold off on it at this time, but it sounds like something I may want to do in the future
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Another thing to consider is buying a high quality OD, like an SFX-3, FDII, or OCD, and adding more versatility. As long as it's a true linear clean boost, it's like adding another channel or two to the amp.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I have an OCD, but I don't think all amps are a great clean pallete to accept pedals in the front end. My Mesas were somewhat of an example. I used a Dual Rec that could NOT take pedals.
            1973 Les Paul Standard

Comment

If you guys don't want to have your Shiva's modded, do what I did... make the special cable for the FX Loop and put a clean boost in it (I use a GoutierFX Crystal Boost, but I think any MOSFET based clean boost will work). I can now footswitch to volumes that aren't ever going to be necessary and I can get sustain now without needing gain (although if a overdrive pedal is set lightly, it can do wonders for solos).

The Bogner Shiva is probably the most perfect amplifier I've ever used. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not quite so picky anymore with my tone or I've just learned to work with what I've got, but I really get the tones covered that are inside of my head with it.

I'll let you Shiva guys in on a secret, there is a way to make a perfect cable for the FX Loop and it's NOT the values that Bogner recommends. I got it from a man named Rob Chafe (he posted a review in Harmony-Central and let me in on the secrets of the FX Cable). You connect a 4.7k resistor from the tip of the plug to the ground on the plug and then you connect a 47k resistor (Bogner recommended a 100K) from the tip of the plug to the center conductor of the cable (make sure the cable's ground shielding does NOT come in contact with the ground on the plug). That's all you have to do and it's perfect... I LOVE the FX Loop on it
              Originally posted by kevlar3000
              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
              Originally posted by Zerberus
              Better is often the enemy of good
              Originally posted by ginormous
              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
              X